+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh you poor thing. I am not an animal lover (dont flame me, I neither love nor hate animals) and even I can understand how hard this must be for you. I hope you find a solution that sees your DS's eczema get better and your lovely dog getting a few more years older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    don't put your dog down, especially if you are not 100% certain (ie. with medical proof) that it is causing the eczema.
    like a pp said, it could be the shampoo, the dog's diet and not the dog itself, let alone a lot of other coincidental things.
    if you do decide to get rid of the dog contact www.petrescue.com.au or s.a.f.e.
    i would be trying every remedy in my power before i even considered giving up a pet, let alone a dog that has lived it's entire life with me

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Please help with my dilemma

So i am still awake at 2am, been thinking non stop about this all day and night.

I completely understand why people say to give him up for adoption, if he was younger and in better health then id would consider it. however i keep coming back to his health.

Bit more detail about the dog
    - his 9yrs (will be 10 in feb)
    - has food allergies himself and is on a special diet (aka expensive)
    - his on meds for his arthritis
    - has chronic ear infections that need to be carefully managed as he has grass allergy cant avoid them occurring
    - he is now sometimes incontinent
    - he has a cancerous growth on his leg that keeps growing back (it cost about $1k to get removed, we have already done it twice and will have to look at getting it done again within next 6months)

To those who say adopt him out, hypothetically would you adopt him knowing his medical problems?

I keep wondering if he doesn't get adopted, what happens? Would he be left sitting alone in a kennel with no attention at all? Is that any quality of life for an old dog? Would he end up getting put down anyway?

I have had dogs all my life and had never considered i'd be faced with this kind of predicament.

This really sucks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Please help with my dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by baby4us View Post
    So i am still awake at 2am, been thinking non stop about this all day and night.

I completely understand why people say to give him up for adoption, if he was younger and in better health then id would consider it. however i keep coming back to his health.

Bit more detail about the dog
    - his 9yrs (will be 10 in feb)
    - has food allergies himself and is on a special diet (aka expensive)
    - his on meds for his arthritis
    - has chronic ear infections that need to be carefully managed as he has grass allergy cant avoid them occurring
    - he is now sometimes incontinent
    - he has a cancerous growth on his leg that keeps growing back (it cost about $1k to get removed, we have already done it twice and will have to look at getting it done again within next 6months)

To those who say adopt him out, hypothetically would you adopt him knowing his medical problems?

I keep wondering if he doesn't get adopted, what happens? Would he be left sitting alone in a kennel with no attention at all? Is that any quality of life for an old dog? Would he end up getting put down anyway?

I have had dogs all my life and had never considered i'd be faced with this kind of predicament.

This really sucks
    See babynomads post. I would do as others said and get it 100% confirmed that it IS the dog and if so, the agency she recommends is who I would contact. They are very dedicated and he would be given attention and care.
    I'm sorry, it's a tough spot you're in.
    I could not kill a pet because of an allergy though, IMO it's not right. It's not the dogs fault. Pets re a lifetime commitment. With the exception of the grass allergy, all those things could be applied to my Nan. I feel pets are family members too. This is JMO.

If a friend or family member could adopt him maybe you old help out financially?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Re: Please help with my dilemma

I don't think it's a suggestion of putting the dog down because of the allergies. I'm reading it to be the questioning if this is the final indicator to the already existent question of is my loved pet going to have any quality of life anymore.

When your dogs body is no longer fighting for itself, and they have lives a full and living life there is a certain comfort in knowing it's last days are surrounded in love rather than alone in a holding pen or cage

Forgive any weird substitutions... Silly phone, but I still love it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (08-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was the same as you, up all night feeling sick about it all. It's horrible but you know you said it before , you love your child more..... That's natural , that's how I came to the decision, I'd been through it a few times saying ' I'll give it six more months' but in the end it's about your child. In my case the avoidance of the dog Biteing all the time and her happiness as life had become horrible for her. Your son is suffering and if it is the dog and you have to corner him off and change his life at home to one of segregation he could be very sad and lonely also.
    I know you love him and I totally understand he is like a child, yes he has many issues but that agency would find him help. He could end up in a wonderful situation and you could offer a lifetimes financial help towards his medication if you felt better. you need to find out if it's definate , you mentioned the dander. I wagered that's more about the skin than the fur so grooming would possibly not be much help . I'm all for keeping pets , gosh I miss my dog so much but I felt so relieved my son was safe - I stopped feeling so guilty and stressed I was sad and miss the life a dog gives you but if I stopped thinking of myself and thought of my very much loved dog and very much loved son I realised they were much happier and better off apart from each other. It's so tough , so full of guilt but your son is uncomfortable and if you can help stop that isn't that the best outcome especially if your dog does get the wonderful home he deserves, good luck. Call the agency even if only for advice. The guy is lovely and made me feel guilt free and talked for ages.