+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Are carbs an ESSENTIAL part of a child's dinnertime?

I was recently talking to some people about what I was feeding my family for dinner.

"OMG, where are the carbs?" was a bit of a popular reaction. lol.

It was steak and salad. We regularly have dinner without carbs. Maybe stir fry without any noodles or rice. Fish with some veges. Etc. No potato, rice, bread, etc.

We still have plenty of carby dinners too, but some people seemed to think that carbs must be in EVERY dinnertime meal.

What do you think?

The way I see it, DP eats crap so has plenty of carbs... and DD eats sandwiches and cereal each day, so carbs then too.

Thoughts?

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I'm pretty sure it's healthier to eat carbs earlier in the day than at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

We don't eat carbs at night... We get a lot at brekkie and lunch and dinner is normally meat and veg or salad

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I actually think carbs are important part of dinner. I think you need a combination of carbs and protein to be satisfied and full and sleep well overnight. Too much carbs or too much protein isn't good at any one meal.

That said though, if your meals are high in veggies, you are getting some carbs that way.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

We do most nights

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Are carbs an ESSENTIAL part of a child's dinnertime?

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
    I actually think carbs are important part of dinner. I think you need a combination of carbs and protein to be satisfied and full and sleep well overnight. Too much carbs or too much protein isn't good at any one meal.

That said though, if your meals are high in veggies, you are getting some carbs that way.
    This, but she said it much better than I would have.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

duckduckgoose  (06-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

As pp said people assume carbs are just bread /pasta/rice but veggies and fruit have plenty of carbs, also I think carbs are more important for all of us at brekky and lunch as we can burn them off during the day plus my naturopath thinks we need to be feeding our kids more healthy fats ( avocado, coconut oil, nuts etc) and proteins

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I don't think they are essential. I know I avoid them at night personally because they make me feel like crap.

Thanks
    Reviews

I try and include some carbs each night. Even a side of rice salad or cheesy pasta to accompany meat and veggies. It's more for my benefit though so I know they're full!
    My kids eat a lot of pasta of spaghetti, it's just a hit with them and I can pack all sorts of things in with it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Are carbs an ESSENTIAL part of a child's dinnertime?

Id say protien would be most important and as it makes you satisfied for longer. But I have a love/hate rship with carbs

Sent from my GT-I5503T using BubHub