+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbygirl View Post
    Well in regards to local voting. I feel the same. Our last voting had most i know confused and nothing is different to when the last person won.

Things that desperately needed attention for children safety werent even glanced at.

Federal - local - its all the same to me.
    Do you even know what the responsibilities of each level of government is?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    I understand what your saying, however I feel if we did not have to go and vote some people would just be too lazy to go, and being a multicultural country I'm sure some women would be made to feel not worthy of voting.
    Also stats show countries like the US where you don't have to vote that it is mostly the upper classes that vote as opposed to the meer mortals.
    Oh absolutely! but i still feel that we should still have a choice!

Why i feel this way - well when i turned 18 there was a big election right after and i was SOOOO excited andd pumped.

I stood in line literally for hrs! Voted. And found the disapointment in politics soon after. I suppose that made me resent being forced to vote.

And women being made to feel not worthy of voting - not even just women - anyone made to feel that way - is disgusting and the fact that that still happens just makes me lose faith in humans to think that they are better than some one based on sex or race!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Do you live in Julia's electorate?
    Thats lalor, victoria isnt it? If thats correct then no.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Do you even know what the responsibilities of each level of government is?
    No, but im sure im not the only one.
    Also i dont think it matters wether i know which level is responsible for what. If i need to resolve something then i find out who to go to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes but your still being forced to go wether you do a donkey - informal - real vote.

Second well i think honestly we havent moved foward in the sense that women were forced not to vote then and women are forced to vote now.

Where excatly is the change or moving foward?? They controlled us then and they control us now.

They just try to cover it up by saying oh but women can have a say now.

But where excatly is our choice in having a say......
    I'm sorry to me another to quote this ..

..but - seriously!!???

Women are over 50% of the population
    - The entire ADULT population has the right to vote - it is a freedom.

with Rights come responsibilities.

The most recent election was for local members - everybody should have received at least a flyer in their letter box with a brief run down on what the individual members are prioritising - you have the freedom to educate in the matter.
    You also have the freedom to pop an informal vote in the ballot box if you don't feel you want to contribute.

Compulsory voting is fair.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-09-2012),Guest654  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I did my first donkey vote recently, in a council election, because not one of them had bothered to put a little advert in my mail box so I didn't have a clue who any of them were. That's fine - in those instances I know what parties generally follow my beliefs better than the others - but the ballot didn't include any indication of party and the only people outside campaigning were Family Firsters, so that was the only name I could put to a party... and no way in hell were they getting me vote for that.

Rather than risk voting for someone opposing my views, I just handed in an empty ballot.
    I did this too. I knew absolutely nothing about anyone who I was supposed to be voting for so took my papers, wrote 'not voting' across the top and dropped them in the appropriate places.
    I'll be honest, I'm not overly interested in politics (yes I know I should be, but I'm not) and I'm not going to go out of my way to look for info on them so with no advertising, no pamphlets in the mail (I did get pamphlets...but just 'vote for me' ones. Not one councillor had bothered with a brief summary of what they stood for on the pamphlets I got...just vote 1 Jo Blow) etc. I didn't know who anyone was and so I voted for no one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Yes but your still being forced to go wether you do a donkey - informal - real vote.

Second well i think honestly we havent moved foward in the sense that women were forced not to vote then and women are forced to vote now.

Where excatly is the change or moving foward?? They controlled us then and they control us now.

They just try to cover it up by saying oh but women can have a say now.

But where excatly is our choice in having a say......
    But you are not forced to cast a vote. Leave the form blank. Or dont go and cop the fine.That is where you have your choice in having a say. It seems to me you just resent physically going to a polling booth to vote. So postal vote. Or attend an office where you can vote prior to the election.

Compulsory voting is not the govt's attempt to control you, it's not a conspiracy, there is no benefit to them in doing this, it's is a way to ensure that every single adult in this country is given a voice when it comes to choosing our leaders and representatives on all levels of government. We all have a say in who runs our country from the ground up. Previously, only men and white people had that right. How can you say that is not moving forward?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-09-2012),NancyBlackett  (09-09-2012)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

Quote Originally Posted by Sariele View Post

If there was a party who came out and said they believed in actioning some pretty extreme (in a bad way) election promises, I'm sure it would be publicised enough that I would know not to vote for them.
    I think the problem with this is that the media is lacking in neutrality, the TV stations, radio stations and print media are owned by companies which follow the direction of owners and board members, and even though editors are meant to have editorial discretion, they do know who pays their wages. The result of this is the media often is a skewed, generally in favour of the more conservative parties.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-09-2012),beebs  (09-09-2012),Busy-Bee  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

No, but im sure im not the only one.
    Also i dont think it matters wether i know which level is responsible for what. If i need to resolve something then i find out who to go to.
    I don't think you should say you are disappointed with Julia gillard then if you don't even know what the federal government's responsibilities are.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    But you are not forced to cast a vote. Leave the form blank. Or dont go and cop the fine.That is where you have your choice in having a say. It seems to me you just resent physically going to a polling booth to vote. So postal vote. Or attend an office where you can vote prior to the election.

Compulsory voting is not the govt's attempt to control you, it's not a conspiracy, there is no benefit to them in doing this, it's is a way to ensure that every single adult in this country is given a voice when it comes to choosing our leaders and representatives on all levels of government. We all have a say in who runs our country from the ground up. Previously, only men and white people had that right. How can you say that is not moving forward?
    Well i dont really believe in conspiracy theories so to speak but there is a benefit - the hopes that more people will vote for either party.

While voting is a huge incovinence, especially as a single mother working all hours- standing in line for extremely long periods does make me resent it even more.

And im not gonna go through all that just to hand in a blank form!

But that is not my reason behind my opinion on voting.

Yes we have moved foward in that women and all colours can vote.

But, it went for the law being no its illegal for you to vote - to being no its illegal for you not to vote and if you dont you will cop a fine.

So to me that hasnt moved foward or backwards - its the same.

For me and some others i know its the not having a choice to vote - yes i know i know hand in a blank form , scribble over the page blah blah blah

But that still is not giving me the choice/option/freedom to decide wether i vote.

Its me going against the law.

And at the same time - its compulsory to vote yet you can hand in a blank form.... That seems like a bit of a contradiction or 'insert better word'.

Its just how i feel. Its something i cant help its just what it is.