+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Those with tiled floors

I have a few questions

How do you *really* find the tiles?
    Apart from the PITA of actually having to mop them, are they easy to clean?
    Do they stain at all from spills?
    Do you have issues with children dropping things on them and either breaking what they dropped or breaking the tiles?
    Do you have polished or matte tiles? Ceramic or porcelain? Which would you prefer to have?
    Do you have issues with small children hurting themselves when learning to sit/crawl/walk?

We're thinking a little ahead of ourselves, but are wanting to re-do the floors in the hall, laundry and the kitchen/dining. We're thinking of having the same floor throughout those areas for continuity given they all flow off each other, the only rooms that will remain carpet are the bedrooms and lounge.

So yeah, we're considering tiles, but have not cemented our decision, we're also considering vinyl tiles at this stage.

Thanks for any info

*I can haz typos*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

We have polished porcelain (I think it's porcelain).
    We hate them. Hate is an understatement. They are cold. They are ugly. Really slippery when wet. My heart jumps out my throat when the kids fall on them (and have had a few teeth through lip events now too, one where DD2s lip saved her teeth from shattering). Can see the dirt really easily (coz they are white and polished) and you can see streaks and marks etc really easily too.
    OMG. Never again. Wood flooring all the way for us.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We have tiles...I hate them.

I don't like the look of tiles - I think timber provides so much more warmth and a much more 'homely' feeling.

They are easier to clean than our last tiled house, because they are a darker colour (don't ever get white!). They aren't very slippery unless something gets spilled...but my heart stops when one of the littlies falls over. They are really hard...my DS has had quite a few bad knocks on the tiles.

We haven't experienced a cracked tile yet and my kids throw all sorts of things at them, but we had one cracked tile at our old house because DH dropped something.

I would personally choose timber over tiles any day.

Thanks
    Reviews

We love our tiles easy to clean ... (We have inside pets) We live in central Queensland so the cold doesn't bother us.. Even in winter temp drops to average 5 deg in the mornings and still no drama ....

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Subscribing I'm interested too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Those with tiled floors

Quote Originally Posted by RunawayPrincess View Post
    We have polished porcelain (I think it's porcelain).
    We hate them. Hate is an understatement. They are cold. They are ugly. Really slippery when wet. My heart jumps out my throat when the kids fall on them (and have had a few teeth through lip events now too, one where DD2s lip saved her teeth from shattering). Can see the dirt really easily (coz they are white and polished) and you can see streaks and marks etc really easily too.
    OMG. Never again. Wood flooring all the way for us.
    This. We are in a rental and I hate the floor. Our whole house is tiled. So freakin cold in winter too. When we build, we will be having either polished concrete or wooden floors. But will definately have carpet in the lounge, bedrooms, study etc.

I'm sick of scrubbing grout from the ridiculous stains we get in the kitchen. I'm sick of mopping a whole houee after vacuuming a whole house.

I can't wait to have more carpet than hard floors.

Oh, also, DD dropped a small heinz glass jar in the kitchen and we have a cracked tile now.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

We have white polished tiles and I HATE them! I have to vacuum everyday and mop every 2 days of I want them to look clean!
    They don't crack when I've dropped things on them, and they haven't stained and they have had those red berry mixes stuck on them

But nope I would never live in a house with them again! Especially with a baby, he doesn't seem to mind crawling on them and has fallen numerous time and been ok. He also adopted his own way to crawl on them. On his hands and feet not knees.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did this in our old house to make it easier care when we started using it as a rental. They were white tiles so did show up dirt etc but are very easy toclean. As they are matte they clean well. High gloss tiles or rough textured tiles can be a nightmare.

Our new house also has a fair bit of tiling, but they are a darker natural colour so dont show up dirt.

You'll find the extra tiling can be a bit tiring on your feet/legs till you get used to walking on it.

When our kid was younger we had a couple of stacks with a head bump on the tiles, but nothing worse than he'd get on cement or a path or something outdoors.

Dropping something on tiles is more likely to result in the thing being dropped breaking. How easily your tiles chip or crack will often depend on what material they are and their quality.

If you do proceed with tiling then make sure you get a few boxes of spares so you can replace any that break over the years.

Textured tiles can be a bugger to clean as the dirt gets trapped. And you'll want to clean the grout periodically if you're a neat freak like me.

As a rule though, I like our tiles and find them easy care and easy clean with kids/family.

You might feel you're sweeping/vacuuming more often but this is only because the dirt and dust is more visible when its not getting trapped in mats or carpet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Turk EnJayDee View Post
    I'm sick of scrubbing grout from the ridiculous stains we get in the kitchen.
    Eugh. I hate grout too! We were going to get our tiles professionally cleaned when we moved in but the guy told us he couldn't because the grout hadn't been sealed. It's like chalk! And it absorbs like chalk too! So dirty and the only real way to clean the grout is to scrub a layer off dodgy as.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Turk EnJayDee  (08-09-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

We rent, hate them, basically everything RP has said! We will have wood or polished cement. I hate grout!