+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbygirl View Post
    Ok il say itl again she does not believe in gay couples having the right to marry and stated that she will be voting againist it.

That disappointed me and lost my future vote
    Yes I think the point being that she has always been open about that and you say you voted for her without knowing that- that is your fault. It's up to you to look in to who you vote for. You can't claim disappointment when she didn't pretend to support it then backflip after the election IYKWIM?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Ok il say itl again she does not believe in gay couples having the right to marry and stated that she will be voting againist it.

That disappointed me and lost my future vote
    Yes, but you can't complain about that (IMO) when she already stated before the election that she was against gay marriage, that she would not change her mind etc. If it really meant a lot to you, you would find out those things and not just vote for someone because she was the first woman.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    As a single mother you should know that you are part of a demographic that is often most affected by the government, so your vote is an important one.

Yes, it's compulsory to vote and yet you can hand in a blank form- this is the bit where YOUR CHOICE comes in. If you do not wish to cast a vote, you do this, therefore exercising your choice not to vote. It's pretty simple. You are complaining that you don't have a choice, more than one person here has told you that you have the option of a blank ballot ("blah blah blah") but you say this is still not giving you the choice of whether or not to vote. But it IS! you don't want your voice heard, you don't want to have a say, you don't want to pick a candidate, then DON'T! Leave the form blank. Do it on a postal vote and you don't even have to line up.

You can't complain that you don't have a choice and then complain that you are allowed to hand in a blank form. You can't have it both ways. Handing in a blank form is actually not illegal according to the AEC and even so, it's a secret ballot so no one would ever know you did.

It might be just how you feel but I'm sorry, it doesn't make sense.
    I didnt complain that you can hand in a blank form, i said that to me is a contridiction - you have to go vote but you dont actually have to vote for some one .

To me that makes compulsory voting seem pointless.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yes, but you can't complain about that (IMO) when she already stated before the election that she was against gay marriage, that she would not change her mind etc. If it really meant a lot to you, you would find out those things and not just vote for someone because she was the first woman.
    Yes but when you dont have the time to research someone, like i did that year, you vote by what you do know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I didnt complain that you can hand in a blank form, i said that to me is a contridiction - you have to go vote but you dont actually have to vote for some one .

The definition of complaining is expressing discontent, that seemed like what you were doing.
    No, you don't have to vote for someone. But if you are against compulsory voting, isn't this a good thing?

It's not pointless. It means you have to make a conscious decision not to have a say as opposed to say, forgetting, getting distracted and not going, being apathetic and ignoring it etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find your post very rude.

Trying to portray me as some irresponsible adult who cant manage her time so shes having a whinge....

For one my job relies soley on me having excellent time management.
    I also have ocd organising skills.

I am a single mother of 2 with no family living near me so i manage all day to day responsiblities 100% on my own.

Iv actually been told to relax and that its ok for life to be a but messy.

So no your opinion is not relevant. My opinion is my thoughts on this matter.

After a horrid year i was placed on silent voting so it is all sent to my mail box now - and yet this is still my opinion.

They have taken a choice away from me. One that contradicts its self

Opinion not a whinge. YOUR opinion is not the only right opinion thankyou very much.
    So dont try to put someone down or act like my opinion is nothing but dog poo just because You disagree
    Apologies if it came across 'rude'...it may have been typed with a bit of assertive passion backing it up, but I did not mean to imply your opinon on the matter was 'dog poo'.

I personally consider our right to be afforded a vote very important!
    So you are either suggesting with all seriousness that Australia change the way it lets its people speak in relation to the politics that run the country OR you are complaining [having a bit of a a good ol' Aussie whinge] about how it puts you out for 15 minutes on a Saturday morning (if you missed getting the postal vote in on time)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

Quote Originally Posted by Gurtling View Post
    Honestly, Australia is so corrupt I don't think voting does anything. Eitherway we are screwed.
    Corrupt? I'd say Australia is the least corrupt. Corrupt is going to a rally to support the party who did get the most votes , which the current gov refused to accept, and then having that government order the army to open fire on the supporters , then throw the rest in jail indefinitely. In one of the Asian countries you need to register with the government who you support and then if that gov gets in you get special treatment, money, food. If the party u registered doesnt get in you get hassled by the gov, army, police. Most Aussies have no idea what corruption is.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

anonyme  (10-04-2013),Atropos  (09-09-2012),FearlessLeader  (09-09-2012),FiveInTheBed  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

The point isn't that everyone actually votes.
    [although that would be awesome]

It is that everyone is accounted for - that no dodgy dodgies are being pulled, that no one is buying votes, that no one is forcing another person to stay home against their will preventing them from voting so that someone else gets wins.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    The definition of complaining is expressing discontent, that seemed like what you were doing.
    No, you don't have to vote for someone. But if you are against compulsory voting, isn't this a good thing?

It's not pointless. It means you have to make a conscious decision not to have a say as opposed to say, forgetting, getting distracted and not going, being apathetic and ignoring it etc
    No its just makes no sense to me why make it compulsory but not enforce actually making a vote. I dont so much see it as a good thing (that you can get away by blank forms)

Im not against voting but im not about to go be active in informing australia about the importance to vote either.

To me my problem lies in the overall thing - it being compulsory. Its like..... Saying to my child you have to eat your veggies but when i turn to your sibling you may sneak them into the bin.
    Odd way to explain i know but its late and my brain cant think of anything more intellegent then that

To me if it wasnt complusory i dont think there would be to much difference in the number of people who would actually go and vote.

Could be wrong but i dont think it would make much difference like its not going to go from say 80% voting to 20%.

look i dont know how to explain better why i feel what i feel
    Its not crystal clear to myself.

I have many problems in politics between lies, betrayal, broken promises and so on and i can only hope that someone is working their way up to office that will be the hope for our childrens future!

Its just the overall of it that i disagree with. It doesnt make sense to me and i just dont feel that its right you know.

Thanks
    Reviews

Funnily enough there have been politicians in support of non compulsory voting Mark Latham springs to mind but there have been others). Best way to get that actioned? Vote for them