+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well, coming from the UK where voting is NOT compulsory, and there are huge problems with lack of voter turnout/ voter apathy, I like that it is compulsory here.

Sure, some people will throw their votes, but I bet a lot of people won't. And it beats having such a small proportion of the demographic represented at the polling booths.

I can't believe how many people don't care about how their country is run.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-09-2012),minxyq  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    And, don't whinge - I agree with PPs - if you don't vote, then don't whinge about the government - you have no right to do that.

People always think that their one vote doesn't make a difference, but the G.W Bush win of 500 votes proves that isn't correct.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-09-2012),Guest654  (09-09-2012),Luna Lovegood  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I find it fascinating that people don't want to vote. I will never understand apathetic people.
    I am of the opinion that there is no point voting because both parties are as bad as eachother.

If your son hated chicken and your daughter hated fish, and you were offered the choice of Fish'n'Chips or KFC for a kindy event, would you vote or abstain? Or would you handwrite "pizza" on the bottom of the voting form and do a donkey vote?

And just in case someone hasn't read the whole thread. Personally I feel there is no point to voting and wouldn't bother if it wasn't compulsory, but socially I agree that compulsory voting is in societies best interest.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 09-09-2012 at 14:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

Ideally everyone who votes should know who they're voting for and have valid reasons for it.

While I dislike the stupid reasons for voting for someone, I think it is somewhat better than only people with a really passionate political viewpoint voting, which could easily happen.

People who have heard policies prefer them to others may not vote just because they'd rather not go and line up... But I think their vote is still important.

So yes, I believe in compulsory voting because I believe it's better than the alternative.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

There is more than simply 2 parties too. Yes, either LNP or Labor are prob going to be "the winners," but independents or members of smaller parties who are elected can hold a fair bit of power at times, meaning they can negotiate with the major parties to try to see some of their voters catered to if they agree to side with one of those major parties.

I know some people hate this, but I think it's quite valuable tbh.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-09-2012),Guest654  (09-09-2012),Lillynix  (07-10-2012),Luna Lovegood  (09-09-2012),wrena  (09-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    To add to my earlier post I always vote and I think everyone should vote.

We are lucky to have THE RIGHT to vote. However it ceases to be a right when it is compulsory - it becomes a requirement.
    This, the freedom isn't a freedom while it's compulsory.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    There is more than simply 2 parties too. Yes, either LNP or Labor are prob going to be "the winners," but independents or members of smaller parties who are elected can hold a fair bit of power at times, meaning they can negotiate with the major parties to try to see some of their voters catered to if they agree to side with one of those major parties.

It is important, it means most governments are forced to compromise rather than run a dictatorship. I've only ever voted for a minor party with my party vote.

In NZ just over 3/4s of those eligible to vote, vote in the national elections. Which is a good turnout I think. Every one of those people cared enough to go down and have their say... of their own free will.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    In NZ just over 3/4s of those eligible to vote, vote in the national elections. Which is a good turnout I think. Every one of those people cared enough to go down and have their say... of their own free will.
    That is a good turnout. A lot higher than in the UK or USA.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There aren't only two choices. The only reason they are so powerful is because every thinks that they are the only two valid choices. If you really want it to change, then you need to do it with your ballot!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    I am of the opinion that there is no point voting because both parties are as bad as eachother.

If your son hated chicken and your daughter hated fish, and you were offered the choice of Fish'n'Chips or KFC for a kindy event, would you vote or abstain? Or would you handwrite "pizza" on the bottom of the voting form and do a donkey vote?

And just in case someone hasn't read the whole thread. Personally I feel there is no point to voting and wouldn't bother if it wasn't compulsory, but socially I agree that compulsory voting is in societies best interest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post

Very valuable, if someone has free reign then they can basically do whatever they please, like Campbell Newman!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    This, the freedom isn't a freedom while it's compulsory.

It is important, it means most governments are forced to compromise rather than run a dictatorship. I've only ever voted for a minor party with my party vote.

When I was in New Zealand (25 years ago) voting was compulsory if you were on the electoral roll. Maori (indigenous New Zealanders) had the choice the join the electoral roll or not, but if they chose to enrol then they were on it for the rest of their life. And non-indigenous New Zealanders didn't have a choice, they were required to enroll.

Have the rules changed in the last 25 years?