+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It should definitely be compulsory. We are lucky enough to live in a country where we have the right to vote for whomever we choose, and not exercising that democratic right is such a shame. I'm pretty sure something like just over 50% of Americans partake in voting... Which means half of America hasn't had a say in who they want to lead their country. Politics is something that affects everyone, I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to be involved in such an important decision.

I do think there needs to be more education on how our government works, the different parties, etc so people are making more informed decisions when they vote.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to callmedragon22 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think there needs to be more education on voting. I have NO idea who to vote for and I regret my last vote.
    There are MANY ppl like me who either vote willy nilly or donkey vote and this is obviously wrong....it needs fixing
    Last edited by ozeymumof5; 09-04-2013 at 11:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildy View Post
    Ok, so for all those that say do your research. Umm, this may be a dumb question but how/where do you find all that info. I have a hard enough time applying for maternity leave much less finding out everyone who is running (including all the independents), what they stand for and where their party preferences go to. Its not exactly easy to find info and the only pamphlets I have ever gotten never have any info they just say Vote 1 ME! Lots of people dont have hours to spend online trying to find this info.

Maybe if voting wasnt compulsory and the candidates had to convince us to vote in the first place they might actually go out of thier way to provide decent information beyond just seeing thier party name on the ballot paper on voting day.
    First, think about your ideals and how this relates to running the country, and which party is closest to that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't believe it's democratic if only certain segments of society are voting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the problem with compulsory voting is when it comes to choosing the lesser of two evils. If I disagree with all the parties but HAVE to vote for one I then don't feel like I can b!tch about their policies etc if they get into power. I don't think there's ever going to be a black and white 'correct' way of doing it to be honest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no idea who I'm voting for, I try to pay attention but usually just vote for who my mother does cos I just don't know and can't get into it. G don't think I should have the right to vote and know there are others who vote so they don't get fined and have no idea who they are voting for either.

The argument I've heard when voicing this is that if it weren't forced then only a minority would decide who is in office but I don't see this as a bad thing. If they care enough to pay attention and vote they deserve to have the 'control' I'd rather informed people decide rather than people like me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by callmedragon22 View Post
    It should definitely be compulsory. We are lucky enough to live in a country where we have the right to vote for whomever we choose, and not exercising that democratic right is such a shame. I'm pretty sure something like just over 50% of Americans partake in voting... Which means half of America hasn't had a say in who they want to lead their country. Politics is something that affects everyone, I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to be involved in such an important decision.

I do think there needs to be more education on how our government works, the different parties, etc so people are making more informed decisions when they vote.
    I agree with the sentiment but can't you see the irony in forcing people to exercise their democratic right? And by forcing I mean forcing them to attend - I am aware you don't actually have to cast a vote.

It would be fantastic to find ways to increase voter turnout without using punitive measures. I don't think any western country has it right yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LaDiDah View Post
    I think the problem with compulsory voting is when it comes to choosing the lesser of two evils. If I disagree with all the parties but HAVE to vote for one I then don't feel like I can b!tch about their policies etc if they get into power. I don't think there's ever going to be a black and white 'correct' way of doing it to be honest.
    Well there's more than two parties.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-04-2013),Lillynix  (09-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I cannot, for the life of me imagine not caring about who is running the country. And not caring about just how lucky we are that we are allowed to vote. People around the world get killed for trying to a cast a vote. And here we are, wealthy beyond belief, with an apathy that is just completely depressing. Wow.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

callmedragon22  (09-04-2013),wrena  (09-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Compulsory voting is important for a democratic society. It has always been my understanding that compulsory voting was introduced as otherwise parties would choose election dates to ensure only those they wanted to vote were able to eg most blue collar workers had/have far less flexibility with working hours, so an election held on a weekday would mean only those in a higher socie-economic position were able to vote. As a result, the parties would only need to tailor their policies to please those from more priviledged backgrounds, which left the "working classes" unrepresented. If voting is compulsory, political parties need to ensure their policies are what is best for the country as a whole.

As for the argument that we have not moved forward since women weren't allowed to vote because now they make them vote...well if women want to drive now they also "force" them to get a licence...does this mean it's not a right? Rights always have a flipside called responsibilities.

Compulsory voting may be frustrating, may seem a waste of time, but it helps to stand against corruption and protects the rights of everyone to have a say. YOu may choose not to exercise that right by note casting a vote, but better to waste one or two mornings a year get your name ticked off the electoral role to ensure this right continues for future generations.

People complain about our parties and some have even said our country is corrupt - well this is one way that we exercise democracy, that we ensure a better country.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MordecaiAliVanAllenO'Shea For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-04-2013),callmedragon22  (09-04-2013)