Closed Thread
Page 5 of 96 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow, IVF is certainly a complicated process. I'm getting a bad feeling that I may also have to head down that path.

I had my first appt with a fertility naturopath today. She told me not to stress about my age, and I came out feeling positive and confident that we can get my body baby-ready within a couple of months. Then this evening I went along to the acupuncturist and got the results of my blood tests - and discovered that my AMH is only 5.6 (should be 14 or so).

I just feel gutted Is there even any point continuing TTC naturally? With this AMH, should I be heading straight to the GP for a FS referral? My day 3 FSH/LH/E2/progesterone levels were all within the normal range.

I told DH about the results, and he just doesn't get it. As far as he's concerned, we've gotten pregnant easily once so we can do it again, and I am overreacting. He hears, but he just won't listen! What do I have to do to make him realise that this may not be the piece of cake he believes it will be?!?

I'm now torn as to whether to TTC this week. The naturopath wants us to wait a cycle or two for the supplements to kick in so that my eggs are "top-quality" (HAH!) and I'm less likely to have a blighted ovum again. But after this evening's news, desperation has kicked in and I feel like my chances are falling with each passing second, so why waste a single month?

Enough about me (again). How is everyone else going? Has your work situation become more amenable, NAT? I hope your appt goes well. And I've got my fingers crossed for a last-minute reprieve baby for you, Vivre.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wunsi, thank you for that insight into IVF. My fiancé and I have discussed it, and whilst we haven’t ruled it out, we don’t think it is a path we will go down. It is interesting though when I think about it as really, in your case, it seems it is the only way to have the sperm penetrate the egg.

Nat, good luck for you appointment tomorrow. I hope your work situation has also improved.

Vivre, hopefully this cycle works for you but if not, good luck for your journey.

Gentoo, I am in a sort of similar situation to you. I have been seeing a TCM practitioner for 3 weeks. At our first appointment, she told us not to try for 3 months. I thought yeah right. She told us that she had another couple try after a month with her. They got pregnant, but lost it at 7 weeks. I think I don’t want it to happen to us, but then I think well it hasn’t happened so far so what are the odds. I first saw her 2 days after I ovulated and my luteal phase last month was 14 days. When I had charted it had varied between 11 – 13. I have also noticed with my temps this cycle, that they are not erratic. I wil be interested to see whether it is just a co-incidence, or if it does the same thing next month. Previously they had been up and down till I ovulated. Another bonus was that I hardly had cramps this month. She told us to give her about 4 months and we should stick to that. I detest drinking the herbs but am enjoying the acupuncture. I find it relaxing and also seem to have a bit more energy.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Over 35's beginning the journey #2

Thank you so much for sharing your IVF experiences. We're likely to be starting in October and it's great to get some insight so keep the info coming. Good luck to you Nat for your Ivf appointment. Please tell us all about it.

My DH has had sperm analysis and there was a bit of a problem there so I'm sure we'll be going ivf or at least iui now. I suspect maybe ICSI like Wunsi so I hope it works for us too. I'm having Tubal patency test tomorrow, eeeek!

Gentoo, don't panic about the AMH. It's not a measure of quality and you could still have lots of good eggs. It only takes one! Maybe if you seek some advice from a FS you might feel a bit comforted??
    Last edited by MrsErinR; 18-09-2012 at 11:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh Gentoo, that's a tough one. I think I'd feel the need to try each month at this stage but I completely understand the quality thing too. Tough call and good luck!! I don't know much about what the AMH means as I haven't done that yet, but as MrsErinR says, it's only one good one we all need!!

My work situation is still rubbish but I'm resigned to the fact that nothing will be sorted for many weeks now so I have to learn to live with it. It's an awful situation and causing great stress to us all but process is process and we are tied to being patient and trying to manage as best we can.

Well, there seems to be a pattern here (those of you who've read my posts for a while will see) but DH has gone off the deep end last night and this morning and is now unsure if he wants kids etc. He has a tendency to do a last minute freak out when things are hard so I should've expected it the day before our IVF appointment. I think that's all it is, but of course it's very upsetting. He has been more determined to have kids than me all along. He was absolute that he wanted to be a dad. Now it feels as though I've spent a year of this, having an operation, everything and he thinks he'll pull the pin!!!
    I know I need to stay calm and rational and talk about his fears but I just want to whack him over the head and tell him to grow up (very helpful I'm sure...)
    I think he doesn't give any of it a second thought until it's actually happening and then freaks out. I've had this appointment booked for months! Can't he put a bit of thought in prior so we don't have to go through this every time??? Grrrrr

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Wunsi its good to hear and agree each experience seems to go differently.

Im already over the costs as everytime I look there is some additional cost that I hadn't factored in. We're lucky we have savings and great jobs so providing we can juggle it, we can give it a go for awhile and assess as we go..
    Ive spent most of this week trying to sort out Medicare, Drs bills and my lap surgery costs. Its been such a saga and ended up costing me 1K even though we have health insurance.
    My hubby joked that when it comes to IVF I may need to get a PA. I might head to an outsourcing company to see what they can do..

