+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Bubbygirl, serious questions now, why wouldn't you want to vote anyway? We have it a million times better now - even if we have to vote. Than a few decades ago when we weren't allowed to vote. That is what I feel. Is it because you don't particularly like any of the parties? Or is it just something you don't want to do even if there were parties that you liked?
    Well to start i think the way we vote now is a huge inconvinence!

Second yes if there was a party that i truely believed in yes id be more inclined to go out of my to be able to vote.

But today both parties (that actually have a shot a winning) are almost identical and are just sitting in their cushy house, cushy offices, cushy cars while alot of aussies are being laid off and are struggling with the basic everyday costs.

And lets face it neither are doing that great a job to deserve the perks they recieve.

Thirdly - because i HAVE to vote i did vote julia gilard and i have to same i was let down by her almost instantly.

BUT she lost my vote 100% when she announced on b105 that she will not be supporting gay marriage in some up coming voting however she tried to come off sounding ok by saying - though everyone in her party does get to vote with their own opinion not just hers.

Im not even lesbian or bi but that was just a big no no. Im sure alot of gay people voted her in and her saying that just put a terrible picture of her in my mind along with other views and opinions of her.

I guess not matter who wins, WE dont win
    Last edited by Bubbygirl; 09-09-2012 at 19:27.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbygirl View Post
    Yes but your still being forced to go wether you do a donkey - informal - real vote.

Second well i think honestly we havent moved foward in the sense that women were forced not to vote then and women are forced to vote now.

Where excatly is the change or moving foward?? They controlled us then and they control us now.

They just try to cover it up by saying oh but women can have a say now.

But where excatly is our choice in having a say......
    To say we have not moved forward is a unfair for those who fought for these changes.

Who exactly is controlling 'us'?
    Compulsory voting has nothing to do with being male/female it is just the opposite it evens everything out, so
    it does not matter man, woman, black, white, Jewish, catholic, rich or poor, we all get the same privilege- to choose who will lead the country.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    To say we have not moved forward is a unfair for those who fought for these changes.

Who exactly is controlling 'us'?
    Compulsory voting has nothing to do with being male/female it is just the opposite it evens everything out, so
    it does not matter man, woman, black, white, Jewish, catholic, rich or poor, we all get the same privilege- to choose who will lead the country.
    I guess see it as they fought for us to be able to have a say, and to me thats also stands for us having a say in wether we want to vote.

Oh i said women in which ever post it was because i was refering to back in the old days when women werent allowed to vote.

Who is controlling us - who ever it is who passed the law to make voting compulsory.

"we all get the same privilege- to choose who will lead the country."

Where is the privilege/right to choose wether you vote or not?

Im not 100% for or against voting BUT i am 100% for being able to choose which one i want to do without being fined.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Yes I think so or people wouldn't be bothered! Although I don't think you should be fined for it. It would also help if they made it easier to vote though. Like making it online. I think if it was made easier to vote then more people would be willing to do it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This is just so true, so evident in places like America.

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Seems those who vote informally or not at all tend to be the ones who the election outcomes will affect the most, in my experience. Which is a sad state of affairs IMO

Thanks
    Reviews

Where is the privilege/right to choose wether you vote or not?
    I understand what your saying, however I feel if we did not have to go and vote some people would just be too lazy to go, and being a multicultural country I'm sure some women would be made to feel not worthy of voting.
    Also stats show countries like the US where you don't have to vote that it is mostly the upper classes that vote as opposed to the meer mortals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All the passionate voters out there will hate me, but I just have ZERO interest in politics. When I vote, I tend to just number boxes randomly, unless there's any parties who I know are unpopular for whatever reason, then I will put them last. The very thought of reading about each parties' policies prior to voting puts me to sleep, and anyway, in the past when the party in power has changed, the noticable impact on my own life has always been minimal to none. Hence my extreme disinterest.

If there was a party who came out and said they believed in actioning some pretty extreme (in a bad way) election promises, I'm sure it would be publicised enough that I would know not to vote for them. But I will happily admit that the last time I voted for a local MP, it was because he looked friendly in his posters and had an hilariously awesome beard. That is how little I care. So in some ways, I don't think it's right that people like me should have to vote. Next time I might just do what a PP suggested and hand in blank forms; TBH I never even thought of doing that.

The only things I don't like about voting though are: 1) remembering that there's actually an election on, and remembering to go and vote, and 2) lining up for ages. If they can one day change it so you can vote online, then I don't really care if it's compulsory or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Well to start i think the way we vote now is a huge inconvinence!

Second yes if there was a party that i truely believed in yes id be more inclined to go out of my to be able to vote.

But today both parties (that actually have a shot a winning) are almost identical and are just sitting in their cushy house, cushy offices, cushy cars while alot of aussies are being laid off and are struggling with the basic everyday costs.

And lets face it neither are doing that great a job to deserve the perks they recieve.

Thirdly - because i HAVE to vote i did vote julia gilard and i have to same i was let down by her almost instantly.

BUT she lost my vote 100% when she announced on b105 that she will not be supporting gay marriage in some up coming voting however she tried to come off sounding ok by saying - though everyone in her party does get to vote with their own opinion not just hers.

Im not even lesbian or bi but that was just a big no no. Im sure alot of gay people voted her in and her saying that just put a terrible picture of her in my mind along with other views and opinions of her.

I guess not matter who wins, WE dont win
    Do you live in Julia's electorate?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (09-09-2012)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

Yes but your still being forced to go wether you do a donkey - informal - real vote.

Second well i think honestly we havent moved foward in the sense that women were forced not to vote then and women are forced to vote now.

Where excatly is the change or moving foward?? They controlled us then and they control us now.

They just try to cover it up by saying oh but women can have a say now.

But where excatly is our choice in having a say......
    I am not sure I get the argument that we were once forced not to and now we are forced to. I believe that we have equal access and obligation to vote and that is what its important to me.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    But not all votes are federal elections. The OP said she brought this up because of local council elections. Not too many cushy spots there or impact on those things, two party preferred isn't really even a factor. Lots of councils are full of independents and other parties. These impact land rates, playgrounds, local roads, building issues, local ammenities.. the list could go on but they all impact your local community. Surely that is a good reason to vote??
    Well in regards to local voting. I feel the same. Our last voting had most i know confused and nothing is different to when the last person won.

Things that desperately needed attention for children safety werent even glanced at.

Federal - local - its all the same to me.