+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Private hospital births: 'horror' figures

Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    I wonder what the stats would be like for women suffering on going complications as a result of not having any intervention or the incorrect intervention by an inexperienced doctor in the public system?
    If they require intervention, might not be low risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yeh, because lots of women would ask for an episiotomy!
    Some women actually do request an episiotomy....It's usually a cultural thing and midwives/ob's generally refuse to unless there is a medical reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I think they are higher cos you have the choice. When dd2 was born the replacement ob (my one was away - early arrival!) offered me gas, TENS, peth, sterile water injections, epi and a pudendal (sp) block. There was an anaes next room over.

Didn't need them (more too late) but I was stunned at my choices. ESP since I knew I wouldn't have to pay for anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Some women actually do request an episiotomy....It's usually a cultural thing and midwives/ob's generally refuse to unless there is a medical reason.
    True! My ob told me this too!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I think they are higher cos you have the choice. When dd2 was born the replacement ob (my one was away - early arrival!) offered me gas, TENS, peth, sterile water injections, epi and a pudendal (sp) block. There was an anaes next room over.

Didn't need them (more too late) but I was stunned at my choices. ESP since I knew I wouldn't have to pay for anything.
    I'm not too sure what you mean by this.... You have all these choices at public hospitals, and you don't have to pay either... All you have to do is ask....

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think women in the private system are more prone to the cascade of intervention (where one 'simple' intervention leads to another, sort of a snowball effect). Rates of induction in private hospitals are a lot higher than in public, regardless of wether or not it's requested by the woman it still leads to a higher risk of more intervention which the woman may not of wanted in the beginning. Given that more woman suffer PTSD than people who fight in wars something isn't going right.

Some comparisons here http://www.mybirth.com.au/where.html

7. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (10-09-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    She said the intervention rates of obstetricians should be made public, for example through the federal government's MyHospitals website.
    Now that would be interesting reading. I think it should also extend to hospitals too.

Thanks
    Reviews

Having given birth in a private hospital they were pretty keen to intervene. They pretty much scoffed at my plan for a natural drug-free birth. Am going public this time where I believe I have a much better chance of a natural birth. I was discussing today with my midwife would I need a caesarean for a breech baby. She gave me a very balanced view that I doubt an OB would have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really question the author of this study. To make a comment that all OBs "...had a tendency to see all births as risky until the baby was delivered." is such a generalisation and factually unsupported. The study could not have proven this as it's a subjective statement.

Furthermore, some of us choose to see an OB, not because we are "high-risk", but because we feel more comfortable with having continuity of care by one doctor that is a highly trained professional, or even because we just want to go to a private hospital. There could be many reasons.

The author then goes on to suggest ''There is also strong incentive for surgeons to 'schedule in' women for induced births to make their workload and patient flow easier.'' Most OBs accept their job as being 24/7 and cannot possibly "schedule" all their patients to be induced, so therefore what is the incentive really to induce some of your patients, you will still have a large proportion of patients that go into labour spontaneously and naturally. Can hardly see how you could really manipulate your workload that much to make a real difference.

I can only go by my experience and that of many, many of my friends and colleagues that have birthed in private hospitals and the majority of us had vaginal births. My OB for example does not perform elective C-sections (I know because I have asked). In my last pregnancy, when I was over my due date, she said I would have to wait at least 5-10 days before she would induce me. During my labour, when I was finding it really difficult and begged for the vacuum, she wouldn't use it. I really don't think she is unique in this respect. I believe most OBs prefer not to do c-sections unless they have to, due to the higher rate of complications that potentially can occur, there is more risk & liability for them. I guess I just think it is a bit of misnomer to think all OBs prefer intervention. Either way, it's all about choice and personal experience.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lila123 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (11-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yeh, because lots of women would ask for an episiotomy!
    Whilst I did not ask for one, and was given one without informing me let alone asking my consent, I wish to mention that I have directly overheard other women demanding an episotomy in the labour ward. I remember one very vocal woman insisting that she needed one because she had a 3rd degree tear last time. I also remember a first time mother insisting that a clean cut will heal better than a tear.

So whilst I personally didn't request one, there were definately other women who did.