+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    There aren't only two choices. The only reason they are so powerful is because every thinks that they are the only two valid choices. If you really want it to change, then you need to do it with your ballot!
    I've always voted independant for that exact reason, but when a few more independants and minor candidates got in in the recent election, the chatter about how that was such a terrible thing really disenchanted me.

People keep saying, "If you don't vote then don't complain about what the winner does once they get in". However, what if you do vote and the one you voted for gets in, are you entitled to complain about what they do once there or not?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    When I was in New Zealand (25 years ago) voting was compulsory if you were on the electoral roll. Maori (indigenous New Zealanders) had the choice the join the electoral roll or not, but if they chose to enrol then they were on it for the rest of their life. And non-indigenous New Zealanders didn't have a choice, they were required to enroll.

Have the rules changed in the last 25 years?
    I was born 25 years ago. But it's always been optional in my living memory.

You must be enrolled, but you don't have to vote.
    Last edited by BlissedOut; 09-09-2012 at 15:18. Reason: addition

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (09-09-2012),sweetseven  (09-09-2012)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

The easy some people vote ****s me to tears, and part of me would love to remove them from the electoral role, but alas it goes against my grain to do so so believe very strongly in voting not only being a right but a responsibility. I just wish that others would take it seriously and make considered choices at the polls (so I never have to hear someone make a comment like 'i don't like his comb-over' ever again).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

I definitely believe it should be compulsory, it is a democratic right, those countries who do not make it compulsory always have a bad turn out and it becomes only a certain type/status of ppl who vote, making it compulsory eliminates these attitudes making us all equal.

That is the whole point to compulsory voting keeping us all equal. It really bugs me when ppl do not appreciate and take for granted the rights we do have ppl in other parts of the world do not have these privileges.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes of course you are, because you voted. We aren't always going to get exactly who we want in all the time, but if you voted, of course you can moan about the government - even more so because you didn't vote for them.

I've always voted independant for that exact reason, but when a few more independants and minor candidates got in in the recent election, the chatter about how that was such a terrible thing really disenchanted me.

People keep saying, "If you don't vote then don't complain about what the winner does once they get in". However, what if you do vote and the one you voted for gets in, are you entitled to complain about what they do once there or not?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Yes of course you are, because you voted. We aren't always going to get exactly who we want in all the time, but if you voted, of course you can moan about the government - even more so because you didn't vote for them.
    I said what if the one you voted for does win?

How can you compaign when you were part of the reason they got in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I said what if the one you voted for does win?

How can you compaign when you were part of the reason they got in?
    You can complain heaps if they don't fulfil their campaign promises. They represent you via your vote.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well, just to be pedantic, voting is not compulsory. Attendance is. So if you are apathetic you can write whatever you want on your voting slip. Make it a donkey vote so it isn't counted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    You can complain heaps if they don't fulfil their campaign promises. They represent you via your vote.
    This. If you vote for them it will be based on what they say they will do, no? So if they get in and don't do what they said then you have more right than most to complain!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-09-2012),Guest654  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I did my first donkey vote recently, in a council election, because not one of them had bothered to put a little advert in my mail box so I didn't have a clue who any of them were. That's fine - in those instances I know what parties generally follow my beliefs better than the others - but the ballot didn't include any indication of party and the only people outside campaigning were Family Firsters, so that was the only name I could put to a party... and no way in hell were they getting me vote for that.

Rather than risk voting for someone opposing my views, I just handed in an empty ballot.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Wastingtime  (09-09-2012)