+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

We just had our local election and my BIL said he voted for the independent candidate because she makes nice sandwiches!!! ( she owns a deli) this is why I think voting should not be compulsory as I really think a lot of people do not put thought into it! What do you think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Where I vote it's not compulsory.

Honestly, the reasons I've seen for voting have ranged from 'the opposition has crooked teeth' to 'he's giving us tax cuts' when the tax cuts actually rendered that individual worse off.

I really just think they should hand me the reigns and I'll become dictator.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I don't believe it should be compulsory.
    I have to admit yesterday at my local election I voted whoever didn't shove their flyer in my face as I was walking past!
    I saw the candidates and was very disappointed the current mayor had pulled out, I don't feel that any of the others would fulfill the job so I honestly couldn't care who is successful this time.

National election however I DO take very seriously.

mummabec is offline I could hold you for a million years, to make you feel my love
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'm in two minds about it. I think there needs to be a LOT more education about politics (which I think can only be a good thing). As it is now most people don't understand that they're voting for the party not the leader, they also don't understand the difference between the two houses. It's terrible!

But making it voluntary scares me that only extreme opinions will be heard, and imagine hearing people whinge about the gov't knowing that they didn't vote! That would annoy me so much!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mummabec For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (09-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

It shouldn't be compulsory. If you have no interest in the outcome you shouldn't be forced to waste a huge chunk of your day lining up, picking a particular name you don't even recognise on a piece of paper and putting it in a box.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (09-09-2012),Pearl Barley  (09-09-2012),Sariele  (09-09-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Australia is on of the few places (possibly only place) where voting is compulsory. I quite like that it's compulsory. Just because some people select candidates based on seemingly trivial reasons it doesn't mean they wouldn't vote if voting wasn't compulsory.

Anyway, Australians can be so apathetic can you imagine come an election of voting wasn't compulsory? Counting the votes would take about 5 minutes!

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-09-2012),minxyq  (10-09-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (09-09-2012),snowqu33n  (09-04-2013),sweetseven  (09-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Of course it should not be compulsory. I couldn't believe it when I found out it was in Australia!

Makes no sense and does not encourage people to make well thought out voting decisions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Do you think voting should not be compulsory?

I am undecided on this. I can't believe some people (DP included) don't want to have some sort of input into who runs our country. He was brought up to believe that voting is just a huge inconvenience to your life. Yes it might well be an inconvenience to vote but if all the people who thought that way enrol themselves and voted then maybe we might have a half decent political party running the country instead of chopping and changing every year. Instead he complains about the political system and yet he won't vote to change it.

Yes his mother actually encouraged him not to go on the electoral role specifically so he didn't have to vote. If you haven't been on the electoral role to begin with then you don't get fined for not voting.

Sent from my GT-S6500T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel like voting is a waste of time, and if it were not compulsory I wouldn't bother.

... BUT ...

I believe that it is important to have compulsory voting. If voting is not compulsory, then only the strongly motivated would bother. Therefore that would skew the results dramatically.

--------

So personally I would prefer it be voluntary, but socially I believe it is best being compulsory.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 09-09-2012 at 11:49.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I think it should be compulsory and I think there should be way more education on politics. I also make sure I read up on each candidate to make an informed choice- I think everyone has a responsibility to do this. When you look back, historically speaking, to see what women went through to allow us a vote I think it's a disservice to their suffering and their long fight to not vote or to complain about having to vote. It's not like it's every week! You can always get organized, vote in advance by post or other means depending on where you live and what type of election it is.
    Nothing irks me more than certain people I know who are not enrolled to vote yet do nothing but b!tch and whine about the government that they did not vote for. If you vote, you have a right to have a say. If not, sorry but tough. Your vote could have been the one that made a difference!

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-09-2012),cluckcluck  (09-09-2012),Eko  (11-04-2013),Lillynix  (07-10-2012),LoveLivesHere  (09-09-2012),minxyq  (10-09-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (09-09-2012),NancyBlackett  (09-09-2012),twotrunks  (09-09-2012)