+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default "Reforms to increase immunisation" remove incentive. Sorry, what?

It's still attached to child care benefit. Most people use child care at sometime so anyone wanting a co formed sign would have to see a doctor for this reason anyway. I think the Mia was silly personally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Or are you cracking the sads that youve lost your MIA payment?
    No, as I said in the start of the thread, it doesn't make a difference to us. I support immunisation 100%, always have, always will. I would immunise regardless of payment to us, or even whether there was a cost to us (I am contemplating a booster of varicella vaccine for DD1 at the moment actually, given new evidence that it provides better long term protection, and this would be at our cost; I have had DD1 immunised against influenza as well though that was funded at least this year).

The Centrelink letter was very brief and did not provide any further information except that we won't get MIA for DD2. Their assertion that their "reforms" would improve immunisation rates therefore seemed to have no basis because key information was missing. I wasn't aware of the additional linked payment to FTB because we don't receive it so your clarification was quite useful, thanks.

I flicked off the email to Centrelink because I genuinely wanted to understand how they are operating to improve immunisation rates - for personal and professional interest. Should have come to bubhub first!

And I got to wondering whether incentive payments actually make a difference to people's actions with respect to immunisation anyway, since they don't really to us. I don't have a problem with payments going to those who really need it - middle class welfare and all that. CPPL on the other hand - glad they haven't axed that (but that's another thread!).

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Payments make no difference to me (were non vaxxers) still wouldn't do it if it meant I didn't get any $.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Payments make no difference to me (were non vaxxers) still wouldn't do it if it meant I didn't get any $.
    This is what I think would be the attitude of most non vaxxers. I don't think anyone bases their decision on the money IYKWIM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes on reflection I think that "incentive" payments probably only influence a small number of people who don't have strong views either way - and as a PP said, perhaps "encourage" people to get it done on time. My experience of BH is that there aren't too many fence sitters around here!!

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't think the money makes a difference either way for the truly committed.
    I do think that any child who is not fully immunized should be excluded from school/daycare etc in the event of an outbreak until it is over. For some people that would be a greater incentive :-) and safer for everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

The government is short on funds and have better things to spend money on, other than bribing parents to do what's best for their kids.

Parents should take responsibility for their kids and not expect the government to hold their hands the whole way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zabella View Post
    I don't think the money makes a difference either way for the truly committed.
    I do think that any child who is not fully immunized should be excluded from school/daycare etc in the event of an outbreak until it is over. For some people that would be a greater incentive :-) and safer for everyone.
    They are excluded for 5 days I think - or my nephew was 3 years ago with a kid in his class got whopping cough - 3 kids that were not immunised were sent home for 5 days

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually, losing the MIA *has* influenced me: not to avoid vaccinating, since I will not do that anyway.
    But I'm less likely to stick strictly to the schedule now- not if it's inappropriate/inconvenient for me or my family.
    Just telling it like it is.
    Last edited by really old; 08-11-2012 at 19:53. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Reviews

It is good to hear there is some exclusion in place but 5 days is a bit short. The incubation period for Whooping Cough is 6 to 20 days. Children would need to be excluded for 3 weeks after the last known case to be sure they weren't incubating the disease!
    Last edited by Zabella; 08-11-2012 at 20:27.