+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Sippy Cup Help!

DD is 13mo and we're trying to ditch the bottles. She no longer has a morning bottle (she has 100ml of formula on her breaky) but is still having lunch and bedtime bottles.

DD has been offered a sippy cup for a few months now with water, but has only just started actually drinking from it. She only has maybe a mouthful or so at a time. Other times if I show her the cup she starts having a tantrum until I take it away!

Today I tried giving her the lunch time formula in the sippy cup and she went ballistic until I transferred it to a bottle.

The nurse at the clinic said to go cold turkey on the bottles and use more formula in her meals so she's still getting the nutrition as she doesn't think DD will improve with the cup until she knows there's no bottle coming.

She can't have dairy so I want to make sure she gets enough formula, as well as making sure she gets enough fluids. She eats really well and handles all kinds of foods without any issue.

Am I over thinking this? Any ideas on how to get her to have her lunch bottle in a sippy cup??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Sippy Cup Help!

Why don't you just wait until she's older? Is it really a huge deal if she has bottles? When they're closer to 2 it's a bit easier to reason with them. Not that I'm much help as I breastfed DS until he was nearly 4.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sippy Cup Help!

Took my toddler FOREVER to get the hang of it. Then all of a sudden at about 13 months TA DA! It's like bub just got it. Keep introducing it, your DD will pick it up in her own time!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lucymoo For This Useful Post:

Cue  (08-09-2012)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Sippy Cup Help!

Have you tried a sipper cup with a soft teat on it? One that sort of still looks like a bottle but isn't? My DS is nearly 3 and has a tommee tippee sipper cup.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

Cue  (08-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Sippy Cup Help!

Have you tried the sippy cups with the straws in them? They were the only type of sippy cups my kids would take for a long time.
    Ds1 had a bottle addiction that i couldn't break until he was three. I chucked them all out and he went cold turkey.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Cue  (08-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    we used a transitional bottle which has 3 different lids. The first one is a teat, the second one is like a sippy cup and the third one is a straw. after a couple of months on the second stage I was able to give normal sippy cups without any problems.

Also have you tried a "special" sippy cup with your childs favourite charcter on it e.g thomas the tank engine or dora the explorer?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to andy90 For This Useful Post:

Cue  (08-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sippy Cup Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Why don't you just wait until she's older? Is it really a huge deal if she has bottles? When they're closer to 2 it's a bit easier to reason with them. Not that I'm much help as I breastfed DS until he was nearly 4.
    I'd prefer she isn't on bottles too much longer because of the issues with long term bottle use and dental development.

I would be breastfeeding if that was at all a possibility but unfortunately it wasn't, so here we are.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sippy Cup Help!

Quote Originally Posted by HugsBunny View Post
    Have you tried a sipper cup with a soft teat on it? One that sort of still looks like a bottle but isn't? My DS is nearly 3 and has a tommee tippee sipper cup.
    We've tried a few types, the most successful is a soft spout Nuby one.