+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

You have the choice to vote...

I am happy with our current system, compared to other countries where your life could be at risk for showing up to vote, I think we have it pretty freaking cruisey!

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

anonyme  (10-04-2013),beebs  (09-09-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

Yes I think it should be compulsory

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbygirl View Post
    Havent read all the pp but my thoughts are this.

Once Upon a time certain people werent allowed to vote due to the law.

Now everyone is forced to vote due to the law.

We havent moved backwards but we havent moved foward either.

Instead of forcing people not to vote or forcing them to vote, people should be fighting for the right to choose wether you vote or not.
    You do have the choice. If you do not want a say, vote informally, ie- hand in a blank ballot.
    Or don't enroll.

To say we haven't moved forward isn't right. There was a time in the not to distant past in this country where women and aboriginals were *not allowed* to vote. To say we haven't come forward is doing a pretty big injustice to all those who fought to change that.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-09-2012),Guest654  (09-09-2012),SassyMummy  (09-09-2012),wrena  (09-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Gurtling View Post
    Honestly, Australia is so corrupt I don't think voting does anything. Eitherway we are screwed.
    Have you seen how other countries are run? Have you seen soldiers at polling booths and people getting shot for their choice to vote? Believe me, I'm not saying our govt is perfect but "so corrupt" is hardly applicable here when you see the rest of the world!

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

anonyme  (10-04-2013),beebs  (09-09-2012),delirium  (09-09-2012),SassyMummy  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Thanks for hte correction PP (regarding donkey/informal. I knew there was a difference, but tend to label them all donkey... sorry! ).

As to researching, I'm sure I could have. I was unaware there was even a local election until a few days prior, however, and as bad as it sounds, I am way less concerned with council elections than I am state or federal... so I guess I just don't ever put nearly as much thought into it.

As for Australia being corrupt... as dodgy as many politicians are, and as bad as some policies are, we are allowed to vote. We have Medicare. We have Centrelink. We have free education for children of BOTH sexes (and yes I am aware it's not entirely free, but fees can be wavered for people in extreme financial hardship, and even free school shoes can be provided in these instances - I discovered this from a neighbour going through a rough time financially).

TBH, I think we are a lot luckier than we could be if we lived elsewhere under the rule of much more corrupt governments. Governments who kill those who protest against them, kill the opposition, kill anyone they feel like really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, I do! I think it's crazy that people don't put thought into it, they obviously don't know how some people live that DON'T have a say.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    You do have the choice. If you do not want a say, vote informally, ie- hand in a blank ballot.
    Or don't enroll.

To say we haven't moved forward isn't right. There was a time in the not to distant past in this country where women and aboriginals were *not allowed* to vote. To say we haven't come forward is doing a pretty big injustice to all those who fought to change that.
    Yes but your still being forced to go wether you do a donkey - informal - real vote.

Second well i think honestly we havent moved foward in the sense that women were forced not to vote then and women are forced to vote now.

Where excatly is the change or moving foward?? They controlled us then and they control us now.

They just try to cover it up by saying oh but women can have a say now.

But where excatly is our choice in having a say......

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

I was glad to finally have an excuse not to vote yesterday I honestly can't be bothered reading everything sent out .ro me as I Di n't always get how it will effect me.

I normally only notice a local when my street files with cars on a Saturday (live near polling place) I found out Friday when friends put up on Facebook they were early voting. Being out if state I simply advised AEC. so and got our of it. I totally believe compulsory voting needs more education.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Bubbygirl, serious questions now, why wouldn't you want to vote anyway? We have it a million times better now - even if we have to vote. Than a few decades ago when we weren't allowed to vote. That is what I feel. Is it because you don't particularly like any of the parties? Or is it just something you don't want to do even if there were parties that you liked?

Thanks
    Reviews

Won't be too long before we're voting with the facebook app