+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default When you get kicked out of a rental..

What happens if you haven't left the property by the date you have been given?
    Does it go through court and then the police remove you?
    What sort of time frame would that take?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was in a similar situation a few years ago - I hadn't been able to find a place by the time my lease was up and landlord wanted to move in. I spoke to real estate and she told me as long as I continued to pay my rent to stay, yes they would go through the process of evicting me but would take 4-6 weeks minimum to get a court date etc. Highly unlikely that the policewould get involved within this time frame. I'm in tassie and this is just my experience.

Why are you leaving???? Perhaps a chat to your property manager or landlord might be a good place to start.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    The property was sold and the new owner is moving in. I don't have long to find something, there is hardly anything close to my price range available and i've never had much luck getting approved for anything rental wise in the past so i'm very worried.
    The real estate also promised references and help if it ever came to this and now they've told me they just don't give out references. So that's really helpful of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    you can apply for an extention through the tribunal too....
    How does that work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Are you still under a lease agreement? Even if they sell the house my understanding is if it's during a signed lease period (so not if you've rolled over month to month) then they can't ask you to leave until the end of your fixed term agreement. I don't suppose that helps me.

We had to evict a tenant from our house (bad bad story) and we did get the police involved through VCAT as we had to apply for possession back of our house and the whole process did take about 4 weeks I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Are you still under a lease agreement? Even if they sell the house my understanding is if it's during a signed lease period (so not if you've rolled over month to month) then they can't ask you to leave until the end of your fixed term agreement. I don't suppose that helps me.
    The lease is up in a month so that doesn't help me at all.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: When you get kicked out of a rental..

the process depends on which state you live in, but at the end of the day the owner can apply to court for an eviction order and if you do not comply a bailiff will evict you.

I would not recommend staying if the owner has not agreed to give you extra time as this will probably result in your name being listed on a tenancy database,and it will be near on impossible then to find another rental.

talk to the property manager or owner re an extension of time.Also make sure all notice periods have been followed

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MsTruth View Post
    the process depends on which state you live in, but at the end of the day the owner can apply to court for an eviction order and if you do not comply a bailiff will evict you.

I would not recommend staying if the owner has not agreed to give you extra time as this will probably result in your name being listed on a tenancy database,and it will be near on impossible then to find another rental.

talk to the property manager or owner re an extension of time.Also make sure all notice periods have been followed

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    I agree

Strongly suggest not letting it get to that stage as you will mark your name very badly

Try talking to them again & explain you have no where to go and can they help you at all
    Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

But what's the other option? Living in my car because no one will rent to me? If i can stretch out my stay it gives me longer to look for and apply for places and hopefully get approved for something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

The problem is the new owners not the current landlord, if they don't need to move in straight away you might get an extension but if they have no where to go ( if they have given notice on their rental or sold their house ) you will not get an extension , ask the agent and see if they can help you

The biggest problem for your landlord
    if you don't move is the new buyers won't pay the balance of the money until you are out which could then cost both parties thousands in interest and legal fees , we have had emergency tribunal hearings to evict tenants and we got an order in 7 days, if you are not out by then a sheriff can legally come in , change the locks and remove you

you never want to ever let it get that far as you will never be given a good reference and you will be registered on the tenant database , it sucks but just try and keep looking and work with the agent, its in their best interest to help you