+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Yes but I wonder what the percentage would be of people in Australia
    Voting that really had no idea who or why they were voting for or just left it blank ? I'd prefer 40% of the population voting because they wanted to than however many Australians vote without caring because they have to
    Yeah im actually wondering what percentage actually cast a real vote in australia.

And going by that would there actually be much difference if it werent compulsory. I think there would be a difference but would it be a huge one?

Yes i voted because she had a vajayjay. Amongst everything i was through i voted by what a family member told me as i had no clue an election was even coming.

Voting for the 1st female seemed like at good movement to support and a way to move the country foward.

I dont think a persons private part makes them more qualified than someone else but i think it was about time a women showed we are just as capable as a man running the country.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just want to vote guys.

For the PPs who don't care and tick whatever, can I have your vote next national election? and state for QLD?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (10-09-2012),SassyMummy  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh id also like to point out that as a silent voter my ballot goes with my name.

Had to fill out name and some details and witness details and out my filled out ballot form in that. So its not as secret after all if you do it that way.

At some point one or more people will know who you voted

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I just want to vote guys.

For the PPs who don't care and tick whatever, can I have your vote next national election? and state for QLD?
    Yep you can have mine. I'm enrolled to vote on QLD but don't even live there so it's all yours..lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbygirl View Post
    Oh id also like to point out that as a silent voter my ballot goes with my name.

Had to fill out name and some details and witness details and out my filled out ballot form in that. So its not as secret after all if you do it that way.

At some point one or more people will know who you voted
    From the AEC:

How is a declaration vote secret when my details are on the envelope?
    Your name and other details are required on the envelope so that your entitlement to vote can be confirmed and your name can be marked off the electoral roll as having voted. Strict procedures are used for the removal of ballot papers from declaration envelopes during vote counting to prevent any name being linked with any ballot paper and these procedures maybe witnessed by Scrutineers.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Yes but I wonder what the percentage would be of people in Australia
    Voting that really had no idea who or why they were voting for or just left it blank ? I'd prefer 40% of the population voting because they wanted to than however many Australians vote without caring because they have to
    In America, a PP pointed out that George Bush got in based on just a 500 vote margin. When voting isn't compulsory people get apathetic and bad things happen!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

George Bush cheated both times, that's why he got in.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (10-09-2012),beebs  (10-09-2012),Maybelline  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

When ever voting comes up & how bad the two main parties are, it always brings to mind this line from a movie "So don't vote to get the best party in - cause there's no such thing. Instead use your vote to keep the worst party out."

Hearing that certainly changed my opinion on voting forever. Instead of looking at what they stand for, I find out what they stand /against/ and base my vote on that.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChickyBee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (10-09-2012),SassyMummy  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know people who vote for the party they think is going to win... then are like 'yay, I picked the winner'...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I feel it shouldn't be compulsory .. Because if someone has no interest or knows nothing about the policies ... Votes on a whim because of something false or useless that the media have commented or reported on.. Thought should be involved in voting ..