+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default wooden floors in kitchens

Last edited by mum2one99; 21-03-2015 at 18:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We're sticking with wood for purely aesthetic reasons. If they are polished properly then you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I have a large living/dining/kitchen area that is all floorboards. We mop daily and there has been no problem, except for the fact that you feel grittiness quite easily hence doing the floors daily.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I'd do wood. We had bamboo in our last house and had no issue. We are getting spotted gum in our next house which will also go into the kitchen. Just don't let water sit on the wood and it will be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Re: wooden floors in kitchens

Make sure you get a really good finisher in. The cheaper tradies ofter do thinner coats and less of them.

Be prepared for the fact that you might have to re-sand in a few years to keep it looking good

Forgive any weird substitutions... Silly phone, but I still love it

Thanks
    Reviews

OP it also would depend on the type of wood flooring you would get. If you were getting solid timber the moisture could cause the wood to warp and buckle etc, but if it were laminated floorboards or engineered you shouldn't really have a buckling issue, but water sitting on the floor wouldn't be very good for the laminate/polish/varnish.

Thanks
    Reviews

I went wooden floors throughout kitchen ( bamboo ) and no problems. Like others have said as long as you wipe up water straight away.
    I actually have my bath on a step which is also wood and no dramas there either.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: wooden floors in kitchens

We have spotted gum throughout all the living areas. No problems in the kitchen, I mop twice a week and clean up spills quickly. Depends on the finish I think. We did a 2pac polyurethane, it's very hard wearing.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub