+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    But we're learning its compulsory to enroll at 18. So if you enroll late (like monster above) do you get fined for the previous years? And if you just don't enroll do they eventually find out and you get fined for missed years?
    No they longer fine for previously not being enrolled they used to though. Eventually they could catch up to unenrolled people as they cross reference with other government agencies such as centre link and the ATO

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So it's not really coming off as compulsory... Weird that if you enroll and don't vote you get fined but if you just don't enroll you seem fine? A family I work for that just became citizens (from UK) recently got fined for forgetting to vote in a local election (they thought only federal was compulsory) and a close friend did as well. So fining is definitely still happening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    So it's not really coming off as compulsory... Weird that if you enroll and don't vote you get fined but if you just don't enroll you seem fine? A family I work for that just became citizens (from UK) recently got fined for forgetting to vote in a local election (they thought only federal was compulsory) and a close friend did as well. So fining is definitely still happening.
    Your fine till they catch you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish it wasn't compulsory, quite often it's hard to even get to the voting booth. Hubby and I both work 12hr shifts and only get the roster a week before so not in time for postal vote etc. We are also not in a job to go out at lunch etc to complete the vote.

Last year we got married on the qld election day!! That was interesting lol

I go in, get my name ticked off, take my forms to the booth... Don't make a mark on the form... Then hand it in. Complete waste of my time. If we had some decent people to vote for that kept their promises and had decent ideas on running our country instead of personal gain.... I'd vote properly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm actually studying a constitutional law unit at the moment as part of my law degree and find this quite a fascinating topic!

It's one of the fundamental rights of our constitution that members of the Senate and the House of Representatives should be 'chosen by the people' and that is all the people without disenfranchisement unless it is for a very good reason (i.e. some prisoners are disqualified).

Whilst it might not suit everyone to have to vote for something they don't take much interest in, if you were not allowed to vote then I imagine a lot of people would be very much up in arms about it, fighting for their right to do so.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-04-2013),Eko  (11-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    I'm actually studying a constitutional law unit at the moment as part of my law degree and find this quite a fascinating topic!

It's one of the fundamental rights of our constitution that members of the Senate and the House of Representatives should be 'chosen by the people' and that is all the people without disenfranchisement unless it is for a very good reason (i.e. some prisoners are disqualified).

Whilst it might not suit everyone to have to vote for something they don't take much interest in, if you were not allowed to vote then I imagine a lot of people would be very much up in arms about it, fighting for their right to do so.
    Which is why it should be left to the individual to decide weather they want to give a sh&t or not.
    We have the rights to vote, that's great , I don't want to.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I have a major in Politics from uni but I can absolutely understand why many people (myself included if I'm honest) tune out to political discussions on the media. Whilst I find general politics fascinating, I find government politics - well it give me the urge to smash my head against a wall. I think a large part of the reason for this is the terrible terrible approach to reporting on the topic.

I tend to vote still based on ideology. I'm a bleedin' heart leftie so chances are I would never vote for a conservative party. Both parties have shifted so far to the middle to ensure maximum appeal that for the most part they have lost their ideology. I still vote based on the fundamental principles of the party though. I guess my point is that you don't have to listen to the news to vote to your beliefs. You can watch/read all the news you want but I don't think that would necessarily make you an 'informed' voter. Personally I would like to see a sh1t load more transparency in governments on what they spend money on, what they don't spend money on and some high level trends. How are we expected to make a choice when we don't get objective information?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-04-2013),beebs  (09-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly8329 View Post
    Which is why it should be left to the individual to decide weather they want to give a sh&t or not.
    We have the rights to vote, that's great , I don't want to.
    This kind of apathy makes me sad tbh. I hope you change your mind one day. People died in the struggle to get the vote for everyone, regardless of colour, creed or gender.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-04-2013),Busy-Bee  (09-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all replies so not sure if anyone else has replied with something similar to my thoughts...

In the digital era I personally believe the whole way we vote should be updated to include online, iPhone/smart phone app, in person and postal etc.

This being said I also think that it is wrong to vote for a person or party and the country should vote for and against on different issues.

I don't know exactly how it could work but I would rather have my say on an issue (carbon tax for example) than to have to choose between people and parties that sprout promises and fail to keep them!

Just my thoughts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    This kind of apathy makes me sad tbh. I hope you change your mind one day. People died in the struggle to get the vote for everyone, regardless of colour, creed or gender.
    I do doubt it, I'm happy with my country and the way it's run. I trust those who are interested in politics to make the right choices for those of us who have no interest in the nitty grittys of it all.