+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tonsillectomy... avoidable?

Has anyone ever had a child with recurrent chronic tonsillitis and managed to make it stop by using alternative therapies?

Something I saw on fb got me thinking. DD had her tonsils and adenoids out at 18 months. (8 months ago). I did every bit of research I could, saw chinese dr's, tried every alternative, but nothing made a difference. Thus, I had to have the operation done to fix it.

When I say she had chronic recurrent tonsillitis, I mean she had it for 7 days out of every fortnight from 6 months until she had them out at 18 months. AB's didn't help so I stopped getting them.

So did anything other than AB's or having them out help your LO?

And I don't want a debate about it not being my right to decide on surgery or not being neccessary. It was in my case and had I not done it. DD at 2 would still not be eating solids and would still be losing weight and constantly sick.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I would love to know too... I've got my 20mth old on my chest recovering from T's & A's removal this morning.

But his older brother has just started with recurrent tonsillitis now for the last 6wks

I think it could be because they share things now as kids do - drinks/food/kisses etc

Fx this one getting them out helps our other one not get it anymore....

How'd your daughter recover after her op? I'm stressing about his pain & screaming etc as the dr has only written him up for Panadol.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

DS had about 14 bouts of tonsillitis between age 1 and 2. In the past year, I think he's only had it 3 times.

When he gets it his tonsils are humongous, but when he's well, they are normal size.

So while a pead has said they don't just grow out of it, I'm hoping DS has!!

After the 3-4th time he had it, we didn't bother with anti's either. They didn't seem to shorten the duration and gave him the runs as well. So I just dosed him with Panadol and Nurofen and had lots of cuddles on the first 2-3 days before he started to feel better.

I did see a naturopath, but she wanted him to go off milk which I wasn't comfortable with and we couldn't afford the rice milk he suggested as an alternative ($3+ for 1L!!). But after seeing her, he started to get it less even though we didn't do what she suggested and he wouldn't take the tonics she gave us.

Hope both your LO's recover quickly. I thought we would have to do surgery too but hoping the lessening of times he has it means we can escape it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Tonsillectomy... avoidable?

Hey Opaque,

How is your LO doing now? How are you going? I know how I was feeling so I hope you're ok.

With DD, she was great after her op. Obviously the first few hours sucked and were scary for her but she did so well.

I think day 3 was the worst because that's when the scabs form etc. You just have yo make sure you keep on top of the pain meds.

We got day and night painstop for DD for when we were told to stop the endone (day 5). But to be honest, she only really needed small doses of pain relief after that. We had a follow up at day 7 and the surgeon was really happy with her recovery.

Keeping up fluids is paramount. Don't stress too much about foods. Try to get him to eat but don't force him. (I'm sure you know this)

Oh also, I staged the pain relief. So I would give painstop at say 7am then at 10 I would give painstop then nurofen at 1 etc. To make sure that it didn't wear off and not be able to give her more for another hour or 2. Another option is to give half doses so he's having it more often to keep on top of it.

I hope it's all going as well as it should.

Thanks
    Reviews

Californication,

I'm glad it's slowing down for your LO. It is such a crap disease. My DD had massive tonsils all the time. When she was sick though, she could barely swallow liquids they were that close. I think she had grade 4? when she wasn't ill.

I have a friend who's dd is suffering from it constantly and she is 7. Someone said to her that she souldn't get them removed because it is not her body to cut things out of... pfft. If it's causing major issues, I say take em out.

I was curious if there was in fact any other way to stop it besides surgery. Although I fid all the research possible for my DD and the op was the only option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 18mth old is prone to getting tonsilitis. The drs intend to see how he goes for the next year then investigate further re removing them if it still continues.
    I can't see how there could be an alternative permanent cure other than removal.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    A lot of the times when people have success with alternate therapies its when they have milder cases, Sounds like your DD was suffering badly from it.

If i had a dollar for everytime someone told me how i could fix my DD with this that and the other and not use medical or surgical interventions, I would be rich but DD would also not be alive.

Natural medicine has its place dont get me wrong im all for it but its not always going to work on servere cases

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    A lot of the times when people have success with alternate therapies its when they have milder cases, Sounds like your DD was suffering badly from it.

If i had a dollar for everytime someone told me how i could fix my DD with this that and the other and not use medical or surgical interventions, I would be rich but DD would also not be alive.

Natural medicine has its place dont get me wrong im all for it but its not always going to work on servere cases
    Same. I am all for natural therapies and will always look for that option first, I feel like tgis person is being quite harsh to me friend (who also prefers natural therapies) in regards to her having her dd operated on. Some people are just clueless.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    My 18mth old is prone to getting tonsilitis. The drs intend to see how he goes for the next year then investigate further re removing them if it still continues.
    I can't see how there could be an alternative permanent cure other than removal.
    It sucks doesn't it. Have they told you what grade they are? Have you had them looked at when he's not sick?

DD's was hayfever induced first few times then her body just decided to go full force on it's own. Although she always had large tonsils. She always gagged on food, snorted while drinking every feed and also could never swallow so a lot of her problem was because of OSD.

Thanks
    Reviews

We were told not to give nurofen for two weeks after surgery. And he only had Panadol in hosp.

We've been discharged now & I've got him on pain stop 4hrly.

Giving nurofen would help so much so we could do our normal 3hrly alternate dosing.

He's eating well but not drinking as much as normal but still an acceptable amount.

Any mums know if I can use nurofen??? Our dr said no, but he also said no to anything other than Panadol too