+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    Nowhere - what is ABA therapy?
    Applied behavioural analysis its basicly a way of learning learning through behaviour, a differnt way or learning, It is often used with children with autism and other special needs.

We use lots of story boards and compics and short simple instructions. DD does ABAat school as wel and at home and then over time its spilled across into out parenting in general.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How would you respond if your child...

Quote Originally Posted by CluckySC View Post
    The thing that's frustrating is that the child is actually a nice kid - they just don't get guidance to know what is and isn't ok.

At one point my DS1 got something in his shoe and it was hurting him. The child came up to give him a hug and said "I'm really sorry that's happened to you. I've had that happen before too and it wasn't nice."
    At another point they said to DS "let's race. You can win if you like."

I feel bad for the child that they're not being guided because they've got a good heart, they're just being allowed to turn feral due to lack of parenting
    Aww that's cute and sad. Do you think this other kid could maybe learn from your ds? Peer learning has a huge impact on young people and may even teach him what his mother hasn't?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by backgroundnoise View Post
    Aww that's cute and sad. Do you think this other kid could maybe learn from your ds? Peer learning has a huge impact on young people and may even teach him what his mother hasn't?
    Maybe. To be honest that's partially why I haven't stopped seeing them. I'm very open about the fact that I do believe in guiding kids and even did so with her child today on two occasions when their actions affected me or DS. With the other situations I
    explained to DS (within her earshot) why it's not ok to do those things and praised him for not joining in or walking away when he realized it was wrong. To DS' credit he removed himself from the bad behavior (there were many more examples of it) and came to sit beside me instead.
    I'll see how we go next time. DS' lip was hurt (not badly but it bled) when the other child accidentally head butted him as they were jumping in his face, as well as other minor things. If DS is hurt again by behavior that isn't addressed by the mother I won't see them again. If he's not I'll give it another try in the hope that the mother or child might have a lightbulb moment.

Honestly I doubt it will happen though because it's not apathy on the mothers part, she's a very involved parent in other ways. She just follows the natural parenting ideology that praise, coercion and correction should all be avoided because it prevents the development of self regulation and leads to a lifetime of striving blindly for external validation rather than personal success. So I doubt anything will change, but I can hope!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossompossum View Post
    I would take my child somewhere private. Prob the bathroom and give them a back hander
    I am hoping this is figurative, not literal... cos it made me LOL...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (07-09-2012)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would take my child somewhere private. Prob the bathroom and give them a back hander
    would that be while teaching him or her that hitting people is wrong ? if so that sounds productive to say the least

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (08-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by bubbabailey View Post
    ^^ this!
    My DD would cop an absolute hiding outside the resterant beside the car and then I would explain on the way home no more outings. That's disgusting behaviour for a 5yo!
    Are you just joking?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (08-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I will say after the first few times I learnt right from wrong very quickly
    Because you were scared?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hubby and I both use to get the strap when we were kids and I will say after the first few times I learnt right from wrong very quickly
    To me a back hander is a smack with the back of your hand across someones face not a tap on the butt that is what i was shocked at.

I dont smack DD but have no judgement of thoe that smack a tap on the bum but a back hander like i just discribed call me a horrible person but heck yes i would judge someone that struck a kid in that manner

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Petrified and I learnt from it.
    Oh. How sad.
    I'm sorry you were taught right from wrong using fear.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (08-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How would you respond if your child...

Deleted,
    sick of the ****
    Last edited by intruderalert1234; 08-09-2012 at 09:08.