+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Stuff you thought everyone else knew......

Quote Originally Posted by PuppyGuts View Post
    i didnt realise the prawns you buy from a shop are cooked-the red ones. i thought thats how they came out of the sea and you could just eat them raw like oysters. same with crabs. but i even bought a heap of red tiger prawns and tried to make a dish and it was awful and know i know it was because i shouldve gotten raw ones but i didnt know.

i found out when i saw a sign saying 'cooked prawns' in a seafood shop and i asked him what a cooked prawn looked like and he showed me a normal one. then i asked to see a raw one. Mind. Blown.

i also didnt realise they were straight. i thought red and curly was how they got around under water. Its the fact the heads/tails.are still attached that threw me.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Im sorry not laughing at you but I did have a giggle, thankyou I like reading this thread for a bit of a giggle and also for the I didnt know that either factor.
    Thankyou great thread

Sent from my GT-S5830T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Stuff you thought everyone else knew......

Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Prawns are straight?????
    They look a bit like sea horses swimming. Well the shrimp in our creeks do so I assume it's the same for prawns.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mopoke For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post

This is from a thread a while back, I'm surpised how many people don't know butter can be stored at room temperature.
    I keep my real butter in a dish in the cupboard in winter. It couldnt quite handle a QLD summer though so its spreadable brands then

Also, i say 'lost points' but even when i lost my licence the reason was 'accumulation of demerit points'

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm pretty sure butter does go rancid when exposed to air and light.

You could keep it out of the fridge in a French butter dish. The water makes an airtight seal. Wish I could find one in Australia!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_butter_dish

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it will go rancid eventually, but it must take a long time as I leave mine in a standard (covered) butter dish through summer here (WA) and no problem - just super gloopy! I think unalted butter turns faster?

I know most people don't understand this concept - PP mentioned the sensors at lights - they are in the ground and you need to drive onto them. It's why there are 'cuts' in a brand new road at the intersection. I got a taxi once and he kept flashing his lights as he approached intersections to 'trigger' the lights. I used to work nights and knew which intersection needed 1 car to trigger immediately and which needed 2. The ones that needed 2 I'd reverse and roll forward again, otherwise you'd need to wait a few minutes. This is why I go mad when people stop 3m short of the intersection (eg. missing the sensors)... WHY?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

MINIRoo  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

tbh i have butter like cheese so it doesnt have time to get yuck lol but i imagine it would have to be in a dish. mines just a china one though

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

That you have to give way to an ambulance or other emergency services vehicle, including getting off the damn road and into the shoulder if needed
    Forgive any weird substitutions... Silly phone, but I still love it

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

backgroundnoise  (10-09-2012),Gandalf  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    This one kills me! I know it's pronounced Moette, but I know that most people DON'T know that. So if I say 'Moette' then I think that other people will think I'm stupid, and if I say "Moay" then I die a little as I know I'm saying it wrong. So now I try not to say it at all.

"Yes, I'd love another glass!"
    "What are you drinking?"
    "Erm... Oh, I'll get it!"

Luckily I prefer other champagnes...
    Me too!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another road related one - that you have to wait for pedestrians to cross the lights before you can turn left.... even if you can sneak through before they get to your side of the road. ARGHHHHHHHH

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Another road related one - that you have to wait for pedestrians to cross the lights before you can turn left.... even if you can sneak through before they get to your side of the road. ARGHHHHHHHH
    I believe you are wrong.

For a zebra crossing, you must wait - even if the zebra crossing is divided at the island and not a straight line across.

But if the crossing is merely operated by pedestrian walk/dontwalk signals but not a zebra crossing then you are allowed to drive across whenever someone is not in the way.

PS: Legal disclaimer just in case I am wrong. The above is not legal advice, merely my understanding as a lay person.