+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Please help with my dilemma

Hi OP, my DS also suffers from terrible eczema. If we found out our cats were causing it we would NOT get them put down - sorry but it's an animal's life - yes, I know eczema is awful but I don't think it warrants killing your dog to cure it!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (08-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tutu & Lulu View Post
    If that was my I couldn't get rid of my dog. I just couldn't my dog is exactly the same as my children and I honestly couldn't do it. I would keep them seperated as much as possible but i couldn't put my dog down. sorry i know that your children come first of course they do but it's your dogs life it's not its fault that your child is allergic to it. if my kids were allergic to their dad i couldn't just put him down. I am probably going to get slammed for this post but i don't care i honestly love my dog just like i love my kids
    Thats cool hun, completely understand where you're coming from. This is heart wrenching

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by baby4us View Post
    Thats cool hun, completely understand where you're coming from. This is heart wrenching
    I know I can understand I would absolutely HATE to be in your position but you have to do what you feel is right for your family i just couldn't do it. would it help to have a little seperate yard for them both and wash the dog very regularly. what sort of dog is it?? could you strip the coat or shave it so that there isn't as much of the allergen? i'm not sure how it works

Thanks
    Reviews

Have you tried natural remedies at all? We don't have any eczema here but my ex-SIL's daughter suffers from it quite badly and she's had huge success with various natural formulations. Might work well enough so you don't have to worry about the dog

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Aroha0509 View Post
    Have you tried natural remedies at all? We don't have any eczema here but my ex-SIL's daughter suffers from it quite badly and she's had huge success with various natural formulations. Might work well enough so you don't have to worry about the dog
    Ohh that is a great suggestion I didn't even think of it DD1 has eczema but i don't know what her triggers are but i found this natural cream call 'Hope's Relief' Premium eczema cream its about $24 for a tube but it clears up her's (and mine) horribly bad eczema within a few days

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh how hard!!

I have a son who suffers from eczema too - loads of environmental conditions set him off on a flare.
    We use wet wraps to settle his skin often in summer I just can't stop him from having fun playing in the dirt/grass etc. They help a great deal with night time itches.

Personally I would be asking a huge favour from someone you know (or even putting the dog in a boarding kennel) for about a month to seriously clean up the house and see if your little one still flares in that time or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    If I had to restrict my old dog to a certain area of the house that I kept my child away from I would. I wouldn't put my dog down prematurely as it's just not part of my believes in regards to good pet ownership.

I would also get your son tested. It may not be the dog itself, but something else on the dog (such as dust in its fur, a certain shampoo/flea-treatment, etc etc).

Alternatively, I'd make the dog an outside dog. It would suck for the poor thing, but I'd make sure it had plenty of wonderful things out there to entertain it, a really nice comfy kennel in the shade, and go out and play with it regularly (or just pet it... since it's old and may not really be into playing anymore).

This must be an awful feeling, but there is no way I could ever take your husband's position on this and not feel like the scum of the earth for it. It would not be something I could do.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (08-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    First of all dont feel bad about this , its just a unfortunate situation. I found myself in a simular one last year. My beautiful dog and my son just got into a terrible mess, my son turned 2.5 and he is autistic and just started to abuse the dog no matter what i said, he was at her 24/7 hitting , biting her , pulling her tail. She went from a great dog to a dog that was on edge and she bit him several times.

I felt so stressed but in the end i could not risk my son having a bad bite that caused him disfigurement so I found this agency in sydney that you pay to take your dog and retrain and they promise to find a home for them no matter how long it takes and they let you know where the doggie goes. It cost $650. www.animaladoption.com.au they are called the animal adoption agency and they were so so nice. Our dog ended up in a better situation with another beagle in a home with no kids and felt like I had done the best thing all round. Its so horrible though.

If you live anywhere near sydney I would think about it , its not a pound and they are passionate about what they do.

Thanks
    Reviews

So so hard. Haven't read pp, but can your mum take the dog for he next year or so until a more natural time comes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I'd give him to a shelter or the RSPCA. Someone somewhere would take him.

Good luck, so sorry you're in this situation