+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Well I teach primary school. Pretty sure it was quite thorough. Not on voting or parties but how the three levels of government work.
    It's not something you will really remember if you're taught in primary school though. I think it should definitely be taught in high school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    It's not something you will really remember if you're taught in primary school though. I think it should definitely be taught in high school.
    We had American govt classes in highscholl, but again, not sure what Australia does!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Because then it is only those that are passionate about the election or have plenty of time on their hands that will vote.

Several people wont vote because:
    * they are confident that the person they would vote for will win easily, so they needn't bother, or
    * they think the person they would vote for doesn't have a chance, so why bother, or
    * they are two busy with other concerns that the election doesn't seem a high priority, or
    * their situation (job, transport, health, family commitments, etc) makes travelling to a polling booth a huge inconvenience and not worth the trouble.

The election will be at great risk of being skewed by someone campaigning hard and drumming up a small group of supporters to go to the polls when the majority just dont bother - and then are surprised that the upstart got in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    Because then it is only those that are passionate about the election or have plenty of time on their hands that will vote.

* they are confident that the person they would vote for will win easily, so they needn't bother, or
    * they think the person they would vote for doesn't have a chance, so why bother, or
    * they are two busy with other concerns that the election doesn't seem a high priority, or
    * their situation (job, transport, health, family commitments, etc) makes travelling to a polling booth a huge inconvenience and not worth the trouble.

The election will be at great risk of being skewed by someone campaigning hard and drumming up a small group of supporters to go to the polls when the majority just dont bother - and then are surprised that the upstart got in.
    I understand what you're saying but I don't agree at all, if we're talking the states, the election is always the first Tuesday of November and its illegal for your job not to give you time to go vote. You can also register as an absentee so that your ballot is mailed to you if you know you wouldn't be able vote on that day. If you truly want to vote you will. If somebody decides they can't be bothered or their candidate will definitely win or not win, etc. that's their personal choice to take that stand. But if you genuinely care, then you'll vote. We know people in Australia that just vote because they have to and are not informed about who they are voting for at all. I would much rather the vote be swayed by people who have chosen to care and pay attention to the issues (whether i agree with their stance or not) than people who have been made to and are just ticking boxes for the heck of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post

But if they really care and want a say, they will - I honestly believe that.

They already campaign hard! A lot of it is aimed at getting the popular vote. Perhaps if voting is voluntary they would campaign smarter, as opposed to harder...

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    We covered it in year 9 or 10 SOS (Study of Society).AZDDF (dd typed that last bit...it didn't seem right not to give her a say )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    We covered it in year 9 or 10 SOS (Study of Society).AZDDF (dd typed that last bit...it didn't seem right not to give her a say )
    We didn't and I finished school in '07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I finished in 99, and no one taught me about how to vote while I was in school.

I think there should definitely be more education on voting, and information on candidates and policy should be readily accessible. Kirst33 mentioned a booklet sent out prior in the states? I'd love to see that here.

And dammit, those that don't care, you should! You really, really should! The next election is sooo important. If the liberals get in, we stand to lose so much and it WILL affect us all! /ranty tanty over

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-04-2013),SpecialPatrolGroup  (09-04-2013),Tildy  (09-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Some people might've missed this, so good! From logies the other day

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=a6OBxph4iak

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I finished in 99, and no one taught me about how to vote while I was in school.

I think there should definitely be more education on voting, and information on candidates and policy should be readily accessible. Kirst33 mentioned a booklet sent out prior in the states? I'd love to see that here.

And dammit, those that don't care, you should! You really, really should! The next election is sooo important. If the liberals get in, we stand to lose so much and it WILL affect us all! /ranty tanty over
    Yes the booklet is great, but I've usually heard about most issues and read up on them myself before I receive it (but that's me!). My biggest thing that I think the states has spot on is the voting for everything individually. I am generally fairly far left but I think it's great that my vote does not just end with who I vote into office. A great example would be gay marriage, there would be many Americans that may vote for a republican (that in general are anti-marriage equality, although they're coming around!) but then could vote yes for marriage equality when it comes forward on their ballot. So your vote isn't pigeonholed just into whatever a specific politician decides.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-04-2013)