For me this cycle has been the longest ever. AF is due on Saturday but we have to make a last minute trip interstate so we are debating as to whether to hold off for one more month, just because logistically I dont think Ill be able to organise & collect everything
    Only occasion mild cramping over last couple of days so I suppose I shouldnt give up hope just yet

For some reason when I replied yesterday I didnt see the 4 posts above.. Sounds like lots of investigation ongoing and some trouble with Hubbies.

If you makes you feel better my hubby goes through similar stages. I never though even if we werent successful we'd end up doing IVF as my husband is prone to man-panic attacks. (Dont get me started on the sperm sample traumas from his perspective)
    The good thing is the more this goes on the more his brain adjusts to the process and he's being really sweet.

Good luck with all the trips to the naturapaths and acupuncturists, lets hope it brings great results.
    Last edited by Vivre; 19-09-2012 at 22:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi again. I posted yesterday but it was lost when bub hub had a crash. So I'll recall and write again...
    Went to first IVF appt yesterday and they want the AMH test plus a heap of other bloods I've already had done previously so they have their own results. Hubby also has to do another sample.

Of course hubby came around the day after his meltdown and it was all just the overwhelming step into IVF that freaked him. Now he's been great and really interested and really keen again so that's good. Hopefully he's seen his own pattern now and will communicate earlier from now on! And I didn't need to whack him round the head so that's always good....

So we'll do the tests at the beginning of my next cycle in a couple of weeks, have a phone link up with the dr in the middle of next month and then start on my next cycle if all is okay. So we're looking at starting IVF in November. That gives us this cycle and next to keep trying and we'll be doing our best to avoid IVF if we can!

My OPKs aren't working as well for me as they used to and I'm not sure if I'm ovulating at the moment or not so I'm playing it safe this month and not gonna stop trying until AF arrives!! Determination has to count for something!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad to hear it went ok Nat, sounds like you may have also find some issues around your travel issues which is also good.

Well I had a change of plan in the last 24 hours, AF arrived really early (ie I was expected Sat) and resulted in my shortest ever cycle. Im officially worried about what is going on now but since we are at the crossroads hopefully it doesnt matter.
    Ive also felt really strange, kind of like Im getting sick but with no real symptoms.. all very strange
    We had to make a decision about starting IVF but I couldnt clear enough of my schedule to get it organised with our trip away so we are starting next cycle which a this rate may not be too far away
    Im kind of glad in a way because I started a new job 2 weeks which has been really stressful so throw in IVF on top and Im not sure I would be coping. Hoping six weeks under my belt will make it easier..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Vivre - your cycles sound like mine, suddenly deciding to be difficult! As you say, at least you're on the next path if need be so hopefully it doesn't make as much difference. It sounds as though you and I will be starting together. Although I'm keeping fingers crossed that neither of us will have to! Is it possible that it's not AF for you but implantation??
    Mrs ErinR - any news on your tubal patency test? Hope it went well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT256 For This Useful Post:

Vivre  (23-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just started the TWW - in the end I decided that while the naturopath was well-meaning, I just couldn't miss this month. I've only been on the supplements and trying to change my diet for a few days but already feel less hungry and bloated, so if nothing else it might be a good way to lose a few kilos and feel better. What herbs has your practioner given you, Byline? I've got a huge pile of tablets - Ovarianne, Q10, an anti-oxidant, fish oil, a prenatal, folic acid, vitex, calcium & magnesium, and vitamin D. Probably don't actually need to eat a meal with all that lot!

I'm a bit less freaked out after reading up about AMH. A lower number basically means there are less follicles developing eggs each month, so less to choose from when a dominant follicle is selected. (Which would mean lower egg collection for IVF). But I'm feeling more hopeful that it doesn't mean I won't necessarily produce a single, good egg each month. On the plus side, this cycle I ovulated at CD 15 - the same day as the month we got a BFP - so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

Meanwhile, DH's employer has decided to move an on-site audit that was timed for late October to mid-October - and perfectly timed to mean he'd be away for O day and the days leading up to it. He's unimpressed and is going to argue that he doesn't actually need to go to site for it, but it may be non-negotiable. If it was in a capital city I'd suggest flying over to meet him, but given that it's in the middle of the Tanami desert that's a no-go. It seems that there are a few of us having timing difficulties - so much for well-laid plans!

How are you feeling, MrsErinR?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all,

I had the tubal patency tesy (HyCoSy) on wednesday. It was expensive and not at all pleasant! But the good news is that both tubes are 'patent' which basically means open.

It was quite quick fortunately but I did feel a bit sick for a day or two, and had a bit of bleeding.

It was very cool to see my ovaries on the scan and chock-full of eggs! 20 in one and 12 in the other. Surely there must be a good one there somewhere!! Plus i got to see 3d image of my uterus. On the downside they found 9 fibroids, where previous ultrasound only found 3 so I'm annoyed with previous ultrasound. Good news though, is that none are intruding into the uterus. Still worries me though, especially one that is quite big.

Glad to hear you are all progressing along ok. I'm so grateful to have you ladies to share this with, especially as we probably head into IVF too. I have lots to ask on that front.

If you want to know anything about the tubal patency test then feel free to ask. Thanks for asking how I got on.