Closed Thread
Page 9 of 96 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, I've popped my cherry - injected myself for the first time in my life. It actually wasn't that bad! The needle is so small and fine that I only felt a small pinprick. And I managed to get it in at the right angle, and remembered not to take my thumb off the press button until I'd taken the needle out. Phew! DH sat next to me and read through the instructions and kissed me afterwards. Apparently I'm due flowers too .

Vivre, I'm not doing antagonists. Straight to stims for me, says my FS, and who am I to argue. So it's CD2 for me and I have five more shots of Gonal-F to stimulate my follicles, then a scan on Friday, then probably more Gonal-F and then they add another daily injection of Cetrotide to prevent ovulation before schedule, then a jab of Ovidrel to trigger ovulation, probably next Friday, then the bit I'm really worried about, the egg retrieval. And then two weeks of progesterone pessaries during the TWW - I'm so totally used to those from four Clomid cycles that it'll be quite a relief.

But it's really only just hitting me that this is actually happening. in two weeks I'll be on an operating table under light anaesthesia having eggs sucked out of my follicles. It's freaking me out just a little. I wish DH would finish playing Borderlands and come to bed...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RoRo For This Useful Post:

MrsErinR  (11-10-2012),NAT256  (11-10-2012),Vivre  (09-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Vivre - I'm not careful about temp taking times at all any more so I can't tell you whether daylight savings had an effect. I've had mostly sleepless nights with work for weeks so I just take it at any time I have had a couple of hours straight. Seems to still detect ovulation so that's okay.

RoRo - That's huge!!!! Well done!!! It's all so real when I read your post. Thanks for sharing as I'm really interested to hear how it is as you go along. I really wish you ALL the luck in the world to hit the jackpot! (and let us know the annoying or gory side effects as you go, might as well know the truth )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well done Ro and congrats on the first injection. I have T1D so Ive been doing injections for years but I can understand how it may be scary for others when they first start
    Im confused now because what you describe is pretty much what im going to be doing just different drug types and I start on Day 3 and I got told that was antagonist. Oh well, it doesnt matter what you can it, its all about a positive result
    The progesterone pessaries is what im least looking forward to.. Did you have any side effects from those because thats where Im expecting the worst..
    Anyway good luck and Im so excited for you & hoping for a great result
    We shall all wait with baited breath

Good news for me is no more cramps.. maybe its implantation, she says laughing because that's probably only about the 5th time I thought that had happenend
    My temp is back to normal today as well so the wait continues..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope it really is implantation, Vivre!

I might have got the terminology wrong (which isn't like me, but I've been distracted) - but it does sound like we're doing much the same regimen. My second injection was much less scary than the first, now that I know it doesn't actually hurt.

Progesterone pessaries aren't really a big deal, at least for me. I was using Utrogestan, which is a 2 pessaries, 3 times a day thing. Once I got used to the constant slimy I've-just-started-AF feeling, the only side effects I had were the pregnancy symptoms they brought on - slight nausea, slightly sore BBs, slight heartburn, gradually increasing temp during the TWW. Certainly increased the height of the TWW emotional rollercoaster for me.

CD4 and I'm getting the occasional slight ovary twinge, which I don't usually get until CD11 or 12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, IVF is on! Here goes my run down (feel free to skip, scan over or nod off during my BLAH....)

I had a phone consult with the Dr yesterday and she gave me my results. My AMH is low. She said 14 is good, 3 is bad and I'm only 4.7. My FSH is slightly high too - more bad news. But hubby's sperm is good (not that he's bragging or anything...MUCH!)

She asked what we'd thought and I said we're keen to go ahead straight away, so we are. So here's the rundown she told me. She'll put me on 300mg stimulant - a high dose. Then will do the injecting of the egg with sperm (hopeless with correct terminology) if we have less than 7 eggs. If we have more than 7 eggs she'll do half injected and half find each other in the dish (like my vast knowledge of terms?)

Then she asked about implanting 2 embryos if we're lucky enough to have 2. They offer this to over 38 year olds so age is good for something. Understanding the risks, we've decided we'll definitely go this way.

They've been really helpful being a country patient so far so that's good. A nurse rang and talked me through how we'll go about it all. I told them that if it's ever a disadvantage I'm happy to come the city but at this stage they assure me there's no need. So they will courier my medication to me at home tomorrow with a DVD on injecting etc. Then a nurse will ring next Tuesday for a consultation to go over my meds/injecting etc and answer any questions. There's a patient portal on the website to register when Day 1 of the cycle is and keep in touch about my meds etc.

I asked about counselling as I know some of you had had to do this. We don't have to but it's definitely there any time we need. I may need to take advantage of this!!!

So what are others doing with the injecting sperm or not injecting sperm, what rate of stimulant are you on and are you having 2 embryos implanted?

Right now we're in our final ovulation before IVF so I'm still absolutely hoping for a natural lucky conception over the next few days

Good luck Vivre REALLY hope it's implantation!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT256 For This Useful Post:

Vivre  (11-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for putting your initial IVF progress up here. I am so interested reading about your meds and initial experiences. We should be finding out what we will do next week and hopefully starting in November.

I suspect that the FS is going to suggest IVF with ICSI for us, and not regular IVF or IUI but we'll wait to see I guess. i was wondering if they would do a combo of IVF and IVF(ICSI) and NAT256, it seems like that's what they've suggested for you??

We also chatted with the counsellor about 2 vs 1 embryo. If you remember the pros and cons Nat256, I'd love to hear about them.

I'm also wondering what would be the reason behind the FS choosing for you to have an Agonist or Antagonist cycle if anyone knows?

So many questions...sorry!

In other news here, I told my boss yesterday about our IVF plans and she was great and said that they would support me in what I needed with time off etc.

Also, very crappily...I got AF yesterday on my 40th bday! Not a great pressie hey!? Oh well...I'm kind of figuring IVF is the go now. Sadly, I have kind of given up on it happening naturally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    MrsErinR - HAPPY 40!!!!! I hope this year brings you the very best present in the form of a little one!!

In answer to your question, the main pros and cons of 2 vs 1 embryo were the usual risks associated with twin pregnancies. More chance of premature babies, higher blood pressure, increased chance of ceasarian etc. 2 gives a slightly higher chance of success with conceiving obviously. As far as she spoke about I don't think there is any difference to the IVF process itself. However the doctor is sending out a 4 page information pack about making this choice with the consent form to go ahead, so we'll read it carefully when that comes.

As for actually having twins, my brother and his wife have twins who are 14 years old now so I have definitely seen the pros and cons on the baby, child and teenage front!!

Well, my pack of medication arrived today and....wow! It kind of freaked me out to see so many boxes of medications and syringes. Ouch!! I watched the DVD and .....ouch!! I hope you're right RoRo and it's not as bad as it looks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh MrsErin poor you, that sucks in a major way. Happy Birthday by they way and I hope you had a great day in spite of everything

Thanks RoRo for the Pessaries guff. Im worried because im increasingly turning into a psyco every 2WW from a hormone perspective. I never used to be this way but atleast I never used to monitor every symptom known to man

Wow Nat, that sounds like a big phone call
    From our perspective we arre taking the advice of our FS. Not that I remember having too much choice but Im sure if we felt strongly we could have changed.

1 embryo for us, mainly because Id be a high risk pregnancy anyway from my age and other medical reasons. Erin I think the pros are a slight increase in chance of implantation although I was surprised that you are much more likely to get pregnant with twins rather than only 1 of them implanting.

We are starting with IVF with no injections of sperm. I think that the injection is ICSI and low dose of stimulation, but I wont find out how much until we start.

In other non IVF related news, I have freaked myself out because yesterday and big TMI warning!!!!!!
    On the positive side, I had yellow creamy mucus yesterday along with mild cramping.
    Its the first time Ive seen it and Dr Google has given mixed reactions to what it means..
    On the negative side,Ive also had mild cramping and started to feel tired and grumpy (which is same old 2WW behaviour)
    2WW symptom spotting Im well and truly over it.. AF due on Monday so Im counting down as this week has been long

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yay Vivre - at least it sounds hopeful. Keeping for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Happy belated birthday, MrsErinR. I hope you had a good day, in spite of the arrival of the suckful visitor. It's great that your boss is going to support you while you do IVF - sounds like a good place to work.

Those symptoms sound hopeful, Vivre - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you over the weekend. The TWW is psychological torture!

Roro, I'm glad you've got the injecting worked out. Your DH sounds really supportive - mine would have passed out!

I'm really glad you're starting IVF next cycle, NAT256. It's great that you're doing what is the right thing for you, and not letting the hassles and distractions at work override your personal plans. Twins are hard during pregnancy and lots of work when they're young, but how great would it be to have two kids?!?

AFM - have been avoiding phone calls from my mum this week, as I don't really want to talk about my sister's news. I'm considering calling Mum this weekend and fessing up about what's gone on, and why I need a bit of distance from the "excitement" right now.

On a more positive note, I visited the naturopath on Monday and she's given us the green light to TTC. (Not that we hadn't already been doing that...) I got back day 21 test results from last month and it looks like I had a good strong ovulation, so at least that appears to be working. And despite DH's scepticism, the herbs and acupuncture appear to have smoothed my temperatures out quite a lot.

We're on CD11 now. DH has to fly to work next Wed (and had to fight to push it back that far), so I'm hoping like crazy that O will be on Monday or Tuesday. Big weekend of BDing ahead!
    Last edited by Gentoo; 12-10-2012 at 10:46.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

NAT256  (12-10-2012)