Closed Thread
Page 168 of 185 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 1844
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default IVF Babies Due Jan/Feb/Mar 2013 #3

Can baby catch whooping cough off a mother who doesn't have it but their kid does?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Broom, I would not be messing with whooping cough. In speaking to a nurse at my medical centre, it is very contagious and can kill your baby so don't even take a chance. I know that our patents generation are advised to get a booster as when they received the shot when they where younger, it was a time when medical villes where not in fridges or controlled environments. They where left in doctors cars, or in esky's.

also that is a lot of pressure and undue stress your family is putting on you. Especially as you could be late or have complications, not to mention it will be a massive shock when you bring bubs home. The last hthing you need are people in your house while you and dp are trying to bond and gt to know each other. Your family will have plenty of time to meet and cuddle your baby, but you will never get those first few moments at home back ever again. I would be saying maybe come down 3-4 weeks after your due date, and you can't stay with us. I know it sounds harsh but this time isn't really about them it is about you and yours. My brother banned us from visiting for 6wks. My mum is an overbearing pain in the butt and she was offended but had to respect the wishes of a new family. She got over it very quickly and doesn't hold it against hem at all

Dont feel guilty about it either, its not about them

Meshel, anyone who has a sniffle or is unhygienic isn't stepping one foot into my house... We have to protect our precious bundles, no one else will.

Thanks
    Reviews

Ps: broom the nurses will usually offer you a whooping cough a booster in hospital before you go home - they did in the private hospital anyway :-)

I totally agree with you Nala!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    whopping cough - great topic!! where do you draw the line at who you think should have it - myself and hubby have had it - I guess I need to make sure that my in laws have it and my sister in laws - if someone asks to hold your baby can you say have you had the whopping cough vaccination, if no, then no you can't! I guess it will be easier once baby is here and my protective mode cranks up but is is something that I'm stressed about. Also interesting fact the midwife in the classes told us - that people are more likely to ask to hold your baby if they are in the cot rather than mum holding baby...

Thanks
    Reviews

Great advice SL if you don't want someone to hold your baby make sure you are holding him or her! Lol or say "oh I am just about to give him/her a feed" or "I don't want I overstimulate him/her she/he is due for a sleep, lots of people he cuddled today". Or just maybe another time :-)

I am making sure that anyone having close contact with the baby has a booster, most others won't be around until after my dd has had her first immunisation at 2 months so I'm trying not to get too paranoid...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Broom - Im in a similar situation
    my dad is flying in from QLD and so is my sister
    I have asked them to come at different times (sister in April, dad in feb) as its hard having 2 guests at the best of times!
    My dad wants to be here for the birth (I totally understand!) but I have asked that for the first 3 nights that I'm home from hospital that he goes to a motel down the road (walking distance) as I need that time for DS to get used to it all, as well as us!!!! If DS plays up at all ill ask dad to stay in the motel longer. If DS is ok, then dad can come back.
    Mum lives 45 mins away, so I'm sure she will also want to stay overnight. although mum and dad don't get along AT ALL!!! so I'm not sure what to do!

when it comes to kids - I always tell mums with new babies if DS even has a runny nose, so I hope for the same respect when I'm in hospital.
    I won't have people come to visit if they are sick

when i was in hospital, i made sure that anyone could visit (within reason! and within visiting hours!!!) BUT they had to call us to ask if we were ok to have guests
    most people called/texted and they were good, but some didn't. I had DH meet them in the hall if i wasn't up for a visit.
    the day after i gave birth about 10 people came in!!!! DS was in neo-nates and I was wiped!!!!! we set hard rules straight after that!!!!!
    People mean well and I held nothing against anyone, but we are doing things very differently this time round!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah we have been thinking the same. Definately parents and in laws, 2 out of 3 of my brothers, my SIL and a lot of our friends have infants so they are fine.

I personally have never been told I can't hold a newborn unless I have had one, but I will never see a newborn if I have a sniff or a hint of feeling unwell.

I think they advise it more for those who will be around bubs a lot rather than those that are popping in to say hello. Good point re people not offering if mum I'd holding bubs, very interesting indeed. If your in a really protective mood throw a wrap over and say your feeding

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Broom, I would tell your family how you feel. I did'nt tell my family how I felt when I had my twins and it was terrible. I had so many visitors. You need time with your husband and new baby. I am not even telling family when I am having bub. This is a time where you have to put yourself first. It is hard to let your family know how you feel. But it will make you feel much more relaxed. All the best with what you decided to do. Kel

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    thanks for all the advice on this topic - I guess hubby and I just need to talk about who will be in close contact for the first couple of months rather than being paranoid about friends or family you dont see as much which I am assuming will be my in laws and one of my SILs family. Also I have been to see plenty of newborns at the hospital of the last few years and I have never asked to hold one - have only held the baby if I have been offered - so I don't think I will offer - will only offer to close family for pics...

Thanks
    Reviews

My younger sister and her partner are coming up for a month and staying in a motel with my dad thought that was nice as my sister understands we need time to adapt.
    As for the mother in law a complete different story she like ill be there as soon as you have bub she is so over controlling and always has her say I lost my sh.t at her an said just because my mum isn't here as she passed away doesn't mean you will replace her "is that bad " then I said come after a wk of us being at home she had the hide to say well I dnt care who's at your house I want the spare room god he makes me mad its all about her I get the excitement as tho is the first grand child but after all these yrs it's all new to us I ended up telling my hubby your mother sort her out or I will lol