+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Medela swing breast pump

Has anyone used the Medela breast pump?

I would be using it about 6 times a day and I was told if I was using it that often then I would burn the motor

Would that be true?

Thanks
    Reviews

I highly doubt it since they're used in hospitals.
    I used one 3-5 times a day whilst in hospital and it was fantastic! Best pump I've used.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As PP said they're hospital recommended and used so I doubt it. I've been using mine more often than that but only for a week, I love it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I really looked into this pump and it was the best I could find. Highly recommended by many sites, stores, hospitals, etc.

If you were using it do often I wouldn't go for the mini version (which is about $100 cheaper) I would think then the motor would burn out.

But as others have said. This particular model is very popular in hospital and especially down in SCU, ICU where mothers of premi babies use it daily.

Thanks
    Reviews

I doubt you will burn the motor out but if you need to use it that often I would go for a double pump medela. I can't remember the model name but all medela breast pumps are great. I used my medela swing about 3 times a day but because I could only do one side at a time it would take me about an hour to pump both sides

Thanks
    Reviews

I used mine heaps (prob six times a day easy) but then I really found that it was time consuming as it only does one side at a time and I had a newborn to look after... I ended up buying the freestyle (double Medela pump) as I had been told that the use of a double pump helps increase prolactin which increases your supply, as well as the time saving and convenience. I bought it from the states as it was half the price (that place has stopped exporting them to aus though) and while I was waiting for it to arrive I hired a hospital double Medela pump and bought a hands free boob tube thingy, it was a life saver. If you are going to be expressing a lot I would seriously consider a double pump, I don't know what your circumstances are but I expressed for 12 months as was unable to bf and I would not have kept going without the double pump I don't think. I think the pump can handle a lot of use, but can you handle the time spent doing it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The Medela Swing is perfect for frequent use. I flogged mine daily for 13 months and it still works.

I would recommend them to anyone who wanted to express on a regular basis.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I used mine up to 6 times a day for about 6 months. It never skipped a beat. I sold it then bought another one for my surprise DS. Loved it. Highly recommend.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm just finding the whole attachment thing hard. Milk comes out and she slips out and it just hurts.

Not sure how long I will continue for.

I've seen lactation consultants and she attaches fine there but I just prefer to express and give in bottle with formula.

I'm using the Medela symphony exactly the same as hospitals. It's good but time consuming.
    Only hiring and it's costing me $115 a month.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Medela swing breast pump

We were hiring too for a while and it adds up, if you bought a freestyle or similar you could probably sell it for a decent amount afterwards and it would be cheaper them hiring in the long term. We claimed the pumps we bought and the hire on tax as medical expenses (accountant said we could) so that's something to keep in mind. I saw someone selling a serving hand freestyle on guntree yesterday if you'd consider looking at second hand. I sold my swing for $110 in the end so they do get decent resale. Depends how long you want to do it for, I think if I didn't have a double pump and the handsfree boob tube I would have quit much sooner. I can't figure out how to put a link on from my phone but on the medela website there's a picture of the zip up handsfree thing. I got it online cheaper though. That plus a light, portable double pump with belt clip (not the heavy hospital pumps) meant I could actually make lunch in the kitchen while my ds slept while expressing! If you know anyone in the states, the freestyle is about $330 and they could post it over to you, we just bought a voltage adapter from **** smith and had no issues. You could probably resell it for close to that price too. I had attachment and pain issues too but really wanted to give ds breast milk while I had the supply. Feel free to pm me if you want any info or help, I know what it's like!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub