+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I don't think it's ever been compulsory, but enrolment is (I don't think it's enforced).

Maori have equal voting rights, but have the option of being on a different electoral roll if they want, the different electoral roll covers the Maori electorates. NZ is divided up into General Electorates, then 7 (?) Maori Electorates to ensure Maori representation, which is funny, as there are way more Maori in parliament than there is per head of population.

I'm not a huge fan of that system, but I understand why it's there. I'd prefer to have a Maori senate, hah, but that'll never happen.
    The map I looked at on Wikipedia last night didn't have NZ listed as compulsory.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't buy this whole 'I can find out any info about our govt/politicians.' If I can find out what's happening in my country/state from across the world then you can find out what's happening in your own country. If you don't personally have the resources the library is free and has free Internet and newspapers! In this day and age, not knowing what is going on is a choice, it's simply not your priority.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    I don't buy this whole 'I can find out any info about our govt/politicians.' If I can find out what's happening in my country/state from across the world then you can find out what's happening in your own country. If you don't personally have the resources the library is free and has free Internet and newspapers! In this day and age, not knowing what is going on is a choice, it's simply not your priority.
    For me it's not that I can't (as I am) but more are you said hasn't been my priority. And being honest again if I didn't have kids I still wouldn't be overly interested. Anyways I popped my enrolment form in the mail today so there done and dusted no excuses now.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonsterMoosMum For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (10-04-2013),Kirst33  (10-04-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Don't you find it scary/sad that your politicians don't seem to be listening though? From what I can tell, it seems a majority of Australians support marriage equality but yet the politicians seem to not be listening.

I should explain that the policies I vote for individually are state policies, not federal. But with something like gay marriage, it's been left up to the states to decide, but the marriages aren't recognized federally (ie through your federal taxes). BUT as more and more states make it legal, the federal govt sees this is an issue people care about and are now making moves to overturn DOMA (the defense of marriage act which states marriage is between a man and woman). I'm fairly confident this will be overturned before Obama leaves office in Jan. 2017. Alternatively we have policies that are federal but states can tweak them based on their voters. An example is abortion which is legal nationwide but states (based on their voters) have decided how much they regulate it (ie how many weeks you can be, etc). Alternatively again, something on the state level can be taken to the Supreme Court and decided by the federal govt. if its unconstitutional (this is happening with California's stance on gay marriage and happens when some abortion bills are too extreme). I know Australia is slightly similar (ie something like abortion varies state by state). But I just feel like a lot of politicians here don't seem to listen to their constituents (the gay marriage example). It'd be great if your govt would leave a lot up to the states and you vote individually in policies. But maybe since Australia's population is quite small you could get away with voting nationally. I think the states is too big for that (300 million people and ideals and values vary vastly depending on where you live).
    The issue is that we don't know whether it is the majority of Australians or not as we haven't had a nationwide referendum. It could just be a vocal minority. We don't know how many people went to their local politician and said they don't agree. I'm not saying this is the case, just that peoples votes are private, as are their conversations with the local member (unless they choose to make them public)

The only way to know is a nationwide referendum. Otherwise we can but hope that we are being represented as a community.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Got this in my letterbox today. Just have to say I'm a little mortified and really getting nervous every time I think of the election.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1365580205.804663.jpg

Sorry it is sideways.

Point 1 - stop pressure on interest rates? They're pretty good last time I checked. And stop Australia from another financial crisis? Didn't realise we had a crisis! Fear mongering.

Point 2 - carbon tax. Reduce cost of living prices. Great! But how? Electricity and gas have both gone up immensely, even before carbon tax.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1365580401.869874.jpg

Point 6 - Deliver better health and education at front line services. In other words, remove themselves from all accountability when school and hospital performances are down because they don't have the money to perform. Washing their hands of all responsibility. Watch the cuts come rolling in come September. Disgusting.

Point 7 - stop the boats Say no more!
    Last edited by BigRedV; 10-04-2013 at 19:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts