+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: When you get kicked out of a rental..

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    We still give written references? Have you defaulted or done anything during the tenancy that would warrant them writing a bad reference? Have they got other rentals they could transfer you to?
    No i've done nothing. Rent has always been paid 2 weeks in advance and there have been no problems during property inspections. The only thing they would have against me is the fact that i stood up for myself by asking for a written agreement when it came to sales inspections as the sales agent was chopping and changing times and showing up whenever he felt like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    What I would do is see if the real estate will tell the new owners of your circumstances, or get them to call you to see if you can get an extension. If they are flexible, they may work with you and give you some extra time?

You don't know the new owner's circumstances either, they could be moving from a rental or have already organised their move and if you just stay on, you could be putting someone else in the same situation that you are in.
    The new owner is all of maybe 20? Her parents are buying her the place and renovating it before she moves in. So she doesn't face the same desperation and risk of homelessness that we do.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    That sounds incredibly stressful. I hope you find something soon.
    Thank you. I'm just applying for as many places as possible atm and hoping for the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Good luck OP, I hope you secure something soon. Are you in Melbourne? I'm trying to get a rental right now, its very competitive here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Good luck OP, I hope you secure something soon. Are you in Melbourne? I'm trying to get a rental right now, its very competitive here.
    No i'm not in Melbourne. I think its tough everywhere these days unfortunately.
    I hope you get somewhere too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post

The new owner is all of maybe 20? Her parents are buying her the place and renovating it before she moves in. So she doesn't face the same desperation and risk of homelessness that we do.

If you are at risk of being homeless, offer to give them access to do the renovations while you are looking for a place. It will buy you time and give them what they want too. Sure, you'll be living in a mess but that must be better than being homeless.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cdro For This Useful Post:

Eko  (08-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdro View Post
    If you are at risk of being homeless, offer to give them access to do the renovations while you are looking for a place. It will buy you time and give them what they want too. Sure, you'll be living in a mess but that must be better than being homeless.
    That is a brilliant idea!

Good luck OP, I can't imagine how stressful this must be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thats a great idea. or you could just tell them of your situation, if they aren't in a rush to move in, they might be sympathetic and give you a month or so?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'd really try this.

If all else fails you can go to the department of housing and they can give you emergency housing in a hotel/motel week to week for free while you search like mad for a rental. The boys and I had to do this a year ago, was the worst feeling but at least we had a roof of some sort. I do remember though that you have to be without somewhere to go the day you go in. If it looks like it will come down to that maybe put all your stuff into storage (like I had to) clear out and go see DOH the day you've got no lease left.

There are also women's refuges, other community based housing option in most areas. Even if you ring around these places they could point you in a good direction of someone/somewhere that can help find you housing in your price range.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default When you get kicked out of a rental..

Don't let them in to do renovations while you are living there! It will be a legal nightmare!
    If they are just renovating try writing a letter asking for a few more weeks and you will pay the rent to them and allow access while your there to get quotes/measure up etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    If all else fails you can go to the department of housing and they can give you emergency housing in a hotel/motel week to week for free while you search like mad for a rental. The boys and I had to do this a year ago, was the worst feeling but at least we had a roof of some sort. I do remember though that you have to be without somewhere to go the day you go in. If it looks like it will come down to that maybe put all your stuff into storage (like I had to) clear out and go see DOH the day you've got no lease left.

There are also women's refuges, other community based housing option in most areas. Even if you ring around these places they could point you in a good direction of someone/somewhere that can help find you housing in your price range.
    Was it much trouble for you to get help from DOH? I spent 6 months homeless when i first left my ex and DOH, community rent schemes, SAAP accommodation providers and emergency housing providers wouldn't offer any assistance apart from putting me on the waitlist.
    I tried applying for DOH here a while ago but they rejected my application. Might give it another go for what it's worth.