+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Are you allowed to come in to vote and scribble over the form in protest that you can't vote for any based on principles?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I did my first donkey vote recently, in a council election, because not one of them had bothered to put a little advert in my mail box so I didn't have a clue who any of them were. That's fine - in those instances I know what parties generally follow my beliefs better than the others - but the ballot didn't include any indication of party and the only people outside campaigning were Family Firsters, so that was the only name I could put to a party... and no way in hell were they getting me vote for that.

Rather than risk voting for someone opposing my views, I just handed in an empty ballot.
    Just to clarify, a donkey vote is when you just number the ballot in the order it is presented, so if it was
    Choice 1- Labor
    Choice 2- Liberal
    Choice 3- Greens
    Choice 4- Fred the Independent
    A donkey vote would mean you voted 1 Labor, 2 Liberal, 3 Greens, 4 Fred.

What you did is called an informal vote and counts toward no one. The only effect it had would be to save you getting fined.
    I hope it doesn't bother you for me to say as it's JMO, but I strongly disagree with this. I hate getting heaps of pamphlets etc as I think it's a waste of paper. I did a postal vote (with me EDD being today I hoped I'd be in hospy!) Anyway, it took me about 30 minutes to look up the candidates I wasn't familiar with and decide who got my vote.
    I think we have some responsibility above just showing up on the day to vote. JMO.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-09-2012),NancyBlackett  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Are you allowed to come in to vote and scribble over the form in protest that you can't vote for any based on principles?
    Yes, but it has the same effect as a blank ballot- your vote is put aside and counts towards nothing. Surely there would be at least one candidate who, if nothing else, would be the lesser of all evils?

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Anyway, it took me about 30 minutes to look up the candidates I wasn't familiar with and decide who got my vote.
    I think we have some responsibility above just showing up on the day to vote. JMO.
    Another election nerd like myself.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-09-2012),beebs  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't understand wasted votes. To me it seems churlish. A bit like "I resent coming in to do this, and I don't care anyway, and I can't be bothered to find out any info, so THERE!"

I have a bit more sympathy with going in and suddenly realising you don't know the local candidates.

But generally I just don't understand why people don't want to spend the time finding out a bit about the parties they'll be asked to nominate. Whichever party gets in will affect your life. As Atropos said, surely one is less worse than the others (if you believe they're all bad)?

And when someone says they're all terrible, then I tend to think that a bit more research is needed.

I'm sorry - it isn't my intention to offend. To me it's very important, and I don't understand why someone wouldn't want to know about stuff that's going to affect them and their family.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-09-2012),beebs  (09-09-2012),Luna Lovegood  (09-09-2012),NancyBlackett  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Another election nerd like myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I'm sorry - it isn't my intention to offend. To me it's very important, and I don't understand why someone wouldn't want to know about stuff that's going to affect them and their family.
    Same here, that's what I was trying to say

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

Havent read all the pp but my thoughts are this.

Once Upon a time certain people werent allowed to vote due to the law.

Now everyone is forced to vote due to the law.

We havent moved backwards but we havent moved foward either.

Instead of forcing people not to vote or forcing them to vote, people should be fighting for the right to choose wether you vote or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, Australia is so corrupt I don't think voting does anything. Eitherway we are screwed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanzanite For This Useful Post:

sweetseven  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

I think voting should b a choice