+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When will this stop???

Hi. I have a 4 1/2 week old DD. She was a dream for the first 3 1/2 weeks - cluster feeding a lot but settling well. The past week or so has been horrid. She seems to be feeding quickly and only takes one breast before getting sleepy. I have tried all of the suggestions to wake her up and keep feeding but she won't. It does seem as though my breasts are well drained. Anyway, she'll sleep in my arms for a bit but the SECOND I put her down she screams and will not settle unless she comfort feeds again and it's not a decent feed, just snacking. It's happening all day and night now.
    I don't want to give a dummy - I did that with DS and regret it for my own reasons.
    DD is putting on stacks of weight - 300 - 470g a week and I have a LOT of milk.
    I don't mind feeding every 2hrs (the longest she'll go) but I can't handle the crying in between. I simply cannot hold her ALL the time when I have to care for 2 yr old DS too. If I don't let her cry though, she'll feed every 30-40 mins. How on earth can I stretch her feeds out to three hours or so (and is that normal at this age???) and get some rest in between? Let her cry a bit? At just nearly 5 weeks???

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My suggestion is Give a dummy, though I know you don't want to.

I think you need to do what makes life easy and if a dummy makes life easy then go for it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

DD has a dummy too it's just easier that way, tho I worry because I had a hard time giving up my dummy (I was 5 yrs old!!!). You could give the dummy till she falls asleep then take it so she's not sucking on it all night&day.
    Have you tried laying down with her? My DD wakes up easily too so I'll put her down on our bed and lay down next to her when she falls asleep I get up slowly and she sleeps :-) I do this during the day... Before she figured out how to roll!

Thanks
    Reviews

Possibly a growth spurt? Try a carrier maybe. It saved me for the first 8 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews

I was going to suggest dummy too. It's been a sanity saver for me!

DD is 4 months and only recently has started going more than 2hrs in between feeds. Sometimes she'd go a little less than 2 hours. When she was that small I only ever fed her from one side, to make sure she got a decent portion of hind milk (which is the stuff that keeps then fuller for longer!) that really helped. To get a good feed I'd often take her off and change her nappy when she started falling asleep. She'd wake up usually enough to have a bit more.

Other things to try could be a little rocker chair, one that you can sit her in and rock with your foot to keep her happy (& maybe fall asleep!) while you get some work done.

A sling/ wrap could also be worth a try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought a motorised rocker off ebay for $25 (bargain!) and named it 'Robo-nanny' when my DD was around that age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi hun, I know it is hard! I expect my bub will do this shortly aswell. This sounds like a growth spurt to me. Take to bed and rest and feed when she wants, it should not
    ast for longer than 2 weeks if it is a growth spurt. Check for oral thrush, as this hurts and can interrupt feeding as well. This is my 3rd bub and what I do is to feed her when she wants it, when she falls asleep i change her nappy thisseems to wake her propperly and then offer the same breast again to make sure she gets the filling hind milk. When she starts comfort sucking change breasts, if she still wants milk she will drink some more if it is just for comfort she would not want a full breast and refuse or release. This way if bubs were only comfort sucking you woke her for a nappy change and she has to self settle and not use your breast as a dummy.

HTH

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zanne For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (11-09-2012)