+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Hospital not so VBAC friendly after all

Like many of the PP's, all the midwifes are being very supportive of my upcoming VBAC, the Ob I saw really not so much my tactic will be to smile and nod at them for the time being, and start being more of a stubborn bish as it gets closer. I had DS at the same hospital and they pretty much left me to my own devices and were very supportive of natural birth and respected all my wishes, so I'm not going to get anxious or expect to have to put up a fight, but I will be prepared for one.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

From what I've learnt... ALOT of hospitals will SAY they are pro vbac... But when the time comes they are anything but.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (07-09-2012),mum2twinboys  (07-09-2012),SassyMummy  (27-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hospital not so VBAC friendly after all

I tried for one two weeks ago but due to baby in LOT position and bubs heart rate dropping to many times I had another C, I got to 9cm.

I had nothing but support form OB an middys, stand ur ground!
    I always went it with the mind set of if bub is in distress I will have a C. I was happy with it in the end.

They can't force u to do anything u don't want.
    I had bub at kaleeya in east Freo.

I did also recover much better from it this time around good luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tjewell For This Useful Post:

mum2twinboys  (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

From years on this forum, this comes as no shock to me. I've wanted a vbac from the moment I had my daughter 7 years ago.

Some hospitals are supportive but generally it seems that most are only willing to let you, "try" and to me, that's just not good enough.

For this reason I will be birthing at home.

This way, I will have one woman of my choice to assist me. I believe it is much more likely she will see the signs of rupture sooner than hosp middies who will be flitting in and out of my room while attending to numerous other labouring mothers and possibly changing shifts. One woman focusing on me and me alone endlessly just seems safer in case of rupture.

I'll also not be ordered to comply with policy. No laying down to be monitored therefore hindering labour. No time restrictions. No hassling about drugs and intervention. No nothing... Other than me doing it my own way with a woman trained and experienced in the type of normal natural birth I want.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (27-09-2012),Happy2be3  (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for all your advice and support.

I will go to the next ultrasound, mainly as I have booked it for 7:30pm - DH can come and see the bub. I think it will help him seeing bub healthy and moving around. He supports my decision for a VBAC, but he is worried about what the OB says.

I think the smile and nod reaction is going to work best for me. I have researched VBACs and C-sections, including medical journals, online, midwives etc , so I am aware of the potentional risks of both options. So I am going to prepare myself for my next appt with the consultant and will advise that I will be going for a VBAC regardless of what they say.

I only see a midwife to weigh in and do BP, I am in the DR clinic so have to see an OB each time. I have found most OBs to be supportive, but the consultant I saw today wasn't at all.

I'm going to try to stay home for as long as possible. Already having pre-labour signs, so fingers crossed I go into labour on my own. I had wanted a homebirth, but can't afford a private midwife and was not eligible for the community midwife program due to the c-section. I will just have to make my requests very clear.

thanks again for you advice, kind words and personal experiences. Hopefully in a few weeks I will be posting a VBAC success story!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    From years on this forum, this comes as no shock to me. I've wanted a vbac from the moment I had my daughter 7 years ago.

Some hospitals are supportive but generally it seems that most are only willing to let you, "try" and to me, that's just not good enough.

For this reason I will be birthing at home.

This way, I will have one woman of my choice to assist me. I believe it is much more likely she will see the signs of rupture sooner than hosp middies who will be flitting in and out of my room while attending to numerous other labouring mothers and possibly changing shifts. One woman focusing on me and me alone endlessly just seems safer in case of rupture.

I'll also not be ordered to comply with policy. No laying down to be monitored therefore hindering labour. No time restrictions. No hassling about drugs and intervention. No nothing... Other than me doing it my own way with a woman trained and experienced in the type of normal natural birth I want.
    Good on you! I'm in the same boat (except I didn't have a ceaser) if I ever have another child it will be at home

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    From wat you've said thT your csection was required due to medical issues like mine it was discovered I had cancer so rather risk my life try chose c section which as against it I was I found it so mucho te relaxing your hospital will see u at risk of a rear with the high bp which is prolly why they don't wanna risk the vbac I know with my next it's gonna come down to my health as to which I'm allowed and hey I go through public and sonlong as I'm open honest and let them know my feelings and birthplan they will try as much as they can to do it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to my 37 week appt last week. Printed off all the clinical guidelines the hospital is supposed to follow plus peer reviewed studies on CFM, VBAC and discussed it with the OB. They agreed that the only possible issue is a big baby, so we signed the consent form for VBAC. They also said no need for weekly monitoring at this stage since all is well. So I will have a stretch and sweep at 39 weeks and will decide then how far over my Due date I am happy to wait.

So all good so far,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Did you end up getting your VBAC?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No VBAC for me. I went in 40 +1 weeks, bub had not engaged, no signs or symptoms of labour. My DP and I spent several days weighing up our options. In the end we decided on an elective c-section. TBH all the negative responses from the OBs and midwives really scared me. I was so anxious and it was affecting my health.

My c-section went really well, so calm and a totally different experience to my emergency c-section. I still feel like I gave up too quickly on my vBAC, but I will work through those feelings.

Jett Mathew was born on 11/10/12. 4.175kg. 52 cm long, 38 cm head circumference . He is just wonderful and my older boys are so in love with him.