+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How would you respond if your child...

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    You want your 5 year old to be embarrassed? That's concerning, I really don't get that logic, they hit so you hit back, they bite so you bite back, they embarrass you so you retaliate? Where is the parenting ? And what hope does a five year old have modeling that behavior? I could never be friends with parents that treat their children like that as yes I too would be concerned they would treat my child like that
    I could never be friends with a parent that has to come on to a website to attack parents parenting.. Does that make you feel powerful instead of taking it out on your child??

In the real world children need to realise that life isn't all peaches and cream. They are going to get embarrassed, upset, frightened and we are here to set those behaviors..
    You may aswell let them hit and spit on everyone else in the room because if they aren't going to respect you, they aren't going to anyone!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (08-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I'm not "attacking" anyone's parenting , I don't understand parents who inflict pain/embarrass their own children and was giving my opinion on your post, as you said you would not be friends with parents who allow their. child to run in restaurants, I would not be friends with people who hit/embarrass 5 year olds

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    I could never be friends with a parent that has to come on to a website to attack parents parenting.. Does that make you feel powerful instead of taking it out on your child??

In the real world children need to realise that life isn't all peaches and cream. They are going to get embarrassed, upset, frightened and we are here to set those behaviors..
    You may aswell let them hit and spit on everyone else in the room because if they aren't going to respect you, they aren't going to anyone!!
    I'll question any parent who says they would slap their child in the face.

It's assault.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

MflUicM  (08-09-2012),trishalishous  (08-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Kirby Star - you're saying two different things. Either your response is controlled or uncontrolled. I personally think that anyone who is willing to admit they'd slap a child for spitting in their face (A FIVE YEAR OLD) whether it be controlled or uncontrolled should not be looking after children.

I'd be extremely angry if my friends child spat in my face but hurting them in any way wouldn't enter my mind at all where as that has been your first response to this post.

First you say you'd slap the child for spitting on you and than say it'd be uncontrolled to justify yourself and than when people question you about the children in your care you say you'd never hit them??!?!? Which one is it?

To answer the OP - I would appologise and take my 5 year old home and they'd have a stern talking to and be in time out/privlidges revoked. The next outing that was meant to be for them (eg a birthday party, a trip to the park, etc) would be cancelled with the reason of them not being able to behave appropriately in public.

However, children like this who are uncontrollable usually get this way for a reason.. whether there be no discipline at home, or whatever it is going on. My child would simply not do this. By the sounds of what you've said actually happened - I'd say the 5 year old is the boss of the family I feel quite sorry for that 5 year old because if they aren't shown how to act appropriately in public by their parents they will be by their peers and other parents (eg. other parents won't have them around for play dates, invite them to birthday parties,) The child is going to be very lonely all because they don't have a parent who can guide them in how to behave in public.
    Last edited by Renesme; 08-09-2012 at 08:32.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

MflUicM  (08-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Re: How would you respond if your child...

Hiding behind attachment parenting for lack of discipline is a cop out to me.

I follow attachment parenting but I an certainly going to set limits and boundaries. The difference between doing that under attachment parenting is that I try to explain why those boundaries are there so that my child can identify them and set them themselves if they are in a similar situation again.

It works too. He's 2.5. We were at dinner at the local pub and he was playing in the kids room. Other kids were fighting, punching, throwing stuff and running.

Xavy ran with them, laughed at them, partook in the play, but not the shenanigans.

Only once did I have to ask him 'do you think that's a good idea?' And he stopped of his own accord

Forgive any weird substitutions... Silly phone, but I still love it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

1) there is a big difference between running in a restaurant to spitting and hitting their mother in the head.

2) Um I'd like to see where I said I'd slap the kid in the face? Also a difference between a slap and a smack that isn't hard!!!

But hey if child isn't going to be disciplined now, I wish them luck in the playground doing it to other kids. Let me guess the mother would be the first one screaming and yelling because the child came home with a broken nose after the 5th kid he spat on and punched in the head had had enough..?

Thanks
    Reviews

I would remove my child from the restaurant after the running around yelling part, after a warning. They would then be required to use their pocket money to pay me back for the meal they ruined. The other 2 actions would have very serious consequences. Their room would probably end up with nothing more than a bed in it and they would be going to bed early for at least a week. They could then earn their belongings back with good behaviour.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    1) there is a big difference between running in a restaurant to spitting and hitting their mother in the head.

2) Um I'd like to see where I said I'd slap the kid in the face? Also a difference between a slap and a smack that isn't hard!!!

But hey if child isn't going to be disciplined now, I wish them luck in the playground doing it to other kids. Let me guess the mother would be the first one screaming and yelling because the child came home with a broken nose after the 5th kid he spat on and punched in the head had had enough..?
    I thought you were agreeing with Kirby Star who said she'd slap the kid in the face.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    Kirby Star - you're saying two different things. Either your response is controlled or uncontrolled. I personally think that anyone who is willing to admit they'd slap a child for spitting in their face (A FIVE YEAR OLD) whether it be controlled or uncontrolled should not be looking after children.

I'd be extremely angry if my friends child spat in my face but hurting them in any way wouldn't enter my mind at all where as that has been your first response to this post.

First you say you'd slap the child for spitting on you and than say it'd be uncontrolled to justify yourself and than when people question you about the children in your care you say you'd never hit them??!?!? Which one is it?

To answer the OP - I would appologise and take my 5 year old home and they'd have a stern talking to and be in time out/privlidges revoked. The next outing that was meant to be for them (eg a birthday party, a trip to the park, etc) would be cancelled with the reason of them not being able to behave appropriately in public.

However, children like this who are uncontrollable usually get this way for a reason.. whether there be no discipline at home, or whatever it is going on. My child would simply not do this. By the sounds of what you've said actually happened - I'd say the 5 year old is the boss of the family I feel quite sorry for that 5 year old because if they aren't shown how to act appropriately in public by their parents they will be by their peers and other parents (eg. other parents won't have them around for play dates, invite them to birthday parties,) The child is going to be very lonely all because they don't have a parent who can guide them in how to behave in public.
    Go read the whole thread i am done with repeating myself.

To everyone else who feels like continuing to attack me there is a block button, go use it!

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    For those of you who feel the need to continue this on AND talk about me off site,
    I will say this

I have ONE child, he is 2.
    I do NOT smack him often, I have NEVER smacked him anywhere BUT his bum!
    Mostly he understands the concept of stop please or you will go to time out,

I find smacking to be mostly ineffective and as a result dont find it helpful as a source of disipline,

I also was NOT justifying OR saying anything I may hypothetically do would be acceptable.

I have NOT said I would PUNCH anyone.