Closed Thread
Page 76 of 77 FirstFirst ... 266674757677 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF over 40 #5

Hi everyone,

Thought I would update you on my cycle. Had EPU today, they got 4 eggs. I am happy with that number as it is good for me. Will find out tomorrow fertilisation rates.

So looks like will be a 3DT. My FS has recommended transferring 2. I am nervous about that as I really don't want twins. Then on the other hand as none of my embryos ever make it to freezing should I increase my chances of a BFP by transferring 2???

What are people's thoughts on transferring 2?

Wave to you all.
    Beetle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations Beetle on the great egg haul! Hope they all fertilise...

I can't make any recommendations on the number, I've always just gone with the FS. Thinking of you for your transfer Hope you are recovering well from EPU.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    GREAT EPU result!!! Party in the petrie dish tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    ...My FS has recommended transferring 2. I am nervous about that as I really don't want twins. Then on the other hand as none of my embryos ever make it to freezing should I increase my chances of a BFP by transferring 2???

Each embryo has it's own chance.
    If you put in two then you don't have double the chance, you have the same chance twice. Finanically it means 1 cycle cost for 2 embryos chances.
    If you really don't want to risk twins then I suggest freeze and wait. By putting in one it may take longer but as any spares will be frozen then it's not like they are deteriorating. The only thing good about DET is that it might make the time you wait to see if an embryo takes shorter as you use them up quicker. Basically it comes down to patience.
    The exception (and this is up to you to decide what's right for you) IF one is not freezable BUT is good enough for fresh transfer then it might be worth putting it in as a DET instead of losing it.
    I did a DET once and stressed every moment of my 2WW worrying about twins.
    I had a BFP chem- and still wonder if it ended up this way because they were competing.

The DET statisitics show increased pregnancy rates.
    BUT statistics also show a reduced take home baby rate with DET.
    In other words you might get pregnant by doubling your chances but in the end you may not get a baby to take home due to the risks associated with twins.

Another perspective to consider: your eggs are ageing constantly. IF your embryos fail and you plan to do a Stim Cycle again the longer between stim cycles the older your eggs are getting. This is a plus for DET.

Hope that all made sense?
    It is something I have debated and worked out over this last year too.
    From now on I will be sticking with single ET.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fortitude For This Useful Post:

Praxie05  (16-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone,

Thought I would update you on my cycle. Had EPU today, they got 4 eggs. I am happy with that number as it is good for me. Will find out tomorrow fertilisation rates.

So looks like will be a 3DT. My FS has recommended transferring 2. I am nervous about that as I really don't want twins. Then on the other hand as none of my embryos ever make it to freezing should I increase my chances of a BFP by transferring 2???

Wave to you all.
    Beetle
    great news on the eggies... now lets hope they fertilise well...
    this may help you...
    in eggs > 40 only 2/10 are normal chromosomally
    >42 only 1/10 may be normal chromosomally
    The risk of twins in the over 40s with a DET is around <1% in <35yr 4%
    studies show a DET leads to a shorter time to get pregnant with less cycles needed.

I hope that this helps... I do 3x3day embryos or 2 blasts... only every had a singleton...
    Its a decision you have to feel comfortable about but most FS will transfer more than one in women over 38yrs
    Last edited by micca; 07-02-2013 at 17:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Beetle....awesome stuff. Look forward to hearing how they are going. You say they never make it to freezing so I say go for it. Totally hope that it works for you and sending you every ounce of positive thoughts and good wishes hun xxxx

AFM... thinking, thinking, thinking. Am starting basic screening testing next week and starting to collate the gruesome history. Looks like it is O/S for us and we will leave our last little frosty alone and re-evaluate that situation if the overseas donor process doesn't work. Not thinking about the negatives.....it will work!!!!!

So, costing flights, accommodation etc and plan on travelling in June.

DJ

Thanks
    Reviews
    Beetle, congrats on pickup. Hope they fertilise well. I never worried about twins as the chance seems so low and always thought of it as increasing the chance of success by putting in 2.

AFM finally got AF and starting a new cycle with GH daily with a new FS who is so calm and encouraging despite our difficult issues so throwing everything into this cycle.

Hope everyone is well.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF over 40 #5

Hi ladies ,

Just received call from FN and it wasn't good news. Of the 4 eggs 2 were immature, the third one disintegrated before icsi and the fourth one hasn't fertilised. My worst cycle ever. The last cycle I had that went to transfer I got 5 fertilised eggs and transferred a 5 day embryo. So a big change.

I must say I am cool with what has happened. Having had a break over Christmas I must say I enjoyed not thinking about ivf and enjoying life. I am so lucky to have DD and at 18 months old she is very entertaining.

So I am going to bow out of this journey and enjoy a drink tonight!

All the best to you all.

Hugs, Beetle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kenta...Hope it goes well for you. Fingers crossed that the new FS is just what you need and that it all goes to plan. Let us know how you are tracking.

Beetle...How are they going? Any news yet? Let us know... thinking of you!

AFM...Have an appointment Monday afternoon with a new GP. Have given up on mine and going to DPs. Will get all the referrals for tests etc and book in for the pap and booby squish!! Having a B12 shot this arvo. Loving that for a brief moment I am in control of stuff(for now anyway) and feeling calm and relaxed. Knowing the path we feel comfortable with is certainly helping!

Micca/Sunny...We are all systems go here. How are you and what are you up to?

xx

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Two isnt that scary

A friend recently had twins with one embryo transferred, so two doesn't necessarily mean both will take.

We have had mainly two transferred (as our FS usually does that for over 40's) and the recent pregnancy (that resulted in a m/c) we had three transferred and one took.

It is something to think about hard with "what if" but as you only have 4 and you don't know how many will fertilise, i would go with the two as your FS has suggested

Annemarie

Hi everyone,

Wave to you all.
    Beetle

Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF over 40 #5

Beetle, so sorry it sucks! what is with us and bad cycles after good ones, well sort of good ones. Enjoy the wine.
    AFM - I am seeing acupuncturist and Dr to try and find and fix the reason for this constant nausea that I am feeling! Really feeling old and yucky!

Hope everyone else are on the up-n-upxxx