+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Grommets, tonsil and adenoid surgery for 2 year old... any advice?

My 2 year old is having surgery in two weeks. My eldest son (who is 8) had his adenoids and tonsils removed last year. I knew that my youngest would need his removed as well, which was confirmed today by an ENT. The thing that blew me away was that he also needs grommets. I was aware of his speech and I thought he didn't listen because he was a bit naughty at times and was choosing to ignore me. But in actual fact he can't hear that well, I feel pretty terrible

Anyhow, any parents had their little ones undergo all three ops in one. I must admit I have no idea about grommets at all, so any advice would be much appreciated. Do I need to buy earplugs for him? No baths? No swimming? Do they fall out often? I should have asked today but I didn't because it was unexpected.

rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My goddaughter had her grommets in and adenoids out today!

Surgery was finished at 10:15 (started at 8) and she was home at about 2pm. The scariest part is the anesthetic, they tend to fight once they'll had the mask on and it's quite scary for parents who are there. She vomited everything she drank for a few hours afterwards - when she stopped vomiting blood (leftover from op), she got to go home. Anesthetist said make sure you explain about the mask as that's often what scares them the most.

Make sure you try to keep there fluids up so if they do vomit as a result of coming off the drugs they have something to bring up. Juice, water but if they won't drink, icypoles were a hit today. Also soothes their sore throats. Also, you can't give them panadol until they eat something so try to offer all their comfort foods when you think they're ready. Goddaughter had perked up by 3 when I left, and is tired but fine now. Expected she'll be running around tomorrow!

Lots of comforts for the hospital and some stickers/colouring in etc for home.

Grommets will require earplugs in the bath as well as earplugs, a cap and a band to hold everything in place for swimming. They don't fall out as far as I'm aware.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Re: Grommets, tonsil and adenoid surgery for 2 year old... any advice?

All three fit my little one. And it was the best thing I could have done for him.

Suggestions to help... Bubbles for while waiting. They're an awesome non food distraction.

Baby legs in hospital means it's like having selective long sleeves and pants. Easier to work minutes around than full suits.

Distraction for you, and food for you for after the surgery/the night/breakfast the next day

Forgive any weird substitutions... Silly phone, but I still love it

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    Grommets will require earplugs in the bath as well as earplugs, a cap and a band to hold everything in place for swimming. They don't fall out as far as I'm aware.
    You don't have to use ear plugs. You can also use blue tac and it's a bit cheaper to. Also once the grommets have done their job they can fall out but may also need another hospital trip to have them removed.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Grommets, tonsil and adenoid surgery for 2 year old... any advice?

My dd had this operation at 3,.
    Anesthetic was the worst but this was her 3 op so wasn't as scary this time. While she was in surgery I made sure that I ate something I'm not a fan of hospitals and tend to faint seeing my dd unwell is not my strong point.
    We were told that she had to eat something before discharge, jelly and icy poles were winners, my dd stayed overnight in hosp as they recommended 3hr panadol and she is a nightmare when it comes to medicine, (ended up with panadol enemas, such horrible thing for a 3 year old).
    My dd has had 3 sets of grommets, they will fall out I think from memory sometime between 9months and 2 years. You won't know when they pop out, they are the tiniest things ever.
    We didn't stress to much in bath just made sure when washing hair didn't get water in ears, swimming was fine, plugs or blue tack are good I found my dd these irritated her ears we ended up wearing a swimming cap.
    Good luck. Not sure where you are but royal childrens hospital gave us a book which was really good.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im just subscribing. We are about to go through the same operations with DS. We are going back to our ENT next week to figure out dates for it to be done.
    Thankfully DS hasnt had any hearing loss or speaking delays, just awful ear infections. He has been diagnosed with sleep apnea though. Figners crossed the operation fixes everything.
    Good luck to you OP!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Thanks so much everyone. I'm loving the advice and suggestions. Will definitely pack some bubbles and coloring books, great ideas! I'm in Perth, op will be at St John of God. He has sleep obstructive disorder (sleep apnea) so I can't wait til we can all have a full nights sleep, without the snoring, choking and breathing difficulties. I also am hoping this will stop his dribbling. It is terrible and so embarrassing lol He still has to wear bibs, several a day. I've done some googling on grommets, lets hope it will be a positive experience and he'll start hearing better and his speech improves. I have a swimming pool at home so I'm imaging lots of tantrums come summer :/ I did read about blue tac, thanks for the suggestion. I actually would have thought it would get slippery when wet and would fall out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Yep DD2 had tonsils, adenoids, grommets and nose cauterised at 2 years. I agree them getting knocked out is the worst part with the mask and being so little.
    We had ear plugs fitted as she swam a lot was only $40 for plugs and a hair wrap to make sure they don't fall out. Her first set of grommets lasted 4months, second set 6months and 3rd set a year. She now has the all clear..
    Good luck with the surgery, you will notice a massive difference with speech within days of having the grommets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    My son's sleep apneoa was cleared up by the op In fact he was already improving BEFORE discharge after being so chronically ill for so long.

He actually went in twice though. First time was grommets and adenoids only. He had begun to loose weight and was even scratched from surgery at the first hospital cause he was too light, and their insurance wouldn't cover them.
    So grommets and adenoids in the mater and he came out a new child. He started to sleep at night, responded to sound and was a happier child in general.

The starving was hard though. He just did not understand, and he was still breastfeed and was VERY cranky that mummy wouldn't make with the boobies.

Over time the apnoea came back though, and he started getting tonsilitis.
    We went back in with the intentions of taking out tonsils and 'cleaning' the grommets (they sometimes block up a bit).
    They ended up finding that the adenoids had grown back (was less than 6months later), the grommets were replaced with much larger grommets and tonsils came out.

He was eating normal food straight way (helps clear the site of the op for tonsils), but had much more milk than usual in recovery. It was important to keep up pain meds, but he is SOOOOOOO much better than he was and I'm thankful for the op.

loop is offline Two kiddos keeping me on my toes :-)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi gruffalo! we suspect DS has sleep apnea of some degree too He snores, holds his breath, then snorts in his sleep. Of course neither of us get much of it... anyway, we are seeing Tim Cooney in October about it. Did you have to have a sleep study before the diagnosis or did your ENT decide on the op after seeing your DS?

I'm in NOR BTW