+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

I think it should be compulsory. We are so lucky to live in a country that not only allows the people to vote but actually acts on the outcome. I never appriciated that right until I lived in countries where not voting for the current government could cost you your freedom, even your life.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (09-09-2012),minxyq  (10-09-2012),second baby not so easy  (09-04-2013),twotrunks  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummabec View Post
    But making it voluntary scares me that only extreme opinions will be heard, and imagine hearing people whinge about the gov't knowing that they didn't vote! That would annoy me so much!!
    This!

Everybodies voice should be heard to direct the country. I think not voting/donkey voting is really anti-social behaviour.

I think voting should be compulsory (although, I think it's about time there is an option to vote online/via phone).

I would also like to see pamphlets banned at polling areas (maybe posters around as visuals aids).

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    It shouldn't be compulsory. If you have no interest in the outcome you shouldn't be forced to waste a huge chunk of your day lining up, picking a particular name you don't even recognise on a piece of paper and putting it in a box.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    This. It's hard to get to where ever voting is with 2 toddlers and then line up for hours just to vote for people I know nothing about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I think it should still be compulsory, if u don't want to line up do a postal vote! There are ways around it. We have a chance to have a say and try to make a change. I'm sure that the ones that didn't/don't vote would be the first ones to complain when something is done by the pollies they didn't like. You can't have it both ways!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fingerscrossd11 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-09-2012),LoveLivesHere  (09-09-2012),minxyq  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't think it should be compulsory! I know so many people that don't like/agree with any party policies and therefore just randomly pick one. Actually come to think of it, I'd say over 50% of my friends pick at random for this reason or because they have no interest in it all.

For this reason I don't think it should be compulsory. Although I take voting seriously, I'd hate to think that any government is in power because voters just chose at random.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkers View Post
    This. It's hard to get to where ever voting is with 2 toddlers and then line up for hours just to vote for people I know nothing about.
    It's up to you to find out about them though, and you can always postal vote etc

Thanks
    Reviews

I only vote because i don't want to pay a $55 fine if i don't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I find it fascinating that people don't want to vote. I will never understand apathetic people.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (09-09-2012),Luna Lovegood  (09-09-2012),wrena  (09-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

To add to my earlier post I always vote and I think everyone should vote.

We are lucky to have THE RIGHT to vote. However it ceases to be a right when it is compulsory - it becomes a requirement.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Luna Lovegood  (09-09-2012),Stiflers Mom  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I love voting, casting my vote, I get all excited about it. I don't feel pressured or forced, even though I suppose technically it is.

Every time I think about non compulsory voting - I look at America and think and it makes me realise we are on the right track.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (09-09-2012)