+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! 7 month old waking every 1-2 hours at night

Hi, wondering if any of you have any advice for my situation.

My baby boy is almost 7 months and had been a wonderful sleeper, waking only once for an overnight feed from around 4 months. However about 6 weeks ago he had a bad cold and was really constipated so we had a few horrible nights but at least we knew what the problem was. His cold cleared up and we finally have the constipation under control, but now he has started waking ever hour or two between bed time at 7:30pm and getting up for the day at around 7:30am.

He self settles to sleep and has a couple of days sleeps for around an hour and a half each so I know he can get himself to sleep. When he wakes overnight I usually feed him (he is breastfed) until he is sleepy and then put him back to bed. If my husband settles him by giving him a cuddle and checking his nappy he usually only goes back to sleep for 20 minutes and again I am up and putting him on the boob!

I am sure he is not too hot or too cold, and I don't think he is sick, so why he is waking all the time??? I am thinking he could be hungry because he is certainly happy to feed and guzzles away as if he is hungry, so maybe its an issue with my supply? He has four breastfeeds a day plus 3 solid feeds. I have even tried him with a bottle (tried expressed milk and formula) but he is not interested, clamps his mouth shut and won't even try it. The most I have gotten him to take is 20mls and that was after about 10 minutes of dripping it in there when he'd open his mouth for me.

I am so tired and there is no chance for naps during the day as I have a 3 and 5 year old too and I feel like all they are getting from me is grupmy mummy!

Has anyone else had this experience with their baby, and if so what has worked for you? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Help! 7 month old waking every 1-2 hours at night

Subscribing. Having same issue with my 6month old. I doubt it is a supply issue as I have so much milk but she still wants to feed all night, im thinking it could be a separation thing but I cant co-sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews

Is he pulling at his ears? I would say teething or maybe ear infection. My dd just recovered from her first ear infection she's 8 1/2mo and had a bad cold just before it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Help! 7 month old waking every 1-2 hours at night

My ds was older (18 months) when he was waking hourly (at 7 months he was still nursing every 3 hours).

I eventually night weened him, it is hard at that age though as they cant be reasoned with.

Will bubs take a sippy cup? Its getting warm so he might be thirsty? (My ds still wakes 2-3 times a night to drink a full sippy of water)

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    Subscribing. Having same issue with my 6month old. I doubt it is a supply issue as I have so much milk but she still wants to feed all night, im thinking it could be a separation thing but I cant co-sleep.
    Maybe it is as he does seem to be happy once we pick him up and cuddle him. Its just strange that he seems so tired but then wakes again so soon afte resettling. Thanks for your input.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He has been pulling at his ears a bit but has no temp. or other signs that I would expect with an ear infection, although it may be possible. It could be teething as he is always chomping on his fingers, but he's been doing this for a few weeks and no tooth has popped through yet. You would think this being my 3rd I'd have some clue! Perhaps I should just take him for a check up to make sure its nothing medical. Thanks for your input.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He will have a small sip here and there but is really fussy with anything in his mouth unless its my breast! I could try that though as I haven't offered water to him during the night so its worth a go. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by stella marie View Post
    He has been pulling at his ears a bit but has no temp. or other signs that I would expect with an ear infection, although it may be possible. It could be teething as he is always chomping on his fingers, but he's been doing this for a few weeks and no tooth has popped through yet. You would think this being my 3rd I'd have some clue! Perhaps I should just take him for a check up to make sure its nothing medical. Thanks for your input.
    With my dd's ear infection it took 2 1/2 weeks before she had a temp with it. It started with a viral rash on her chest and tummy. The dr said then that one ear was very slight pink. Then 2 1/2 weeks later full on bilateral ear infections. So something could be brewing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    is he fed to a schedule? 4 feeds a dsy doesn't seem much unless you have a massive supply. How does he sleep after a feed? Have you tried adding a dream feed when you go to bed

In a galaxy far far away....
    No, not really to a schedule, just when he's hungry. It usually works out as a feed at 7:30m, 11.30, 3:30 and again at 7:30pm - so 4 in 12 hours, this doesn't include overnight. He wakes around 10:00pm for another feed and then every hour or two after that until morning and I usually end up feeding him back to sleep. He sleeps great during the day, goes straight to sleep himself for a couple of sleeps of around 1 1/2 hours each.