+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hospital not so VBAC friendly after all

So I am 35 weeks pregnant and planning for a VBAC after c-section delivery of twins 4 1/2 years ago due to pre-eclampsia.

This time around my Blood pressure has been about 120/80 every time, I have only gained 4kg, bub and I are healthy. The only "issue" is that Im measuring biiger than my dates (by about4 weeks). Had an ultrasound last week that estimated bub's weight at 3kg.

I was booked in today to see the consultant at Joondalup Public to discuss VBAC. I came away from the appt feeling totally unsupported and was given all the stats about VBAC failures, complications etc and none about c-section. I have done heaps of research myself but the consultant wants me to wait until my next appt to sign the paperwork for either a VBAC or c-section.

I have also had an appt booked for me with an anaethetist for 2 weeks time and another growth ultrasound on the same day.

I just feel that I am being railroaded into booking a c-section. I really don't want one and had major issues with the epidural last time which is really scaring me as I don't want another one. I never laboured last time, as I was 37 weeks and twin 1 had not engaged.

Sorry for my rambling, I guess my question to those who have had a VBAC before or attempted one, is how did you manage to make yourself heard and not get pushed into a c-section?

I just dont know what to do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Hospital not so VBAC friendly after all

Yep... Hospitals rarely are supportive of vbac.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Wow the hospitals around me are pro VBAC and very anti c-sect. I have no advice or anything, just cyber hugs.

Thanks
    Reviews

I am attempting a vbac this time round (currently 28 weeks), all of the Ob I have spoken to at my hospital have been anti vbac but willing to give it a try. My midwife (who is very pro vbac) has been fantastic and very supportive, she is completely on my side and will do everything in her power to make it happen for me (as long as it's safe etc).

My suggestion is to try and find a midwife to help support you and make your needs heard.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews

You need to find someone supportive. My ob in a private hospital really wanted me to have a vbac, unfortunately placental issues and breech put an end to it, but I felt very confident due to his support.

Thanks
    Reviews

Is hiring an independent midwife or doula an option? Even to have a student with you as your advocate. You need to stay strong and really make yourself heard. They love to give the horror stories when really the chances of those things happening are very small. Good luck

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chickenlicken79 For This Useful Post:

MrJones&Me  (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm having a vbac in the next week or so and my hospital has been nothing but supportive! I guess it depends on how many risks there are (maybe an increased risk fur to bubs size?). All the best for a healthy and safe outcome regardless xx

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I know how you feel, I had the hospy pull afew nasties on me in the lead up to my VBAC. I too was measuring big for my dates (fundal height) and they wanted me to go for a sizing scan, but I refused. Well not so much refused but I said to the OB that she can send me for one if she wants but it won't change my mind about my VBAC and she gave up trying...

If I were you, I would not go for the next scan, its just more ammo for them to scare you. I would also demand that the doctor just let you sign the forms without any further stuffing around.

I recieved some very good advice during my pregnancy from my doula. That advice was to pick my battles... No matter what happens to the lead up to labor, there is no point fighting the hospital until the day comes that I was in labor. You can argue till you are blue in the face in preparation but it really wont have that much of an impact on the day. Simply try and avoid all their scare tactics in the lead up and on the day stay confident and stand by what you want

Also wanted to add that the hospital tried everything when I arrived in labor. I refused CFM, internals etc and had it not been for my doula I would have been violated by them. Even with her in the room they tried to give me an internal against my wishes and had she not heard their plan and stood up to them, they just would have done what they wanted (I was on all 4's on the shower floor and oblivious to what was happening around me as I was completely focussed on birthing my bub)... I was also told my pelvis was obviously inadequate as DS was biggish... That scared my but my supportive doula and hubby helped me through it... In the end I had a wonderful VBAC completely naturally and birthed DD who was 9lb 8.5oz into my arms on the shower floor...
    Last edited by Theophania; 07-09-2012 at 18:04.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (27-09-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (23-10-2012),VicPark  (21-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a successful VBAC 10 weeks ago and had a similar experience to you. All through my midwife visits I was supported, but come to the 3rd trimester OB visits and I felt very conflicted and stressed. They were concerned about bubs growth with me as well, and I can tell you, they had nothing to be concerned about. I was measuring big for dates and he came out a very healthy 3.3kg, so very average in size and not big at all. Those scans are in no way accurate.

By the time I hit 40 weeks I was exhausted by the whole thing, but I just had to keep reminding myself why I wanted a VBAC in the first place and that my body could do it and my baby was fine. There were so many 'ifs', but not alot of 'definites' if you know what I mean. 'The baby might be big', 'you got to 9cm in your first labour, so you might only get to that point again and have another C/S', etc etc etc. One OB I saw basically said he wanted to book me in for a C/S at 39 weeks, just by looking at a growth scan that was done a month earlier that estimated my DS would be over 4kg.

My DH was a real support and when I waivered - which I did several times - he helped bring me back to what I wanted. I also had fantastic midwives who basically told me not to the listen to the OBs. So in the end I just kept pushing my VBAC. They can't force it on you, so don't let them if this is what you really want. Are you seeing midwives in a VBAC clinic or Obs?

I feel for you, I really do. It is such a stressful thing to go through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

was told by an ob that 1 in 200 chance my uterus will tear open, baby will spill into my abdominal cavity and suffocate. That's why I needed to go to hospital AS SOON AS I was in labour for continual fetal monitoring and I'd need a cannula and I'd be on the clock as far as dilating fast enough etc.

Which is untrue 1 in 200 vbacs do have a uterine rupture but rarely is it that extreme.

To avoid being bullied into a csection I didn't arrive at hospital until my contractions were 2-3 minutes apart. I had a really long labour so had I turned up at hospital sooner I'd have been "on the clock" too long.

I also asked a lot of questions. I saw different mws at the hospital each appointment and I asked the same questions about when should I come into hospital, will I need cfm, will I need a cannula, will I be allowed to have a shower, how long will I be allowed to labour, then going over due started asking what's their policy etc.

Never to gain their permission, though I never argued just smiled and need. But just so I knew the range of answers and policies I'd be against.

End of the day it's your body, your baby, your choice. They are there in case you need them but they cant tell you how to birth your baby.

Also ultrasounds are just an educated guess. Not a guarantee. And it would be a pretty poor design if we grew babies too big for our bodies to birth.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub