+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Kindergarten or leave DS at child care?

Hi all,
    I was hoping some of you might help me make a decision regarding DS who turns 4 in Jan and kindergarten.

He currently attends a kinder funded child care 2 days a week, and he is happy there. My dilemma is, the kindergarten is only a few doors down from my house, and child care is about a 10 min drive away. I dont know wether i should just leave him where he is,or do I take him out of day care and put him in the kinder that is close to home.

Will he get better education at kinder seeing as he will attend 4 days a wk instead of 3 at child care? Do I move him away from his friends and the lovely ladies at child care?(I would only move him if the education side of things is better)

Pls help, Im not sure what to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD was in Day Care (inconvenient to get to but she loved it) but I new when she hit 4 I wanted to start preparing her for a school environment. In her day care the older kids mixed with the younger ones and it worried me she wouldn't get that focus preparation of being amongst kids her own age. I also thought DD was starting to become too old for Day Care (just little signs).

So the local kindy was very nice and she loved it and the teacher is fantastic so I made the right decision to move here there. It is convenient as well.

I've had friends who didn't want to move to kindy because they needed the long days for work. They are happy with their decision as well.

I'm sure, as you get closer to the decision, you will make the right one. I recommend checking the kindys out and putting your DS down just so you have covered all your options.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For a start kindy would be cheaper for you. I would definitely put him in kindy, it's more structured, they learn so much more than in daycare. The 2 aren't comparable! The education side of things is better for sure. Perhaps some of his friends at daycare will be going to the same kindy, if not I am sure he will make new friends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies. To be honest, I am edging towards moving him. We had the 3.5 yr check up a few days ago, and I agree with you Kimberlygal that I think more structured education would be better for him if they offer that at kindy.

Samken, youre right about the mixing of ages in day care, I didnt think of that! So what sort of things should I look for in a kindergarten?

Thanks
    Reviews

My DS was in a daycare for his kindergarten year but they do have a kindy program and I feel they've adequately prepared him for prep next year

Thanks
    Reviews
    I looked at two kindies. Both were excellent and had good reputations but one really stood out and my gut instinct said go with that one. Basically I work on vibes. Big playing areas, lots of books, happy people, happy children......I mean it just feels right.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samken For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (10-09-2012),SpiritofaWarrior  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by samken View Post
    I looked at two kindies. Both were excellent and had good reputations but one really stood out and my gut instinct said go with that one. Basically I work on vibes. Big playing areas, lots of books, happy people, happy children......I mean it just feels right.
    Yes, for you to feel comfortable is important.
    We are Catholic so we swayed towards the Catholic one anyway but we did check out the public one as well and didn't feel comfy with the public one, the yards weren't as clean, the teachers were younger with a higher turnover of staff. Wheras the catholic school, the yards were set up better, cleaner and better play areas, the teachers have been there longer and are older. We also liked the fact that this school has a strict uniform policy. He loves getting into his uniform and looks so handsome So cute.
    We no doubt made the right decision. Ds absolutely loves kindy, he is so fascinated with things he's learning, his teacher and the aide are great, you just feel so welcome walking through the gates of the school, everyone says hello.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wouldn't move my son as it took him so long to settle in at daycare. But it would be different if he was more social and adapted better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD did kinder at daycare, it was fantastic and she was well and truly ready for school when she started, despite being one of the youngest.

I'm curious to know what other kids learnt at kinder that my DD didn't?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Yes, for you to feel comfortable is important.
    We are Catholic so we swayed towards the Catholic one anyway but we did check out the public one as well and didn't feel comfy with the public one, the yards weren't as clean, the teachers were younger with a higher turnover of staff. Wheras the catholic school, the yards were set up better, cleaner and better play areas, the teachers have been there longer and are older. We also liked the fact that this school has a strict uniform policy. He loves getting into his uniform and looks so handsome So cute.
    We no doubt made the right decision. Ds absolutely loves kindy, he is so fascinated with things he's learning, his teacher and the aide are great, you just feel so welcome walking through the gates of the school, everyone says hello.
    Nothing wrong with younger teachers...!
    In fact, a lot of the time they make up experience with fresh ideas and knowledge of new strategies