+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    This kind of apathy makes me sad tbh. I hope you change your mind one day. People died in the struggle to get the vote for everyone, regardless of colour, creed or gender.
    Can you crusade to get me the right to vote?

Seriously, as someone who no longer has voting rights, I find peoples attitude towards their diplomatic say incredibly frustrating. People definitely take their 'voice' for granted, mostly I assume because they have never experienced not having a voice, or haven't read about the struggles and frustrations of those who didn't.

I was watching a show that featured John Lewis the other day and he spoke so passionately about voting rights, it moved me to see what it meant to him (and many African-Americans).

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-04-2013),beebs  (09-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be more than happy to vote and take a better interest into it if they upgraded the ways we could submit our vote..

Online would be perfect!!!

Medicare online would also be appreciated, whilst their at it dealing with the ATO and centrelink online would be a bloody win in my book!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly8329 View Post
    I do doubt it, I'm happy with my country and the way it's run. I trust those who are interested in politics to make the right choices for those of us who have no interest in the nitty grittys of it all.
    I think you're not the only one Kelly and I think voting should be voluntary - I think it's totally unrealistic to expect everyone to care. The fact that its compulsory means many, many people go into those booths ticking random boxes, so what is the point when you will never get an informed outcome iykwim?

People who care should vote - I would think if you care enough then you probably have some idea of party policies...?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (09-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessPud View Post
    I haven't read all replies so not sure if anyone else has replied with something similar to my thoughts...

In the digital era I personally believe the whole way we vote should be updated to include online, iPhone/smart phone app, in person and postal etc.

This being said I also think that it is wrong to vote for a person or party and the country should vote for and against on different issues.

I don't know exactly how it could work but I would rather have my say on an issue (carbon tax for example) than to have to choose between people and parties that sprout promises and fail to keep them!

Just my thoughts
    This is how our voting works in the states, not only do we vote for all the individuals but we vote separately for policies as well. My DH gets amazed by the ballot I receive from my state and the book/catalog a few months beforehand to 'study' about all the individuals and policies. Some states allow online voting for absentees but Cali isn't one of them yet, but I'm happy with the mailed ballot.
    Last edited by Kirst33; 09-04-2013 at 16:55.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

MonsterMoosMum  (09-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think the more likely outcome would be that those confident that they will see the outcome they want will vote, and those who are downtrodden by society won't. I believe it would be a bad thing. I think compulsory voting forces many to look deeper into it when they may not if it weren't.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-04-2013),beebs  (09-04-2013),Eko  (11-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    I think you're not the only one Kelly and I think voting should be voluntary - I think it's totally unrealistic to expect everyone to care. The fact that its compulsory means many, many people go into those booths ticking random boxes, so what is the point when you will never get an informed outcome iykwim?

People who care should vote - I would think if you care enough then you probably have some idea of party policies...?
    Exactly! Voting is an amazing freedom, but it should also be a choice. If somebody is choosing not to vote because they don't care enough, that's fine, I'd rather that then them just ticking boxes for the he** of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessPud View Post
    In the digital era I personally believe the whole way we vote should be updated to include online, iPhone/smart phone app, in person and postal etc.
    Noooo! Don't allow people to be more lazy than they have to be! Besides, I love the opportunity to check out my old primary school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I think the more likely outcome would be that those confident that they will see the outcome they want will vote, and those who are downtrodden by society won't. I believe it would be a bad thing. I think compulsory voting forces many to look deeper into it when they may not if it weren't.
    I do agree with the last statement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sisters and BIL's vote . They vote because they were told to enroll at 18, they did and every ballot they have voted at has been a dodgy vote, not even looked at just a x here and there and off they go!
    That's not looking very deep !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I donno - I've known people who are downtrodden yet have a real interest in our political landscape and would definitely vote, and others who know zilch, literally don't know the difference between labour and liberal who (IMO) shouldn't be voting!