+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Parent education and home schooling

Hello!
    I'm thinking of alternative education pathways for my ds1 who starts school next year. He is showing signs of being either on the asd spectrum or having tendencies towards ADHD. I haven't gone into getting a medical assessment of him yet as I just want to see how he develops and changes as he matures. Either way I can already see that socially he will not do well in school and academically he seems to be picking things up slower than his brother who is a year younger and ironically appears gifted.

Just wanted to give background. Anyway, I have been thinking of homeschooling and am lucky enough to have a group of friends looking at the same pathway. In my discussions with them about education it is very obvious to me that their knowledge of schooling comes from reading homeschooling information online and through discussion with other homeschooling parents. I did an education degree a few years back, though I never used it, and as such I see their ideas as being quite old fashioned and not in line with current educational theories. So it got me wondering how home schoolers who were actually practicing (my friends are just pondering at this stage as our kids have not formally started anything) develop their pedagogy and improve their knowledge of best practice. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have done a few subjects towards my bach ed, but have stopped now as it was cutting too much into my family time...

Perhaps your friends could look at doing just a couple of relevant subjects through Open Universities? They don't have to sign up for the whole degree, and can just do one or two subjects related to pedagogy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I don't really feel comfortable suggesting they study at UNi. I think it would be a great idea as it taught me a lot too, but I think they may take it as an insult rather than helpful suggestion.I also know that there ar. Lot of successful home educators that haven't gone down the UNi track. So I was more interested in hearing how other parents have studied iykwim?Thanks again!