+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Allergy Testing

Hi All,

My daughter (18 months) has had issues with dairy since birth. She was breastfed and if I drank milk she would vomit and vomit after her feed. I have found that she suffers with stomach aches during the night if she has milk. She has cheese each day and seems fine, and I give her yoghurt occasionally and I think she struggles with it at night too, however she seems fine through the day.

I think it is time I got her tested for allergy/intolerance. My questions are:
    1. Have you had similar problems with your child?
    2. Do you think she is old enough for testing?
    3. Can you recommend testers in Brisbane.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi rachel

My eldest DD (now 4) had issues with dairy from the time she weaned onwards. She was diagnosed with CMPI around 12 months of age, and has fairly recently been diagnosed with coeliac diease. Not that I'm saying your DD has coeliac disease of course.

What kind of testing were you wondering about?

As far as intolerances go, unfortunately there aren't any 100% reliable tests available, only the kind that operate by dietry exclusion then challenge etc.

How is she if you eliminate all dairy products from her diet?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not too old for testing. We'e just gone through it with our 2 year old and there were younger children there. I can recommend Dr Werther at Greenslopes Private Hospital in Bris.

Its not pleasant, but over quickly and well worth it. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS is 8 months and was allergy tested last week. He has a milk allergy and is now on soy formula. He didn't seem to have any vomiting issues but think it has been a cause of his eczema. It didn't take long and didn't hurt him - I was worried about this but he laughed through most of it - until he got a little bit itchy.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Allergy Testing

Dd1 is dairy allergic, she was diagnosed at 12m. Imo the earlier you get them tested the better, the scratch test is a bit unpleasant but dd1 was less upset when she was younger. We had a follow up test when she was 30m and it was far worse for her

**Nothing spells as goof as typo splats**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, she has her 18month needles next week so I will get her doc to write a referral. I am not sure what type of testing they would do with an 18 month old. Scratch test maybe?

Thanks for your help