+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Best first time baby food

Just don't give them bananas! Learned that the hard way! I'm just getting over some baby constipation issues... Will be mixing prunes to EVERYTHING, I'd say pear she liked that and apple, haven't tried veg yet but I've read peas zucchinis and pumpkin as well as sweet potato are all good, oh someone suggested kiwis which will make for interesting poop :-)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (08-09-2012)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My kids have had roasted pumpkin and sweet potato. One of them had soft serve, but that is because she got her lips around it while I was looking the other way lol.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (08-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I did use some brown rice cereal initially but only a couple of times. Otherwise she had pumpkin, puréed pear, grilled eggplant, avocado, zucchini, carrot, soft pasta - all kinds of things really! I tried to focus on veggies first as I really want veggies to be a big part of her diet. She loves them now.

BLW was a bit tricky for us as she has food intolerances and also was a 'failure to thrive baby' so she didn't really have any kind of good sustained weight gains until she was eating solids. I mixed purées/mash with finger foods so she could get food in her belly and also practice eating (had a really sensitive gag reflex until around 9 months which would often result in a massive spew - not good when we're trying to get food into her!).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (08-09-2012)

strawberry swing is offline not so patiently waiting for the 1st of july!
    Thanks
    Reviews

subbing

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks guys

Can someone please tell me more about Baby Led Weaning? What do you do?

It's coming back to me now, I first tried DS on some cereal when he was a baby (he's 12 now, hence why I need a refresh!) but I recall him hating it. I then moved onto all the different fruits/vegies.. would puree them all up etc, but I remember that for the most part he ate ready made baby food as he grew. To this day he HATES vegies, will only eat baby carrot (it's sweeter) and virtually no fruit besides apple and sultanas. He refuses salads as well. Not good. I am determined to get this baby eating everything I eat, there is NO WAY she's going to be another fussy eater, it's so hard; I've battled with DS his entire life to get him eating right. He is one of those "texture" haters (like his dad) and anything "chunky" or whatever he dislikes. As I said he is 12 and I still hide stuff in his food!

Good to know about the white rice cereal as well, will be using the whole grain variety if I choose to use it at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

BLW is pretty much skipping the purees , waiting until baby is ready , approx 6 months ( sits unaided, lost tongue reflex and can pick up things) and letting them feed themselves!

No purees, no blending ,no ice cube trays no working out menus just feed them what you eat!

People think its a new concept but it's actually what most of the world did ( and still do in other countries) before farex and blenders were invented!

If you have salmon and salad for dinner for example - give your baby fish and salad ! flake the fish , cut cherry tomatoes up, cut cucumber in long sticks, cut olives up, cut feta into cubes, dress with lemon and olive oil and place it on his high hair tray and let him go for his life!

Thanks
    Reviews
    First food was a tsp of rice cereal mixed with breastmilk. He tried this for a few days then went on to fruit and veg. I just steamed vegies or stewed fruit, pureed/mashed and then froze. I have a few baby food books so DS was tried on a large variety of tastes and texturess from a young age. I am really not a fan of packaged baby food, it is so quick and easy to make baby food that I don't see the point, and meat from a shelf is too creepy for words!

Thanks
    Reviews

Rice cereal, consistency like milk and only expect a few teaspoons to be taken the first time
    Slowly increase quantity and thickness

Thanks
    Reviews

U shld do steam and puréed fruit next, just one fruit at a time for a few days then move onto the next.
    If u intend on cooking bubs food then annabel karmels books r amazing

Thanks
    Reviews

I haven't read any of the replies because I'm lazy but the very first food I gave DD was puréed pumpkin (roasted in the oven and then puréed in the blender). I then gave her hommus as I read that this was a great first food in some other countries. After a little while I did baby led weaning but didn't know it had a name or was the new thing to do. I gave her banana, avocado, strawberry, tomatoes, toast etc. She preferred to eat things herself. At this point she didn't really ingest much but she had fun sucking on the food and playing with it. I was told by 2 paediatrician friends to give her everything so I did