+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Does gluten free preschooler = high gi diet?

I'm struggling a bit with dd1's staple carbs, she won't eat brown rice, and everything else that is gluten free seems to be so highly refined/high gi. I'm concerned cos she often crashes badly when hungry, and i think it's because most of her staples are high gi. She eats plenty of fresh fruit & veg. I push the protein as much as I can but she has a meltdown every day sometimes 2 or 3 times a day, just cos she's hungry.

Does anyone else with a gluten free kids have this issue? We're also dairy and additive free btw

**Nothing spells as goof as typo splats**

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Have you thought about bolstering with some fats? Fat tends to have a filling effects and slows things down. Eggs, nuts and avocado are good examples. We also add natural peanut butter to GF bread or use full fat nuttelex on bread or in mashed veggies with a dash of full fat Zymil. (Perhaps almond milk if you're dairy free entirely)?

It's a little bit easier for us because DS loves salmon & tuna too so we get in olive oil. (just need to watch salt content).

We find that organic butchers do some clean GF bangers and mince which are easy to make into bulk GF pasta for freezing (more meat than pasta TBH) or little burger patties. :-)

We are in recovery from an elimination diet so had a dietician come out to help us. Our objective essentially is to pair carbs with protein and/or fat and limit sugar. Has made a huge difference to his overall mood and stability.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Does gluten free preschooler = high gi diet?

Quote Originally Posted by Nettle View Post
    Have you thought about bolstering with some fats? Fat tends to have a filling effects and slows things down. Eggs, nuts and avocado are good examples. We also add natural peanut butter to GF bread or use full fat nuttelex on bread or in mashed veggies with a dash of full fat Zymil. (Perhaps almond milk if you're dairy free entirely)?

It's a little bit easier for us because DS loves salmon & tuna too so we get in olive oil. (just need to watch salt content).

We find that organic butchers do some clean GF bangers and mince which are easy to make into bulk GF pasta for freezing (more meat than pasta TBH) or little burger patties. :-)

We are in recovery from an elimination diet so had a dietician come out to help us. Our objective essentially is to pair carbs with protein and/or fat and limit sugar. Has made a huge difference to his overall mood and stability.
    That sounds like fantastic advice Nettle thank you so much! I mixed a spoon of olive oil into her dinner tonight and I'll look for nuts tomorrow. She doesn't like cashews but I might try her on macadamias, they are mild and tasty. Avocados & fish are a bit hit & miss but I'll keep pushing them I think, I might try mackerel & sardines too. And look for some quality sausages, & make some Patties, they could be good for school lunches!
    Oh thanks so much, you have given me lots of ideas to work with, I think those few changes alone will make a big difference I'll let you know how I go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It can do. IMO a lot of the processed 'gluten free' foods are quite junky.

We have started giving our two a grain free breakfast a 3 - 4 times a week (omlete with vegies, homemade hash browns with eggs and spinach, coconut yoghurt and fruit etc) and it seems to set them off on such good footing for the day.

As far as snacks go, how about nuts, fruit, vegie sticks and hummus?

The good fats idea is a great one too. Healthy fats are so important for saiety and for health in general.

At lunch we alternate between leftovers, soup, rice cakes with spread & sandwiches. The best store bought bread I have found is the 'Country Life Low GI' bread, it has almond meal as one of the first ingredients.

I hope that gives you some ideas, it's always tricky trying to think of new things when you have dietry restrictions. Speaking of which, I would love to hear what you are doing and pinch some ideas from you?! lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

jake's mum  (29-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Btw if anyone else has any other suggestions, fire away, they will be most welcome

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've read a lot of interesting info in relation to healing from gluten intolerance and most seem to warn not to go 'gluten free' when you go gluten free. By that they mean, don't replace processed low GI gluten food, with processed low GI non-gluten food.

Does your DD take any probiotics? They work wonders IMHO.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (10-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes, we healed DDs gut with a combination of probiotics and fish oils.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Has she tried quinoa? Tastes better than brown rice!
    What about rice cakes with macadamia or almond butter as snacks and as pp said dips ( tzatiki, hummus, baba Ganoush, beetroot) with capsicum/carrot/celery sticks ? Guacamole and rice crackers?

Thanks
    Reviews

Omg I love you ladies! I wish I had asked this question a long time ago!

BBL when the kids are in bed and I can reply with attention

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh and Our Little Blessing would you have time to post some links to reading on"healing from gluten intolerance"?