+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Can't believe the cheek of some people *vent

Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    I have to say, I think you are being way OTT.

If I lived next to a huge vacant block that the owners only visited every few months or so I would also think it was okay to let my kids explore and play there. Don't you remember what it was like being a kid?? Big old meanie with your big fences and signs saying no playing!

I understand being peeved at the fence and the stuff being left everywhere but the guy sounds sensible and I'm sure would keep it tidy if you made that a condition of using it. I don't understand why people are saying he's a scumbag - he sounds like he was perfectly reasonable on the phone (seeing as this was the FIRST time he knew you weren't happy with things I understand how taken aback he was) - saying he'll move all the stuff straight away and fix the fence etc.

I would have accepted his offer to do the slashing and just asked that he repair the fence and keep the area tidy/clear of their items. Poor kids with a massive block of land going to waste right next to them.
    So you would be happy for someone to break into your property, destroy your fence and rip up the land? As well as leaving their own property on it?
    Seriously poor kids??? I certainly wouldn't set that example for my kids.

Also the phone call was a third contact attempt, they'd gone to their house, they weren't there so they left a note.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrsOhara For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (17-09-2012),BornToBe  (16-09-2012),onkybear  (17-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

See I agree to a degree with the above in that yeah it shouldn't be a big deal to let some kids stretch their legs on an unused block of land. I think what is rude is that they aren't 'being kids' playing tiggy and ball games - they're ripping up the lawn and soil with motorized equipment (ie dirt bikes) without asking... Showing blatant disrespect for someone else's property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to squirrelex For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (18-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsOhara View Post
    So you would be happy for someone to break into your property, destroy your fence and rip up the land? As well as leaving their own property on it?
    As I said, NO I wouldn't be happy with the fence and leaving stuff on it. But this guy said he'd attend to those issues.

If dirt tracks on your land get you upset then fair enough. All I'm saying is, this land isn't being used for anything at all. Who the heck cares about dirt tracks on vacant investment land?? Weird being "furious" and contacting lawyers over such a thing IMO.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

Nagari  (03-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Can't believe the cheek of some people *vent

As I said, NO I wouldn't be happy with the fence and leaving stuff on it. But this guy said he'd attend to those issues.

If dirt tracks on your land get you upset then fair enough. All I'm saying is, this land isn't being used for anything at all. Who the heck cares about dirt tracks on vacant investment land?? Weird being "furious" and contacting lawyers over such a thing IMO.
    If it‘s done enough, it can destroy the land and soil quality.

Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

The issue that would concern me most, would be potentially being sued if their kids fell off their motorbikes or something on the land.

So I wouldn't let them use it even though it's a vacant block.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Shanaynay For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (17-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Can't believe the cheek of some people *vent

Well the owner of the property in this instance cares...l wouldnt let my kids use someone elses property especially without permission. I would want my kids to understand you need to respect other peoples' property. If my kids wanted to ride their dirt bikes on the vacant land l would ask them not to use it until l had spoken to the neighbour and gotten their ok.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Night Owl For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (17-09-2012),BornToBe  (16-09-2012),squirrelex  (09-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way would I raise my kids with such a sense of entitlement. Giving them the idea that it is acceptable to 1. cut through a fence 2. store belongings on someone else's property 3. use their friggin' dirtbikes on said property without permission! Seriously question anyone thinking this is an "ok" thing to do (glad you're not MY neighbours!).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (17-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Who the heck cares about dirt tracks on vacant investment land?? Weird being "furious" and contacting lawyers over such a thing IMO.
    I don't think it's weird. What makes other people so special they can determine how a vacant block of land is used, that DOESN'T belong to them?
    We own a vacant block of land. It's not quite big enough for people to go dirt biking on it thankfully, but our neighbours seem to think they can use it as their dumping ground and storage for trailers, extra parking etc. I think it is so, so rude, especially since we have to clear it, and PAY for it to be cleared. Essentially we are paying to dispose of our neighbours' rubbish, because they are too lazy to do the right thing. Who do they think they are?
    It is MY property. Get off it!!
    Last edited by Guest1234; 16-09-2012 at 10:13.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (17-09-2012),JaneDoe  (17-09-2012),LoveLivesHere  (17-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to say, I think you are being way OTT.

If I lived next to a huge vacant block that the owners only visited every few months or so I would also think it was okay to let my kids explore and play there. Don't you remember what it was like being a kid?? Big old meanie with your big fences and signs saying no playing!

I understand being peeved at the fence and the stuff being left everywhere but the guy sounds sensible and I'm sure would keep it tidy if you made that a condition of using it. I don't understand why people are saying he's a scumbag - he sounds like he was perfectly reasonable on the phone (seeing as this was the FIRST time he knew you weren't happy with things I understand how taken aback he was) - saying he'll move all the stuff straight away and fix the fence etc.

I would have accepted his offer to do the slashing and just asked that he repair the fence and keep the area tidy/clear of their items. Poor kids with a massive block of land going to waste right next to them.
    Um what planet are you living on????

You think it's ok to utilise someone else's property? You have no respect!

Our property was already starting to look like this neighbours backyard... which is a rubbish tip! If someone can't keep their own yard tidy do you really think they would keep another person's property tidy??

If one of his kids gets hurt on our property we would be the ones being held responsible!

We live in a country town, there is vacant bushland right across the road which is owned by the council and there is a marsh surrounding the entire town... they can go and ride there or better still move to a bigger property should they desire more room, don't use someone else's property! It is NOT ok and not your property to utilise just because it's vacant.

We ourselves live next door to a vacant property and we don't assume it's ok to use it, it doesn't belong to us, someone else has paid good money for it!
    Besides, our kids have enough space in their own backyard, they don't have a need to go onto others property.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Ellymoe  (17-09-2012),onkybear  (17-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Um what planet are you living on????

You think it's ok to utilise someone else's property? You have no respect!

Our property was already starting to look like this neighbours backyard... which is a rubbish tip! If someone can't keep their own yard tidy do you really think they would keep another person's property tidy??

If one of his kids gets hurt on our property we would be the ones being held responsible!

We live in a country town, there is vacant bushland right across the road which is owned by the council and there is a marsh surrounding the entire town... they can go and ride there or better still move to a bigger property should they desire more room, don't use someone else's property! It is NOT ok and not your property to utilise just because it's vacant.

We ourselves live next door to a vacant property and we don't assume it's ok to use it, it doesn't belong to us, someone else has paid good money for it!
    Besides, our kids have enough space in their own backyard, they don't have a need to go onto others property.
    The first part was a bit OTT, the PP was just offering a differing perspective. The second bolding was a bit of an entitled statement, you don't know their financial situation, maybe they can't afford a bigger yard.

The bikes on my property would annoy me to no end, so would the storing of their belongings there, however kids playing tiggy or whatever on my vacant block wouldn't. Kids playing harmless games that do no damage, who cares. Don't you remember what it was like to be a kid? All that vacant land going to waste would be so tempting to play on. Kids love wide open spaces.

That being said it's your property so your choice. It does seem a little wasteful to just let it sit there. Get them to fix the fence and move their stuff.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (22-09-2012),Nagari  (03-10-2012)