+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Are carbs an ESSENTIAL part of a child's dinnertime?

What do people think is wrong with carbs?

If I gave my kids steak and salad for dinner they would eat the salad and a small amount of the steak but they would be hungry 20 min later

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

DS1 usually has *some* carbs each night, I wouldn't say it's essential, but we prefer him to. I agree that there needs to be a balance.

DS2 has to have at least one serve with every main meal (15g) because he has T1 diabetes, so it's essential for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Are carbs an ESSENTIAL part of a child's dinnertime?

I didnt realise it was something kids *should*be eat every dinner time.

We rarely have carbs such as pasta etc and my ds does not eat potatoes.

We normally have meat & veg or a stir fry or a stew,

Ds is 2 and mostly 'picks' at dinner, the only time he will clean his bowl right out with with spaghetti bol.

He also sleeps 6.30/7 pm - between 6.30 - 8 am waking a few times over night for water & i can not get him to eat breakfast til he has been awake for at least an hour,
    He does not really like to eat at all and is super fussy

He has breast milk twice a day (morning & evening), at 27 months not sure what or how much he is getting from that.
    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

There are carbs in veg & salad. So your family IS having carbs at dinner, just not starchy carbs.

Ideally every meal should be 'holistic' and include carbs, protein & healthy fats.

But in the real world where time is of the essence, it just doesn't always happen.

If your family is having starchy carbs (bread, potato, rice, peas, cereal etc) at breakfast or lunch then no, they don't NEED them at dinner too.

Ive recently started a (mild) clean eatting diet, and coped flack for feeding DD the same food.

As far as I'm concerned I look at a whole days intake. If they are getting the required nutrients from wholesome foods, then no, they don't need the additives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    What do people think is wrong with carbs?

If I gave my kids steak and salad for dinner they would eat the salad and a small amount of the steak but they would be hungry 20 min later
    Carbs are great for kids, fruit,veg,beans,wholemeal bread and pasta and brown rice it's the refined ones that's the problem, white bread,pasta,rice cause spikes in blood sugar levels which normally pushes your insulin levels up and then they crash making you hungrier quicker, however protein, fibre and veggies ( steak and salad ) have the opposite effect and keep you full for longer so are really a perfect night time meal

I think also with kids they tend to fill up on the refined carbs first ( bread/rice/pasta) and then don't eat enough of their protein/veg - I know some kids eat toast for brekky, sandwiches for lunch, pasta/rice for dinner then add on the snacks/sugar/juice/cordial/softdrink and their refined carb intake is crazy - this is apparently one of the reasons diabetes is on the rise in kids

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (07-09-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Thanks Elijah's mummy those are my thoughts too

My kids have 3 serves of 'starchy' carbs a day just seems like I'm hearing it's bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My kids have starchy carbs every night. Rice, pasta, quinoa, potato. I know that if I don't eat carbs at night I'm hungry again before bed (and that is, if I have steak and salad for example) so I don't wNt my kids to feel the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I think maybe you are hungry without carbs as your body is craving them ( I know I did before I cut down!) after a while your body adjusts to not having the sugar hit and you should be fine , we rarely eat pasta/rice for dinner and neither does DS

Thanks
    Reviews

Only time I eat starchy carbs really is when I'm craving it or if DF is making it. We rarely eat rice or potato, and only have pasta once or twice a week. I don't eat much bread either, probably once a week. It seems the only time I really eat carbs is if I'm eating junk food, or craving it really badly (when AF is visiting)
    It just makes me feel crap every single time I eat it. Right now the thought of eating carbs makes me want to vomit.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Our house is carb central. No meal is complete without it. Rice features 3-5 times a week, then pasta and occ potato. I also use chickpeas very often.

I use it to bulk up the meal - fills you up for less.

If I only served steak/salad/Veges for dinner - I would have to make a pudding or heavier dessert. Otherwise I could do something lighter. DH already gets up 1-2 times a night for food (for him) and gets cranky if dinner isn't filling.