+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't think you should say you are disappointed with Julia gillard then if you don't even know what the federal government's responsibilities are.
    Um well shes against gay marriage and other things so yes i think i have every right to say im disappointed in julia gillard.

Doesnt matter what her or her parties responsiblities are. Shes against something i feel strongly about - so that is a disappointment

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbygirl View Post
    Um well shes against gay marriage and other things so yes i think i have every right to say im disappointed in julia gillard.

Doesnt matter what her or her parties responsiblities are. Shes against something i feel strongly about - so that is a disappointment
    Did you not know that before the election?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I was in NYC a month before Obama was elected and it was all everyone was talking about, not just tv but taxi drivers, waitresses, retail assistants , they all seemed really passionate about it which I think we just don't have here as clearly a lot of people find voting a waste of time, I think it would make the politicians work harder for your vote if they actually had to convince you to cast one!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

We've always postal voted as we work Saturday's, it's soooo much easier !

Thanks
    Reviews

I can honestly say i did not! That year unfortunetely was a beyond a horrible year and my focus was else where.

I didnt even know about the election untill mere weeks before hand and that was thanks to a family member.

What got me to vote for her was the 1st women thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    there are OPTIONS - if you don't want to stand in line - or if you work, or are away etc - you can postal vote.. you juts need to be an organised adult and prioritise your time.
    You get plenty of warning

If it wasn't set up this way (everyone having to have their named ticked off the electoral role) -- it would be waaaaay to easy for corruption and unfair games to be played.

Seriously - whinging about having to vote is like whinging about having to have your car registered...

ANd that is all it is - ''a whinge'' .don't try and act like someone is taking a choice AWAY from you, or FORCING you to do anything.
    nothing 'bad' will happen to you if you don't vote - you will either lose a small amount of time or a small amount of money...
    You will not be thrown in jail, you will not have your life threatened, you will not have your family threatened...you won't even have a black mark against your name like people cop on their credit history if they are overdue with a utility bill.

We are incredibly FORTUNATE that we have the right to vote.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (10-09-2012),beebs  (09-09-2012),Busy-Bee  (09-09-2012),Guest654  (09-09-2012),SassyMummy  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    there are OPTIONS - if you don't want to stand in line - or if you work, or are away etc - you can postal vote.. you juts need to be an organised adult and prioritise your time.
    You get plenty of warning

If it wasn't set up this way (everyone having to have their named ticked off the electoral role) -- it would be waaaaay to easy for corruption and unfair games to be played.

Seriously - whinging about having to vote is like whinging about having to have your car registered...

ANd that is all it is - ''a whinge'' .don't try and act like someone is taking a choice AWAY from you, or FORCING you to do anything.
    nothing 'bad' will happen to you if you don't vote - you will either lose a small amount of time or a small amount of money...
    You will not be thrown in jail, you will not have your life threatened, you will not have your family threatened...you won't even have a black mark against your name like people cop on their credit history if they are overdue with a utility bill.

We are incredibly FORTUNATE that we have the right to vote.
    I find your post very rude.

Trying to portray me as some irresponsible adult who cant manage her time so shes having a whinge....

For one my job relies soley on me having excellent time management.
    I also have ocd organising skills.

I am a single mother of 2 with no family living near me so i manage all day to day responsiblities 100% on my own.

Iv actually been told to relax and that its ok for life to be a but messy.

So no your opinion is not relevant. My opinion is my thoughts on this matter.

After a horrid year i was placed on silent voting so it is all sent to my mail box now - and yet this is still my opinion.

They have taken a choice away from me. One that contradicts its self

Opinion not a whinge. YOUR opinion is not the only right opinion thankyou very much.
    So dont try to put someone down or act like my opinion is nothing but dog poo just because You disagree

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I can honestly say i did not! That year unfortunetely was a beyond a horrible year and my focus was else where.

I didnt even know about the election untill mere weeks before hand and that was thanks to a family member.

What got me to vote for her was the 1st women thing.
    I still don't know how you can say she was a disappointment then, when you knew nothing of her policies/beliefs.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 09-09-2012 at 21:32.

Thanks
    Reviews

I still don't know how you can say she was a disappointment when you knew nothing of her policies/beliefs.
    Ok il say itl again she does not believe in gay couples having the right to marry and stated that she will be voting againist it.

That disappointed me and lost my future vote

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Well i dont really believe in conspiracy theories so to speak but there is a benefit - the hopes that more people will vote for either party.

While voting is a huge incovinence, especially as a single mother working all hours- standing in line for extremely long periods does make me resent it even more.

And im not gonna go through all that just to hand in a blank form!

But that is not my reason behind my opinion on voting.

Yes we have moved foward in that women and all colours can vote.

But, it went for the law being no its illegal for you to vote - to being no its illegal for you not to vote and if you dont you will cop a fine.

So to me that hasnt moved foward or backwards - its the same.

For me and some others i know its the not having a choice to vote - yes i know i know hand in a blank form , scribble over the page blah blah blah

But that still is not giving me the choice/option/freedom to decide wether i vote.

Its me going against the law.

And at the same time - its compulsory to vote yet you can hand in a blank form.... That seems like a bit of a contradiction or 'insert better word'.

Its just how i feel. Its something i cant help its just what it is.
    As a single mother you should know that you are part of a demographic that is often most affected by the government, so your vote is an important one.

Yes, it's compulsory to vote and yet you can hand in a blank form- this is the bit where YOUR CHOICE comes in. If you do not wish to cast a vote, you do this, therefore exercising your choice not to vote. It's pretty simple. You are complaining that you don't have a choice, more than one person here has told you that you have the option of a blank ballot ("blah blah blah") but you say this is still not giving you the choice of whether or not to vote. But it IS! you don't want your voice heard, you don't want to have a say, you don't want to pick a candidate, then DON'T! Leave the form blank. Do it on a postal vote and you don't even have to line up.

You can't complain that you don't have a choice and then complain that you are allowed to hand in a blank form. You can't have it both ways. Handing in a blank form is actually not illegal according to the AEC and even so, it's a secret ballot so no one would ever know you did.

It might be just how you feel but I'm sorry, it doesn't make sense.