+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Though DH is on my case about enrolling and we have the forms filled out I just haven't sent them off yet.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Enrolling to vote is compulsory if you are an Aust. citizen
    As far as I am aware the quoted is correct. Enrolling is compulsory but enrolling late won't incur a fine anymore.

I found this info.

http://www.aec.gov.au/About_AEC/publ.../centenary.htm

Sent from my Unicorn.
    Last edited by LifeInShadesOfGrey; 09-04-2013 at 14:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Enrolling to vote is compulsory if you are an Aust. citizen
    So it's compulsory to enroll and compulsory to show up (I understand you don't have to actually vote). So does that mean we have some ladies breaking the law here?

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think voting should absolutely be compulsory. I also think it should be much easier to do the research on those parties for people who don't know where to look. I mean I know how to dig that info up online but what about the people who aren't au fait with the net etc.

I think "I don't like Julia Gillard because she doesn't have a chin, and I don't like Tony Abbot because my mum said he's stuck in the 50's" is a p!ss poor excuse. I don't like either of those particular people but I make it my BUSINESS to pay attention to all of the parties and find out what their policies are rather than just basing it on something as stupid as a misinformed perception.

I remember last time my FB feed was flooded with barely legal teens (family and friends of family) saying that they were going to vote for the Australian S.ex Party because they had "S.ex" in their name.
    Do you know what their policies are? Do you know what they stand for? Do they have any policies AT ALL that will have an impact on your life? If not, why the heck would you waste your vote like that?

Fine, if you want to vote for that party then vote for them. But vote for them because you want to see a party that has the desire to improve the basic needs of a s.ex worker at their core rather than just because they used a name that made you giggle!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    I think voting should absolutely be compulsory. I also think it should be much easier to do the research on those parties for people who don't know where to look. I mean I know how to dig that info up online but what about the people who aren't au fait with the net etc.

I think "I don't like Julia Gillard because she doesn't have a chin, and I don't like Tony Abbot because my mum said he's stuck in the 50's" is a p!ss poor excuse. I don't like either of those particular people but I make it my BUSINESS to pay attention to all of the parties and find out what their policies are rather than just basing it on something as stupid as a misinformed perception.

I remember last time my FB feed was flooded with barely legal teens (family and friends of family) saying that they were going to vote for the Australian S.ex Party because they had "S.ex" in their name.
    Do you know what their policies are? Do you know what they stand for? Do they have any policies AT ALL that will have an impact on your life? If not, why the heck would you waste your vote like that?

Fine, if you want to vote for that party then vote for them. But vote for them because you want to see a party that has the desire to improve the basic needs of a s.ex worker at their core rather than just because they used a name that made you giggle!
    But didn't you just explain why it shouldn't be compulsory? Because many people don't pay attention and vote for stupid reasons (I'm not claiming no Americans vote for lame reasons, I know there's some doosies!!), but why would you MAKE people vote that could care less and are just ticking a box? Wouldn't you it rather be a choice so you knew more people going to the ballots actually cared?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    So it's compulsory to enroll and compulsory to show up (I understand you don't have to actually vote). So does that mean we have some ladies breaking the law here?
    Haha meeee lol I'm getting there just at snail speed. Like I said before I would like to be more educated before having to have a say in things ( which I have been doing lately) when I do enrol and take the responsibilty of voting on I want to make an informed well thought out vote not waste a vote. In my mind making a proper informed vote is better then wasting a vote or not voting at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So do you only get fined if you register?
    Yep I never registered at 18 and have never received one fine .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly8329 View Post
    Yep I never registered at 18 and have never received one fine .
    But we're learning its compulsory to enroll at 18. So if you enroll late (like monster above) do you get fined for the previous years? And if you just don't enroll do they eventually find out and you get fined for missed years?

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    But we're learning its compulsory to enroll at 18. So if you enroll late (like monster above) do you get fined for the previous years? And if you just don't enroll do they eventually find out and you get fined for missed years?
    The link I posted said you used to get fined, however they are now trying to encourage people to enrol so won't fine you. You can even enrol on that link.

Just to add, it's a link from last year but I'd say that's what still happens now.

Sent from my Unicorn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't know Kirst. All I know is I'm 30 hubby is 30 and we have both never registered, both never received a letter to tell us to register since turning 18 and we have both never voted nor received any fine.
    If I was made to vote I would show up tick a box , probably greens just for heck of it and leave.
    Politics comes on tv and I tune out