+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Does gluten free preschooler = high gi diet?

Nah Sassy, it's not a once off, she's dairy allergic, tho that's the first time she has *ever* had cheese, plus a rare taste of nuts.
    You've done so well too, I saw your before & after pics the I is obviously working for you. It's a challenge living with a restricted diet for whatever reason

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry its taken me so long to get back to this thread, its been a busy weekend

OLB I have never heard of coconut yogurt, is that the COYO? I just looked it up and its sold in a speciality store near us, I might get some today!

I will try her on some of that Low Gi bread, i got a loaf on the weekend and it was quite nice, I'm wary tho cos she has reacted to psyllium before, not sure if it was just too hard on her gut or she is intolerant (is there a difference?!) She also didn't tolerate chia or sesame, so hommus is out I'm also not sure I trust her with nuts but can't be sure. She will taste them but then say they make her throat scratchy so I am wary (and DH has a nut allergy so that makes it more likely she has it)

She's just so fussy, I dunno if what we eat will be much help to you but here goes. Breakfast is cornflakes and soy milk, or a homemade banana bread (only bananas, white wings gf flour & sugar). Very high gi.

Lunch is banana pancakes (again made with white wings) and an egg white (won't eat yolk), or white rice and tuna with brown sauce (bleurgh!) or sushi. Lately we have been trialing a wholemeal spelt bread and may be able to have that once a week

Dinner is easy, meat and veg/fish/rice/noodles. Snacks - bananas, soy life vanilla yoghurt, popcorn or puffed corn, plain chips, dairy free chocolate, homemade bickies/cake. Occsionally she will have crackers/rice cakes but we are so limited with what we can put on them, they aren't very tasty. Oh and aribars, how could i forget aribars, bless their little hearts

Fruit she will eat strawberries, watermelon and bananas.

That's it, I dunno if any of that is any use to you lol, its very limited.

you can see how incredibly high gi 90% of her meals are, and I am stumped how I am gonna feed her when she starts prep next year.

Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    It can do. IMO a lot of the processed 'gluten free' foods are quite junky.

We have started giving our two a grain free breakfast a 3 - 4 times a week (omlete with vegies, homemade hash browns with eggs and spinach, coconut yoghurt and fruit etc) and it seems to set them off on such good footing for the day.

As far as snacks go, how about nuts, fruit, vegie sticks and hummus?

The good fats idea is a great one too. Healthy fats are so important for saiety and for health in general.

At lunch we alternate between leftovers, soup, rice cakes with spread & sandwiches. The best store bought bread I have found is the 'Country Life Low GI' bread, it has almond meal as one of the first ingredients.

I hope that gives you some ideas, it's always tricky trying to think of new things when you have dietry restrictions. Speaking of which, I would love to hear what you are doing and pinch some ideas from you?! lol
    Last edited by Gothel; 10-09-2012 at 07:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    Yes, we healed DDs gut with a combination of probiotics and fish oils.
    Can you give me any more detail on this? Over how long did you give her the P&FO? What brands, how much, and how long before you saw an improvement? Does she still take them?

Thank you so much everyone, i have some ideas for more things to try (coconut yogurt, hash browns, avocado/guacamole, brown rice, quinoa and substituting cornstarch in her GF flour. Oh and I'm going to look for an organic butcher and see if I can find some sausages etc. I will come back and update when we have any progress

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Gothel,

Sorry I didn't come back with that info like I said I would, it's been a crazy weekend here.

I'll send you a PM after get back from taking DD1 to Kinder.

xx

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Does gluten free preschooler = high gi diet?

I'm GF and I eat sakatas as they are gluten free kids might like the taste because you can get BBQ, and other flavours etc! Little packets like chips for school

I recently found a low gi bread too country life, wraps are great! I'm not sure if you know if your gluten intolerant your at high risk to being lactose too I haven't read the whole thing sorry!! Lots of clean eating, fruits, veggie sticks, cheese sticks & hommus maybe he/she would like cottage cheese?

Nuts might be hard depending on school policy. I've found lots of great recipes online and I cook in bulk on weekends

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Does gluten free preschooler = high gi diet?

I get my fish oil and pro biotics for DS from my naturopath and he has been having both once a day since I stopped breastfeeding at 3 months ( brand is metagenics but are practitioner only)

Just watch the Sakatas most have MSG plus other yukky preservatives !

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Does gluten free preschooler = high gi diet?

Thanks monnie but we're additive free so the sakatas are no-go, they drive her wild And she is dairy allergic to lol. But thanks so much for taking the time to help

**Nothing spells as goof as typo splats**
    Last edited by Gothel; 10-09-2012 at 12:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    Hi Gothel,

Sorry I didn't come back with that info like I said I would, it's been a crazy weekend here.

I'll send you a PM after get back from taking DD1 to Kinder.

xx
    Sent

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How old is she? They have roasted fava beans in the health food section in woolies now, no additives except salt. They fill me up much better than most GF snacks - and also the dry roasted chickpeas in the same brand. Home made hummus is a must here. And rice wheels, less nasties than most of the snack foods but it still has some. My kids loved those crunchy dried banana chips that you can get. We also have the dried apricots with no sulphites - my kids love them. Obviously just for a little treat.
    To be honest I struggle with the lunch box thing as well - my two gf kids are so fussy and one is also Lactose Intolerant and has sensory processing disorders so he won't eat any food with colour anyway, he basically lives on rice cakes and crackers. Argh.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh and I had a thought the other day about Dolmades - because you can make your own without preservatives or additives and they are handy finger foods.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (10-09-2012)