+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Solids?

My DD is 4 months and I'm excited about starting solids. I know the recommended age now varies between 4 -6 months but I'm unsure how to know if she is 'ready'. What were some of the signs that indicated your little one was keen?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Solids?

My DD was intently watching everything mouthful I was taking and kind of smacking her lips together. So cute I gave her some avocado off my sandwich and then started her on lots more. Have fun

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Solids?

Some of the ready signs are: can sit up and hold neck well, shows interest when sees you eat, can take food in instead of pushing tongue out when you give her a tiny amount of food to try like avocado..

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Solids?

Hey I started DD on solids a couple of weeks ago she's 5 months she was watching us eat and reaching to grab our food, I could tell she was keen... And she was! She demolished half a banana... Turned out to be a bad choice as it made her constipated. Pear next which she loved but again no poop for 4 days. Btw I was giving solids once a day once a week. So anyway I've decided to wait a little longer as her digestive system is obviously not agreeing with solids. I suggest you start very slowly, maybe like 20mls of puréed pear or prune. Peas zucchini and pumpkin are also very good first foods. I'm going to avoid cereals and the like as I see them as a filler rather then a nutritious food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to a talk at my local early childhood clinic and they said once you've started, you can't stop, and also that your milk supply will decrease. I've decided to wait another few weeks, until DS is somewhere in his 6th month.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Solids?

Quote Originally Posted by VikkiB View Post
    I went to a talk at my local early childhood clinic and they said once you've started, you can't stop, and also that your milk supply will decrease. I've decided to wait another few weeks, until DS is somewhere in his 6th month.
    Your milk will decrease only if you're replacing milk feeds with solids, if you don't want to stop breastfeeding you can keep going and adding the solids on top as baby's food intake increases... I've seen a few friends do that and it worked for them.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Solids?

Thanks everyone. I think we may wait a bit. My milk supply is still too much so not worried about that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i too got excited at this stage and i started the baby cereal at about 5mths old. She would watch us eat intensely and take food off our plates around this age.
    I dont regret starting solids this early and it had no ill effects on DD. However, with my next bub, depending if breastfeeding is going well, i wont be starting solids untill 6mths + as i want to exclusively breastfeed for 6mths. (something i was not able to do with DD but muchly wanted to) and i will be telling people to bugger off who tell me any differently!!!!
    If you feel comfortable starting solids and bubs can hold her head up and preferably sit upright then go for it.
    It will effect your milk supply, so just be aware of that.
    Last edited by Hunkamunka; 12-09-2012 at 13:11.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Solids?

DD's head control isn't fantastic do might wait a bit. I'm actually hoping that my milk supply will be affected as I still have a massive oversupply and always feel full.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Solids?

It's great you are excited but there is absolutely no need to rush!

Best physical signs are;
    Sitting up unaided
    Lost tongue reflex
    Can grip and pick up food

Just because they try and grab food does not make them ready! You could have put a red back spider in front of my 4 month old DS and he would have tried to grab that!